Solved

How to set up automatic email confirmation for newsletter sign up in Palo Alto theme?

bpappy
Excursionist
25 0 8

Hello,

I am using the Palo Alto Theme for my store , bpappy.com.

I have a Pop-Up that asks people to add their email to get a discount code. I tested this out using an email profile I own not associated to the website. I did not receive an email confirmation after signing up. It seems that I can go into my Shopify account and click on that Customer and then send them a confirmation email. 

What is the setting in order to ensure when someone adds their email in the Pop Up that they get an automatic confirmation?

Note: I also have a newsletter sign up field in the footer. Not sure if the process would be the same for that?

thanks

Matthew

Accepted Solution (1)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, Matthew!

Sophia here from Shopify. It sounds like you may need to enable double opt-in under Settings > Notifications in your Shopify admin, but I'm happy to do some troubleshooting with a copy of the Palo Alto theme on my test store if that setting is already enabled. Here's what it looks like:

21-03-34l8y-83xav

Are you using the popup that is built into the Palo Alto theme, or a different one from a third-party app? I believe that both the Palo Alto popup and the newsletter signup in the footer should add subscribers to the Customers list in your admin. If double opt-in is enabled, customers will be listed as "Pending confirmation" until they confirm via the link they are emailed, and if double-opt-in is disabled, customers are listed as "Subscribed" without receiving an email. Let me know if that helps!

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 12 (12)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, Matthew!

Sophia here from Shopify. It sounds like you may need to enable double opt-in under Settings > Notifications in your Shopify admin, but I'm happy to do some troubleshooting with a copy of the Palo Alto theme on my test store if that setting is already enabled. Here's what it looks like:

21-03-34l8y-83xav

Are you using the popup that is built into the Palo Alto theme, or a different one from a third-party app? I believe that both the Palo Alto popup and the newsletter signup in the footer should add subscribers to the Customers list in your admin. If double opt-in is enabled, customers will be listed as "Pending confirmation" until they confirm via the link they are emailed, and if double-opt-in is disabled, customers are listed as "Subscribed" without receiving an email. Let me know if that helps!

bpappy
Excursionist
25 0 8

Thank you for those tips.

I was able to enable those settings.

Still not seeing the flow I'd like. Could you go to the website bpappy.com and wait 30 seconds for the pop up to appear and then put in your email and follow the steps. Once you confirm your subscription you will be presented a confirmation on the website that says the following below. I would like to know where to go to update the message.

BPAPPY
Thank you for subscribing to our mailing list.

You can unsubscribe at any time.

Unsubscribe

Second question. In the Notifications- Customer- Customer account welcome. Do you know when the customer receives this email? What do they need to be signing up for?  It says- Sent automatically to the customer when they complete their account activation. Is account activation different than the email subscriber?

At the end of the day, when someone enters their email in the pop up I want the final confirmation email to have a note in it with the Discount code I am offering, so finding where to update that message is the goal here. 

Thanks so much,

Matthew

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

Great questions! I've organized the answers into sections here for your reference.

Changing the wording in themes

The message a customer sees on your website after subscribing to the newsletter can be edited under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit language, in the Checkout & system section. You can also use the search bar near the top of the page to narrow down the results and find the text you need to edit.

21-03-im2ig-o663o

Customer accounts vs. email subscriptions

Customer accounts are different than email subscriptions, and it's possible for customers to have one and not the other. Customers can create an account to view all of their orders in one place. Some stores require customers to have an account before making a purchase. You can decide whether accounts are required, optional, or disabled if not needed under Settings > Checkout in the admin.

21-03-uxtfv-h0hz4 
Offering a discount code to new email subscribers

Customers will receive an email with a link to confirm their subscription (the Confirmation email notification under Settings > Notifications), but the final message appears on your store, not in an additional email. A discount code can be added to the thank you message that customers see on your store after confirming their subscription.

If you'd prefer to send a discount via email, that would depend on the email marketing service you're using to contact customers about updates and promotions. Popular options include Klaviyo, Seguno, and Privy. Alternatively, you can use an app like Auto Discount: Welcome Voucher to send a one-time discount to new email subscribers.

Let me know if you have any questions about what I've covered here and I'd be happy to further discuss with you.

bpappy
Excursionist
25 0 8

Hi Sophia! Great tips, thank you. I was able to change the message on the website. I will look in to those apps you suggest.

-Matthew

thomas70
Visitor
1 0 1

Am I assuming correctly that with the double opt-in requirement to be enabled to receive a email notification after a sbuscription to the newsletter, the customers will be able to see the discount in the automated email before having to confirm their subscription through the email? 

I doubt a lot of customers will go through the subscription if they have the information they were looking for just before.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@thomas70 wrote:

Am I assuming correctly that with the double opt-in requirement to be enabled to receive a email notification after a sbuscription to the newsletter, the customers will be able to see the discount in the automated email before having to confirm their subscription through the email? 

I doubt a lot of customers will go through the subscription if they have the information they were looking for just before.

Hey, @thomas70!

Adding the discount code to Shopify's Confirmation email notification is an option if you're not using an email marketing service that can send out custom automated emails. You're right that in this case, the customer would see the discount code in the same email that contains the button to confirm their subscription.

Another store in this thread is using the confirmation message that appears on the online store after the customer clicks to confirm their subscription. That can be a good option if the discount code for all new subscribers is the same, in which case it can be added under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit languages. The "Thank you for subscribing to our mailing list" text is under the Checkout & System section.

To have the discount code sent via email after a customer confirms their subscription, you can set up and automated email with an email marketing service like Seguno or Privy.

PureTime
Explorer
66 2 23

@Sophia 

So Shopify E-mail can't handle the mails that are being sent to user in the subscription process?

If I want a single opt-in with a discount code for the user in a form of 'welcome mail' (or subscription accepted-mail) - then I simply can't do that with the combination of Shopify and Shopify Email?

I am aware that I can inlude it in the dobbelt opt-in-mail or in the screen after - but it seems to me there is a big gap to fill for Shopify to be on-level with other providers on this area.

What is the point to use Shopify Email if I still have to use e.g. Klaviyo to handle a welcome email with a discount code?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@PureTime wrote:

@Sophia 

So Shopify E-mail can't handle the mails that are being sent to user in the subscription process?

If I want a single opt-in with a discount code for the user in a form of 'welcome mail' (or subscription accepted-mail) - then I simply can't do that with the combination of Shopify and Shopify Email?

I am aware that I can inlude it in the dobbelt opt-in-mail or in the screen after - but it seems to me there is a big gap to fill for Shopify to be on-level with other providers on this area.

What is the point to use Shopify Email if I still have to use e.g. Klaviyo to handle a welcome email with a discount code?

Hi, @PureTime.

Shopify Email can be used to easily send email marketing campaigns directly from your admin. I appreciate your interest in using Shopify Email, and I understand that it doesn't currently include all of the features that you're used to with your current email marketing service.

While automatons (like sending discount codes to new subscribers) aren't currently a feature of Shopify Email,  our developers are aware of this request. I am happy to submit feedback on your behalf as well. In the meantime, please keep an eye on our changelog for updates.

andreias
Visitor
1 0 0

Where can I edit the page that you see when you click on double opt-in email (subscribe button)?

I can see where to edit the copy below:

Unsubscribe

But what about the actual page? It looks terrible.

Thank you

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@andreias wrote:

Where can I edit the page that you see when you click on double opt-in email (subscribe button)?

I can see where to edit the copy below:

Unsubscribe

But what about the actual page? It looks terrible.

Thank you

Hi, @andreias!

The design of the page is determined by your theme, so you can check for design settings in the theme editor under Online Store > Themes > Customize. At the top of the theme editor, you'll find a drop down menu that is likely set to Home page by default. Select the menu and look for Others to see if the page you want to edit is listed there. Here is an example of what the Others menu looks like in the theme editor:

23-52-95149-88768

Depending on what you want to change, custom coding might be required. If you don't see the settings you're looking for in the theme editor but would be comfortable customizing the code on your own, I recommend posting a new question on the Shopify Design board to ask the community for advice. Remember to be specific about what you want to change, and include the name of your theme so that you receive the most accurate solutions possible. Alternatively, you can work with a Shopify Expert if you'd like someone to make the changes for you.

SayHi_2021
Tourist
4 1 1

Dear Sophia,

I have the same question but I am using the Pipeline Theme. I checked the box to enable double opt-in but I don't think this resolve the problem. Because it's not about making sure that the customers want to leave double consent to receive emails, but sending this one specific notification that he signed up for an email and received the discount code. Correct me if I am wrong. I would totally aprecciated your help.

Anna 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 218

@SayHi_2021 wrote:

Dear Sophia,

I have the same question but I am using the Pipeline Theme. I checked the box to enable double opt-in but I don't think this resolve the problem. Because it's not about making sure that the customers want to leave double consent to receive emails, but sending this one specific notification that he signed up for an email and received the discount code. Correct me if I am wrong. I would totally aprecciated your help.

Anna 

Hi, Anna!

The design of the newsletter signup may vary between themes, but the function is the same. Customers who enter their email address in the newsletter signup box on your store will receive an email with a link to confirm their subscription when double opt-in is enabled.

To offer a discount code to new subscribers via the confirmation email, you can add the discount code to the Confirmation email notification template under Settings > Notifications. If you'd rather send the discount code in a separate message and/or send other email marketing messages, you will need to use an email marketing service like Klayvio, Seguno, or Privy. There are also apps like Auto Discount: Welcome Voucher (mentioned previously in this thread) that allow you to send a one-time discount to new email subscribers.