PayPal blank popup when triggered from Instagram

shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

When clicking a the embedded product in the Instagram app, an in-app webview (browser) is used to load our shop. Everything works, except for the authentication step of PayPal. Attempting to purchase a product, PayPal popups up its authentication screen. After authenticating, you briefly see the message "processing" in the popup, then the popup becomes blank. You have no option but close it, aborting the purchase. 1) This only happens with the embedded browser 2) there appears to be no way of preventing Instagram triggering the embedded browser reliably 3) as the issue is somewhere between Shopify & Paypal and inside an app, there is no way to debug it. It just... doesn't work.

Has anyone come across this... or at the very least where to begin figuring out why?

IMG_1530.pngIMG_1531.pngIMG_1529.png

Replies 7 (7)

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@shellbryson 

Sorry you are facing this issue, it would be my pleasure to help you.

Welcome to the Shopify community!😊
Thanks for your good question.

Please share your site URL,
I will check out the issue and provide you a solution here.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

We'd appreciate any assistance. Our shop can be found at https://thisisunfolded.com

KetanKumar
Shopify Partner
36839 3635 11972

@shellbryson 

thanks but how can i check?

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution.
Want to modify or custom changes on store Hire me.
- Feel free to contact me on bamaniyaketan.sky@gmail.com regarding any help
Shopify Partner | Skype : bamaniya.sky
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing
shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

This is where it gets tricky as it only happens in the webview of Instagram. So, you have to visit https://instagram.com/thisisunfolded, click on "Shop Now" (which triggers in app webview containing thisunfolded.com). Add a product to bag, click on "view bag" (or go to the cart), and attempt to buy with the Dynamic Checkout option for Paypal. Following the usual paypal checkout steps will result in the issue described in my first post. As you can see... this is rather hard to diagnose given the webview.

shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

After a long discussion with Shopify support today we have confirmed this is an issue with Paypal and likely affecting many merchants. The problem occurs only in webviews (so, if your store is loaded via a Visit Site or Shop Now link inside Facebook or Instagram) and only if the customer doesn't have 2FA (two factor authentication) enabled on their Paypal account. Paypal attempts to display a popup which fails. This doesn't occur on desktop.

We've tested this on a dozen merchant sites (not just our own) and have confirmed that the issue is fairly widely spread and will be preventing Dynamic Checkout for Paypal working if triggered from inside a webview.

shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

We have a merchant ticket open with Paypal, awaiting response.

shellbryson
Shopify Partner
45 2 16

PayPal appear to have resolved the issue:

"We have identified that the problem you were experiencing was caused by some technical issues with the PayPal system. And this issue now has been fixed by our Product Engineers."

I ran some tests and it does appear to be resolved.