Solved

No where to add dynamic section in Brooklyn theme? This page doesn't have any sections

jmaddern
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi, I'm taking over an existing site from another developer. The site uses the Brooklyn theme. I'm simply trying to add a rich text dynamic section to my home page and must be overlooking something obvious, because I can't even get to Step 3 below. There IS no "Add Section" to click on in the Customizer. In fact, when I open the Customizer in step 2, I see this message: "This page doesn't have any sections."

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes.
  2. Next to Brooklyn, click Customize.
  3. Click Add section.

Do I have to edit the theme code directly and manually add this section? 

Accepted Solution (1)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @jmaddern , this stands out

I'm taking over an existing site from another developer. 

What is the actual state of the theme, do you know when it was originally installed or the version number.

It's not unlikely it's so old it's a pre-sections based theme, or that the them is in disrepair.

Go to the theme store and get a fresh copy and do a comparison, you may have to do a manual update migration of the themes code.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @jmaddern , this stands out

I'm taking over an existing site from another developer. 

What is the actual state of the theme, do you know when it was originally installed or the version number.

It's not unlikely it's so old it's a pre-sections based theme, or that the them is in disrepair.

Go to the theme store and get a fresh copy and do a comparison, you may have to do a manual update migration of the themes code.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

jmaddern
Visitor
2 0 1

Thanks, Paul. I think you're right. I'm looking at the schema and don't even see a version number, but it was installed 5 years ago.  The dynamic sections referenced in the documentation aren't even in the settings_data config. Looks like I'll be busy doing some theme updates.