Solved

PageSpeed "NOT_HTML" error on Shopify store

mfcss
Explorer
65 6 28

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Google PageSpeed to optimize my speed on various pages. However, recently I'm getting an error when trying to do so as below:

"Lighthouse returned an error: NOT_HTML. The specified page is not HTML (displayed as MIME type text / plain)."

This seems to be related to a general issue on Shopify and I'm concerned whether this may indicate a more general overarching issue. Any thoughts on how to resolve this?

mfcss_0-1637056549569.png

Accepted Solution (1)

Cam_Clark
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi all,

I received the following reply from Shopify support:

Thanks for reaching out with this concern with your Google Page Speed. I understand how important Google rankings can be for our merchants, so rest assured we'll get to the bottom of this.

Doing some digging on my end here I've located the source of this error: we've been working with Cloudflare and Google to enable a new feature on storefronts that will allow for faster page loading. It's called 103 Early Hint, and is very new, so Google is still working on adding support to Lighthouse.

You can keep an eye on this Google Lighthouse GitHub issue page for more info on when they're expecting this new feature to be supported. As of now they're saying it's a priority, but they have no ETA.

View solution in original post

Replies 17 (17)

icristi
Shopify Partner
4 0 2

Me too! Google speed test recently upgraded, I saw the changes on the 15th while testing. It might have something to do with that. 

What I do now is I copy the live theme, or the theme I look to improve on, and I use a preview link of that copy to test with google. I know it is not completely accurate but until this gets fixed either by google or by shopify we can still use it.

Let me know if you have another solution to this. Thanks!

Alex_Lam
Shopify Partner
94 30 26

We have clients experiencing the same issue. Older implementations of lighthouse work fine, but the one used by the upgraded PageSpeed Insights auditor is returning a NOT_HTML error. 

Perhaps a server configuration issue on Shopify's end, conflicting with a new version of lighthouse?

Is your store fast enough? Compare your store's speed against hundreds of others for free with our benchmarker - https://www.rvere.com/

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 16

My store as well. Hadn't thought of running the preview link to get page speed info. Thanks for the temporary fix.

a little of this and a little of that

mrchreees
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm experiencing the same issue on all of our shopify sites. I imagine this is something shopify will need to update. 

Pakinha
Tourist
4 0 1

Relatei ontem pelo twitter ao shopify o mesmo problema e me deram a resposta final que seus desenvolvedores vão atrás da solução para o problema. Obrigado a todos que relatam pelo fórum, pois só assim um problema tão grave quanto este poderá ser solucionado agora muito mais rápido! Pakinha Adesivos do Brasil.

RW453
Tourist
4 0 1

Happening on my end as well

RichHenson
Visitor
3 0 0

I'm having the same issue after moving to an update of our theme that supports OS2.0, but rolling back to the previous version does not fix the Pagespeed Insights Error

gauravvashisht
Visitor
2 0 0

I have not even switched to 2.0 but I ma still facing the issue n trendspremier.com

Cam_Clark
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

The same issue is happening on every Shopify site that I develop/manage, including my own shop. My Shopify site speed number plummeted 16 points since the change to Google PageSpeed Insights and our site rankings are taking a hit. Hope a fix is in the works.

Cam_Clark
Shopify Partner
2 1 3

This is an accepted solution.

Hi all,

I received the following reply from Shopify support:

Thanks for reaching out with this concern with your Google Page Speed. I understand how important Google rankings can be for our merchants, so rest assured we'll get to the bottom of this.

Doing some digging on my end here I've located the source of this error: we've been working with Cloudflare and Google to enable a new feature on storefronts that will allow for faster page loading. It's called 103 Early Hint, and is very new, so Google is still working on adding support to Lighthouse.

You can keep an eye on this Google Lighthouse GitHub issue page for more info on when they're expecting this new feature to be supported. As of now they're saying it's a priority, but they have no ETA.

TheThisThat
Shopify Partner
61 3 16

Well that's much better than the response I got from them which takes the stance that it's not their problemo

Just following up on your concern about the PageSpeed Insights tool generating the Lighthouse returned error: NOT_HTML. The page provided is not HTML (served as MIME type text/plain) error.

According to our Technical team, they are not able to troubleshoot third-party apps like Pagespeed. Pagespeed Insights/Shopify incompatibilities are not desired but can happen for a number of reasons. You can use the Myshopify URL in the tool to get a better insight. You can also try to run a lighthouse audit from within the Chrome Dev Tools to generate this report.

If you've tried these and are still experiencing an issue then you'll have to reach out to Google support for further assistance with this. Since the Pagespeed app isn't controlled by Shopify so we're limited in the amount of support we can provide.

a little of this and a little of that
RichHenson
Visitor
3 0 0

That's a fair cop out

gauravvashisht
Visitor
2 0 0

It is now solved yet please help 

RichHenson
Visitor
3 0 0

I tested using the tool on a number of sites I've worked with in the past who have definitely not updated anything, and they all throw the same MIME errors on Page Speed Insights. 

Looks like it's widespread, and hopefully the message above regarding the cloudflare 103 early hint is what's happening and the page speed failure doesn't cause any issues for Google Search Console

SJS_
Tourist
3 0 0

We are having the same issue as well. Shopify - pls help 

Gurpreetrai
Visitor
1 0 0

Also having the same issues, please advise. 

VickyC
Visitor
3 0 0

Same here........ It's been like this since days ago...