Putting variants in the right order

Niels_
Tourist
5 0 4

Hello 

I encountered some issues that are probably easy to fix but I can't seem to find the fix myself. The variants are in the wrong position. For example, when I am on the page of the product the variant says A3, A5, A4, ...

Knipsel.PNG

I want them to be in order like A1, A2, A3, ...

Is there any way how to fix this? I was playing around with the variants a bit while editing the product but I can't find any way to get them in the right order.

- Niels

Replies 17 (17)

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @Niels_ 

Bo here from Shopify Support. 

Welcome to the community! That is a really great question. You can reorder your variants on the product page by scrolling down to the variants section, clicking More Options > Reorder Variants:

You can then manually drag them into the order that you would like them to appear in! 

How are you liking the platform so far? If you are just getting started I'd recommend taking a look at our Shopify webinars. These short tutorials takes you through all the basics of creating a store such as adding products, variants, collections, theme changes and pointing a domain to your store. You should be able to sign up here. We also have a free business course with our Shopify Academy that I would really encourage you to look at if you get a chance.

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Niels_
Tourist
5 0 4

I knew it would be that easy haha!

So far I'm enjoying the platform! It's easy and fun to use! 🙂

I'm following some other courses but I'll check out the Shopify tutorials and courses as well.

Thank you for the quick reply and help! 

Markoso
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi i have same products i get from printify , but the variants are not correct i need to edit each products and that's will take so much time to edit all of them , please how i can edit all products variants at once. 

Bo
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1793 196 467

Hey there, @Markoso 

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Please take a look at our bulk editing help guide here to better understand what can and can't be edited in bulk and how to do so. 

All the Best,

Bo

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Ryova
Visitor
1 0 0

This feature (link) is no longer part of the interface. Is there not a native option for this any longer?

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

you scroll down to options then just drag and drop to right position

James Byrne, Owner, Information Architect (USMC VET)
After Dark Grafx - Since 1992
"We Work After Dark, So You Don't Have To!"
https://www.afterdarkgrafx.com

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

I also build custom apps for Shopify!
SeaSalty
Tourist
4 0 8

I rearrange the variants in Options, press Save. Doesn't save - goes back to old order. Bug?

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

@SeaSalty once you save on the product, wait about 5 mins. Sometimes, Shopify's caching takes some time. Better yet. View the product from another browser after a few minutes. Just keep hitting refresh and it will update.

Services: Website Design, Mobile App Development (iOS, Android, Windows), Ecommerce, Magento, Shopify, Miva, BigCommerce, Search Engine Optimization, Wordpress, Hosting, Graphic Design, Merchant Accounts, Consulting and all things web related!

Certified Partner/Developer/Affiliates: Shopify, Google Integrator, Wordpress, Zoho, AuthorizeNet, Geotrust and a Member of the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Veteran Owned Businesses, Veteran's In Business Network.

SeaSalty
Tourist
4 0 8

Spent an hour with Shopify tech this morning - there's a bug in the way variants (that you can no longer rearrange orders) is affecting the ability to reorder option values into order.

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

send me collaborator access to your store and I will check for you free 

sales[at]afterdarkgrafx.com - what is the url to the store? you can PM me

AfterDarkGrafx
Shopify Partner
219 13 57

Hey @SeaSalty  please mark this as accepted solution. Thanks.

Solution:

a) Duplicate the product with the issue (top right on the product in admin)
b) remove items from the options that are not moving or reorganizing correctly (ie: remove 16x24 and 12x18)
c) Save the new product
d) Edit the options again
e) ADD 1x1 as an option then drag it to the top and save product (ie: this resets the options database)
f) add back your options 16x24 and 12x18 back to the options and drag them to the top save the product
g) delete the 1x1 option save product

If you have too many options/variants or an app that is controlling the variants, they can interfere with each other.

Not sure if the variant app that was added at some point messed anything up but it is always best to start over when this happens as the shopify database was basically stuck.

By duplicating the product, it creates a whole new connection and fixes the issue.

Also, be sure to remove the ' in front and after the product names
Also, be sure to remove " in the options

These fields, mess with the Shopify Database, so a quote " or apostrophe ' will mess up their data for some reason.  This isn't usually the case, but it is always best to start with the basics, then add an additional items or characters and see if it messes anything up.

Thank you,

James

SeaSalty
Tourist
4 0 8

Thank you so much!

joshkirk
Tourist
3 0 3

Based on your information, I got mine to work, but I didn't need to delete anything, I simply changed the order of the first Set of Options, then the second set of options finally where able to save! I had to click Done and then Save.

DevOpsTeamVP
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hello, we are currently experiencing the following problem: we are sending our products from our SAP ERP to Shopify, but they are displayed in a disordered manner. They come sorted alphabetically, for example: 2XL, 3XL, 4XL, 5XL, L, M, S, XL, XS. We would like our products to be displayed in our Shopify store in the following order: XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, etc.

Is there currently another way other than performing a massive edit? Something that could be more automatic?

markus12
Shopify Partner
30 1 14
Hi,

The Bulk Edit Mojo app can reorder the variants in the correct Size order.
You could set a task which runs daily for all products, to fix any variants
that aren't already correct.

The app isn't free, but you could uninstall it after the imports are
complete.
https://apps.shopify.com/bulk-edit-mojo

slogan
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I know this is an old post but with all the respect I'd like to know if the dropdowns that mr.Niels is using (or was using) are an external app or integrated in shopify's options

Thanks in advance,

Slogan

markus12
Shopify Partner
30 1 14

You could use this app https://apps.shopify.com/eushopa-toolkit . Choose Bulk Edit -> Products, select desired product criteria (few products to test, then an entire collection), and choose to Sort options. Choose desired sort order and Save: https://ibb.co/9cXvss2