Preview image for link sharing.

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

Hello, I'm stumped.  I'm using the Brooklyn theme I have done what it says to do for an image to show when link sharing.  The documentation even says it will default to the logo if you don't have one selected.  However, anytime i share my link, it says no image in the thumbnail preview.  Please help!  

Thank you.

Replies 13 (13)

LitExtension
Shopify Partner
4860 1001 1132

Please send your site and if your site is password protected, please send me the password.
I will check it for you.

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Check out our Shopify migration app to migrate your online store to Shopify
Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

Aadalaide.com

is there a way to dm you on here?  i'm pretty new.  Thank you for looking. 

Also i did/ checked everything that another suggested and still didn't work/ fix it.

Coryn

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Hi, @Draquion

Sorry to hear you've been unable to get your social sharing image to display when link sharing. Which documentation have you followed, and what theme are you using? 

Can you please confirm you have uploaded a social sharing image to the follow areas from your Shopify Admin

• Online store > Preferences > Social sharing image
  • Online store > Themes > Customize > Header > Logo image 
  • Online store > Themes > Customize > Theme Settings > Checkout > Logo image

If these images are empty, Shopify doesn't have a relevant image to share and it will be left blank. Please confirm once all those locations are updated with an image. If you have any questions about how to follow those steps, just reply here and I can provide screenshots for you! 

If you have updated those images, and are not seeing the image when shared on Facebook, you can try using Facebook's debugger tool. This clears Facebook's cache for your store, and may update the image being used. We don't have control when Facebook, or other platforms will update that image.

Is the preview working when you share your store URL through any channels? Such as LinkedIn,  Facebook, Instagram, text message, etc? 

Let us know how this goes! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

Hilary,

I just added the collection photos to see if that would fix it.  that is the only ones i was missing.  and unfortunately, it did not fix it. i don't know.  I'm using Boundless. and the tagline under the blank image says "example product title.  i'm going to do some searching on that.  

thanks.

Coryn

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

IT"S WORKING!!!!!  

THANK YOU.  I wish i knew exactly what made it work.  it's been about an hour since i messed with it.  seemed it just needed time to update for some reason.

Thank You everyone!  

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

Still need help.   it's only showing the images about 50% of the time.  Everything that needs an image has an image.  Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Thanks for the updates! Glad to hear it's partially working at this point. Thanks for sharing the link to your store as well, this enabled me to test the links myself. 

When I share your store URL via text message and via Facebook messenger, I am seeing your logo appear as the social sharing image. In other words, it is working. Further, when I shared this product, I successfully saw the product image in the preview box. It may be that you need to clear your cookies and cache on the browser you are using. Please try doing this and then re-test the links. 

If some are not working still,  please share where are you sharing the links (what channels), and which products? Then we can continue to look into this. Great work so far, sounds like we are very close! 

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

Hilary, 

Thank you.  I did some trouble shooting.  it does work when i share aadalaide.com on facebook messanger.  However if i send as a txt message via SMS it does not work.  it shows an image on the send.  but the receiver does not get an image.  attached is a screenshoot of me texting myself.  

Thank You so much for your time and attention in helping me solve this issue.

Screenshot_20210916-093205_Messages.jpg

Hilary
Shopify Staff (Retired)
551 79 131

Thanks for the screenshot and glad to hear it's working on Facebook. Happy to help. Can you please share with me the exact URL you are sharing with yourself in the screenshot you shared? I am unable to replicate any example where a preview image does not appear. 

Make sure you're using a URL that has an active product with images, and make sure it's from your live store (not a preview version of your store). As well, texting yourself does not give accurate results. Please try texting another phone number (not your own). Using the Celtic Tree of Life product, I am seeing an image preview when sent via SMS. 

Let me know if you come up with the same result!

Draquion
Tourist
8 0 0

It seems to be working now.  to some degree.  but it chooses the picture.  is there not a way for me to choose what is shown in the thumbnail.  this is when i share the home page,  aadalaide.com

Thank you.  

jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

@Draquion 

For the home page, you can just change the social sharing image and it'll be alright: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/online-store/images/showing-social-media-thumbnail-images

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
jam_chan
Shopify Partner
891 23 171

Now it's loading this og:image as the link preview image:

<meta property="og:image" content="http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0595/4938/4861/files/Aadalaide_logo_with_box_e64b7dd6-06c8-41c8-8bc...">

If it's not showing this image, it may be due to the spec of this image is not correct, e.g. size, format, etc. The best size is 1200px x 630px width-to-height

You can set the social sharing image in Shopify, scrape it again with Facebook debugger and it will be fine. 

BYOB - Build Your Own Bundles, SPO - SEO App to research keywords & edit social link preview
SofoeClothing
Tourist
7 0 1

I am having the exact same issue still waiting for a resolution https://sofoeclothing.com/