Quick question on subdomain DNS configuration

jkanonas
Tourist
10 0 2

Hey,

our company has got a website on root domain example.com. I added a subdomain shop.example.com which I want to use for our Shopify shop.

In DNS settings for example.com I can set new entries. Would this be right:

Host: shop

Type: CNAME

Destination: shops.myshopify.com

I'm wondering if it really needs to be shops.myshopify.com for destination. Or do I have to enter the actual shop URL, like my-shop-name.myshopify.com? Also, for host, do I have to enter just shop or shop.example.com?

Another thing I'm not sure about is whether I should install Let's encrypt (SSL) for the subdomain.

I 'd be more than happy if someone here could enlighten me.

Thanks in advance and have a wonderful weekend!

Replies 3 (3)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @jkanonas,

Yes, that's correct. The host/ alias field would contain "shop" or whatever subdomain you wished to create, and the destination should be shops.myshopify.com. This will be sufficient for the Shopify system to recognize that the subdomain is pointed towards your store. You don't need to write the full URL for the host/ alias field, nor do you need to enter in your full myshopify.com URL for the destination field. You can read more about setting up your subdomains here.

In terms of an SSL certificate, all Shopify stores are provided with one by default so you do not need to pay for or acquire one from a third-party provider.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you have any further questions, or if you're experiencing issues connecting your domain.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jkanonas
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks a lot, Victor. Worked like a charme!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @jkanonas,

No problem at all. I'm glad it's all set up correctly for you.

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog