Can you make a product non-shippable on Shopify?

joshkiwi
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi there,

Is there a way to make a Product non shippable?

We do products that is custom made so the Pricing varies depending on size. So we cannot advertise an accurate price. Is there a way to make the product Not Shippable? Or any other solutions?
https://www.elitebathroomware.co.nz/collections/custom-frameless

Replies 20 (20)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @joshkiwi 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

That is a really great question. I can see that in your product descriptions you have clearly stated that these items are not shippable which is a great first step. Now, to make the item actually unshippable you will need to go to Products > FRAMELESS GLASS SHOWER - 2 SIDED. From here you will scroll down to the Shipping section and deselect the "This is a physical product" box. 

This is generally used by merchants who are selling digital products and so they do not want to have the customer fill out shipping information. When your customer is now checking out with this item they will not be asked for shipping information and will not select a shipping option for delivery. 

There is also an alternative to this. What you could do is set up a weight based shipping rate for these products. What you would need to do is make the products physical again and add a specific weight, 200KG from example. You would then go to Settings > Shipping and click "Edit" beside the zone you want to add this option to. You will then add a weight-based rate for checkouts over 200KG and name it something like "Shipping for this item is not available, pick up in store only" and set the shipping rate to 0. That way the customer is fully aware that they need to pick up from store and they are not paying for shipping because of this.

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

joshkiwi
Tourist
4 0 2

Thank you  so much for your help Bo! 

I think the best Solution is making the Product Non-Physical for now, like you said no Physical Address will be entered in.

Once I implement a weight based System then that would work too!

JR67
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey Bo,

We are trying to publish our products on facebook, though it won't allow us to do it since the product needs to shippable  in order to be published.

Please let us know how this can be resolved, thanks!

Here are screenshots for your reference: 

https://take.ms/m9oah 
https://take.ms/eAFy1

JR

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @JR67 

Great question. This is a limitation on Facebook's side of things - they do not allow non-shippable products on their platform. However, if you set up a free, weight-based shipping rate for carts weighing 0 and set their weight to 0 you will be able to list them on Facebook.

All the Best,

Bo

JR67
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks for your reply, Bo

Do you by chance know if doing as you suggested goes against the FB Policy?

Regards,
JR

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @JR67 

That is a really great question, technically, yes it would go against their Policy as they have decidedly restricted the sale of non-physical products. This is a workaround that has worked for merchants in the past. 

All the Best,

Bo

Pearl
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, Guys

I have "Needs to be a shippable product" issue, too. Here is a screenshot for Facebook shop.

1.jpg

So I checked products and tried to find tick box for physical product but there was no such a thing! lol

2.jpg

So I checked shipping setting and here is what I found. Is there something wrong?

3.jpg

This is the website I have a trouble with. https://www.brathaus.com.au/collections/all

I am new with Shopify and my first priority is publishing 24 items from online store to Facebook shop. Please help me how to fix it. Thanks

Cheers

Pearl

Gabeadz
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hi Pearl, 

Did you find a way to fix your Facebook product problem? I have the same issue and no idea how to fix it.

Thank you,

Gaby

gabeadz

@Pearl wrote:

Hi, Guys

I have "Needs to be a shippable product" issue, too. Here is a screenshot for Facebook shop.

1.jpg

So I checked products and tried to find tick box for physical product but there was no such a thing! lol

2.jpg

So I checked shipping setting and here is what I found. Is there something wrong?

3.jpg

This is the website I have a trouble with. https://www.brathaus.com.au/collections/all

I am new with Shopify and my first priority is publishing 24 items from online store to Facebook shop. Please help me how to fix it. Thanks

Cheers

Pearl

@Pearl wrote:

Hi, Guys

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Cheers

Pearl

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @Gabeadz 

Thank you for getting in touch. Can you go to one of the products that have been marked as such and make sure they have been set up as a physical product? 

Let me know how this goes and if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Gabeadz
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hi Bo, 

Thank you for your reply. I found out how to do it last night, but I appreciate it you have replied to me 🙂

Are you able to review my store? I am concern about international fees shipping. Not sure if I set it up correctly.

Gaby

Gabeadz

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey again, @Gabeadz ! 

I would love to take a look at this for you. Could you provide me with a link to your store so that I can do so, please? Could you also let me know how you want it set up? How much do you want to charge for shipping internationally and where is it that you are shipping from?

All the Best,

Bo

Gabeadz
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hi, 

Thank you so much 🙂

Here is the link;

www.gabeadz.com

I would like that when a customer outside from the USA by something from my shop, the USPS service calculates the rate automatically for me. Or if you think that I should set up an amount is the best thing to do, let me know 🙂

I will be shipping from Houston TX.

Thank you so much again, 

Gaby

gabeadz

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Thanks for the link! It does look like you have this all set up correctly, you are showing USPS rates for customers all over the world: 

Good job getting this sorted out! If you have any further questions please do let me know! 

All the Best,

Bo

Gabeadz
Excursionist
13 0 2

Hi, thank you for checking, but wowwww...that shipping fee is a lot...I don't think that fee is the real fee that I will pay for international shipping. Usually is less than $15.00 to China, Singapore, Italy, UK, etc. 

Do you think I should change these amounts and do it on my way? No one will pay that shipping fee 😞

I have more questions:

-How customers will know ho many products I have been selling or if I am really selling? Like in Etsy, I have a SOLD section. Is there one here at Shopify?

-Is there any way I can add Likes in my shop or how many views I am getting in my products? I am thinking I should add some apps for this if so, I hope there are some free apps lol!

Gabeadz
Excursionist
13 0 2

One more questions, 

When I imported some of my rings with so many sizes, the weight to 2.0 oz and shipping to "this is a physical product" were not set up, so I have to edit that one by one on each size along with each material. 

Is there any way I can edit these 2 options in bulk as I can do it with Country of Origin or Sizes, or prices?

Tilly
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi,

if i proceed with the weight option, what would happen if customer adds a shippeable product in the same cart? Would I get the combined profiles issue and charge customer anyway?

JillianM03
Visitor
3 0 0

This is actually something you should have an option for like Square does. If they select shippable and non-shippable items it sounds like it would still let them check out as a shipment order. Where if there were an option to set a product to pickup only it wouldn't let them accidentally purchase it in a shipping order and would default to pickup. We have some heavy breakable items that we won't ship.  

Liliane_Ratté
5 0 0

Hi Jillian and Bo,

I still haven't found a solution to my similar problem : I have items that can be shipped and others that can't be and I wish to exclude access to the shipment rates for orders that include the latter. If I only had weight based shipment rates I could just put a max weight on all of these and make my unshippable items heavier than that threshold. However, I have an order amount rate that needs to be there too (in order to offer free shipping to my best customers). How can that be done ?

CampHighlander
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Bo,

I have already set the product to live, and need to change it to not a physical product.

Is this possible?

maddie111
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, I can't seem to find this feature anymore, was it discontinued? Is there a new method to do it?