Solved

Private collection for tagged customers no longer working

IrisParkinson
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi,

We have a private collection on our website for regular customers. The regular customers are tagged with "vip". Providing they have logged in, they can access our private collection. 

For some reason it no longer works. I've double checked the coding and it's exactly as instructed on the tutorial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tsm8gkSK-o

Can anyone help? I keep getting phone calls from customers that can't access their products!

Accepted Solution (1)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 587

This is an accepted solution.

Some things I would check:

- Are the tags consistent? (for example "vip" is different than "VIP")

- Are there any console errors on your site that could be interfering with code logic? (if you're not familiar with the console see https://speedboostr.com/finding-and-fixing-console-errors/)

- Does this functionality work on an older theme in preview mode? (that will tell you if changes to a new theme caused the problem)

- Does it function for certain users, or no users

Those checks should help you narrow down the problem (and hopefully solve it). If you can't figure it out and would like a professional Shopify developer to take a look, reach out to my team at speedboostr.com/contact. We work on Shopify sites and apps every day.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks

View solution in original post

Replies 10 (10)

JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
2195 201 587

This is an accepted solution.

Some things I would check:

- Are the tags consistent? (for example "vip" is different than "VIP")

- Are there any console errors on your site that could be interfering with code logic? (if you're not familiar with the console see https://speedboostr.com/finding-and-fixing-console-errors/)

- Does this functionality work on an older theme in preview mode? (that will tell you if changes to a new theme caused the problem)

- Does it function for certain users, or no users

Those checks should help you narrow down the problem (and hopefully solve it). If you can't figure it out and would like a professional Shopify developer to take a look, reach out to my team at speedboostr.com/contact. We work on Shopify sites and apps every day.

• Creator of Order Automator (automate tagging, fulfillment, Amazon, notifications + more)
• Shopify developer for 10+ years, store owner for 7 years
• I also make guides like Shopify Automation Tips and How to Deal with Fraud / Chargebacks
IrisParkinson
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi @JoesIdeas 

Thanks very much for the information. 

I made sure all the tags were "vip" and not "VIP" as there was some variety there. 

It came up with "Liquid error: Error in tag 'section' - 'collection' is not a valid section type"

I've managed to sort it (not sure what I did!), and now I can log into our private collection again. 

Thanks very much for your help! 

abesalgado
Visitor
2 0 1

I am having the same issue. I believe with this new 2.0 upgrade, the instructions on that video are no longer applicable.

juanma69
Visitor
2 0 0

Alguien tiene la solucion para la version 2.0??

Does anyone have the solution for version 2.0??

MarionSpence
Visitor
1 0 0

coding section looks completely different to the tutorial. No idea what to do from here.

hmfedders
Tourist
5 0 5

I was able to get it to work by updating section to 'main-collection-product-grid' instead of 'collection': 

{% if customer.tags contains 'vip' %}

{% section 'main-collection-product-grid' %}
{% else %}

{{ pages.no-access.content }}

{% endif %}

KeithP1985
Visitor
1 0 0

Thank you Hmfedders. Your solution worked for me.  I just used the code you suggested. 

Khaal
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Hmfedders, 

I tried using your code but still unable to get it to work. Do you have any other methods?

Matteo17
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I still have the problem even after updating the code.

The error is section/collection.liquid does not exist.
Do you have any solution?

Fresche
Visitor
2 0 2

Wow!😄 I had exactly the same problems for a looonnng time now.  Shopify automatically changes my tags to lowercase starting with a capital letter.  So I just changed it to that in my code after reading your comment and I am absolutely happy now.  Thanks for sharing this information.