"online store editor session can't be published" Message

marley970
Tourist
5 0 1

When I am making changes to my Shopify theme in the custimizer I keep getting the message, "online store editor session can't be published", when I try to save it. I have had multiple users test it and it always seems to happen. 

Replies 23 (23)

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @marley970

This is Luna from Shopify. I noticed you are new to our Community forum, welcome! Sorry to hear you've been dealing with this setback. I'm happy to help out. 

To gather a little bit more context, what browser are you using? Is this happening on several devices? I recommend ensuring that you are using one of our support browsers. From there, you should clear your browser cacheAfter this, please try to close the browser completely and restart it before using your theme editor once again. 

If that doesn't resolve the issue, please also try the following: 

1. Use an Incognito window 
  2. Use another device like another computer or mobile phone
  3. Ensure there are no pop-ups being blocked in the web browser

In the meantime, if this persists further I will ask that you try to customize another theme in your admin. Does the same error occur? To do so, please follow these steps: 

1. Log in to your Shopify admin
  2. Click on 'Online store > Themes' 
  3. Scroll down to 'Theme library' and click 'Customize' beside one of your themes listed here. 

If you don't currently have any other themes downloaded, please download a free theme for testing purposes. To do so, head back into the 'Online store > Themes' section of your admin, click on 'Explore free themes', click on any free theme, and then click 'Add to theme library'. Once this theme has been downloaded, please follow the steps listed above. Once you are finished, feel free to delete the theme from your library. 

I'm looking forward to hearing how this goes for you. I appreciate your patience while we work to get this sorted out together. 

Talk soon, 

Luna | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @marley970.

Luna here. Were you able to resolve the error with those suggestions? If you are still facing any setbacks, please don't hesitate to let me know. We can continue to look into it together.

Warmly, 

marley970
Tourist
5 0 1
Hi Luna,

I took your advice and tried clearing the cache, as well as using Chrome in
incognito mode but I still have the same problem of not being able to save
my theme.

Next, I tried using an older version of my theme and that seems to solve
the issue. I don't want to go back to that older version since it is not as
up to date as my current live theme. Any help is appreciated.

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @marley970.

Thanks for getting back to me and completing the troubleshooting steps I provided above. I appreciate it! Based on what you've shared, it sounds like the issue is isolated to your theme's current version. 

To gather a little bit more context, can you please let me know the following: 

• What is the name of the theme you are using? 
  • When did this issue start? 
  • Have you made any recent coding changes to your theme?
  • Have you recently downloaded any apps?

My understanding is that you've made some modifications to your theme's coding, is that right? If so, our next best step will be to find the route of this error based on the customizations that have been made. Please take a look at our help document: Troubleshooting

As an alternative to reverting to an older theme, rolling back your current theme may be a better solution to resolve the issue. If you haven't made any customizations to the theme or recently downloaded any apps, please let me know.

Looking forward to hearing back from you, so that we can continue to work on this together.

Luna
Shopify Staff
712 67 108

Hey, @marley970.

Just checking in with you. Were you able to resolve this? If you have any questions or require additional assistance don't hesitate to reach back out.

Best, 

EliteScreens
Tourist
4 0 3

I got the same problem. It is not because of the browser. One of our developer says that maybe because of the block limitation in Shopify. The other one has an idea that Shopify has limit of 250KB file size limit. We have tried to rolle back the them to almost 3 month a go but it is not working. It is really frustrating whn u want to develop your store and you get this limitation

EliteScreens
Tourist
4 0 3

The older theme in your case is worked because it seems that in older theme you did not add content, block and section to reach the limitation. If you try to add as much as content block and section like the live theme you will get the same error. Did you find any other solution for this problem?

Best,

Alex

marley970
Tourist
5 0 1

@EliteScreens We did not find a solution to this and yes it seems to be some kind of limit to the blocks and sections. 

EliteScreens
Tourist
4 0 3

Hi @marley970.

I have found the problem and solution to that.

The problem is the limitation on the json file size in Shopify. So this means everytime that you write a code and this code combine some kind of content like links, SVG code, ect, this will add to the json file as well. So in time they sum up and take a space. Shopify put the hidden limit on the json file to max 1.5 MB. This means if you reach this limit, you are not be able to save any sassion any more because there is no more free space to use.

The solution is that:

1. delete all the hidden section that you do not need

2. with a developer delete all the blocks, codes, customized section, block and option that you do not need

3. try to use less SVG codes and custom CSS

these above  solution have solved our problem, and we are now freely continue developing our shop. I hope that would help you too

best,

Dr. Alex Lindt

marley970
Tourist
5 0 1

@EliteScreens would this be caused by the number of page and product templates that we have or sections? Both?

We have a lot of page templates but I think we could eliminate most of them if we can call the Section with a variable that would reference the current page name.  

This is how we have it now.

{%section '104-6l45-drums'%}

Would it be possible to replace '104-6l45-drums' with something that would insert the current page name?

{%section 'Current-Page-Name'%}

Martonl
Visitor
1 0 1

I encountered the same issue, and was wondering if there is a way to increase the hidden json file limit?

EliteScreens
Tourist
4 0 3

Yes there is a limitation of MB, I think 25MB if I am not mistaken. So we have solved our problem by deleting the block and downsizing our developed sections.

areybro
Tourist
8 0 4

it happens to me only when i add custom css in custom liquid section. I tried to make a horizontal rule with this code in css :-

{
position: relative;
height: 1px;
background-color: #ebebeb;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
::before {
content: "";
position: absolute;
top: -1px;
left: 0;
right: 0;
height: 1px;
background-color: #ebebeb;
}

do you have any idea why code isnt working or any other way to add a horizontal rule?

nivamilano
Tourist
3 0 3

I have the same problem. I am using Dawn 9.0.0 and if I try to add any css it wont let me save the changes with the message: "online store editor session can't be published"

Did you find a solution for this?

Hubertus
Visitor
2 0 0

It's because

content: "";

If you remove it, it will work. Is there any solution?!

Hubertus
Visitor
2 0 0

Upload a css file to your content and define the rule inside.

Then you can add a custom liquid section with:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="Your css file" />

nivamilano
Tourist
3 0 3

thank you for your reply but there is no content:""; in my css

YeahJackie
Visitor
2 0 1

I am getting this error too.

It's a brand new site with only one product on it and there is only one other custom CSS related to font size.

I have only added one custom liquid section on the whole site. It's on the footer. It's a link to a lottie json animation that is hosted on their site. This uploaded and worked fine. The error appears when I try to remove the space between my custom section and the rest of the footer using the following code:

.shopify-section-group-footer-group {
margin-top: 0px !important;
}

Is there a solution to this?

I'm using Chrome and I have cleared my cache.

mcclark
Shopify Partner
12 0 3

Yes, I am getting the same thing.  We've been trying to get our store online for a very long time.  Now this.  It never stops.  I am try to add a simple piece of CSS which seems to work, but when I try to save it gives me this error: "online store editor editor cannot be published".  Any real progress on getting this issue fixed?

DutchDelight
Excursionist
19 0 4

Same here. Brand new site, nothing fancy, just trying to add some css and you get this stupid error.

Zayne
Visitor
1 0 1

If you added any custom CSS on a section remove it  and move it to the theme.liquid file and add it between the style tags, make sure the css contains the sections id so that the style does not cascade down through the entire theme

To be or not to be
DutchDelight
Excursionist
19 0 4

Interestingly.. I found out that my theme also has a separate css file that you can use to put stuff in that will be used site-wide. This solved my problems.

jipanwarsahab
Visitor
1 0 1

Hi ,

I am still facing while updating my CSS file though its just 1 line of code but not able to publish is.

Theme: Dawn 12.0.0

code:

#cart-icon-bubble {
visibility: hidden;
}