How can I add ring size options without creating new variants?

PaisleyPins
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, I am looking for some help/advice on how to add ring size options to my product pages selling rings. At the moment they only way I can see to do this is to add variants, however I don't want/need to a have a new variant for every ring size as its one product with no price changes, I just need people to be able to order the ring in the size they require it to be made.

I feel there should be a really simple solution to this but I can't seem to find it. If it was possible to have variants with it changing the overall inventory this would be great but it doesn't seem to be an option.

If anyone can help or offer advice that would be great. I also have an Etsy store and adding ring size options is very easy on this platform, I can add as many I want with out it changing the overall product quantity (which should remain at 1), I suppose I'm looking for something like this,  or a way to recrate these options.

Kind regards

Laura

etsy ring size variations.jpg

Replies 6 (6)

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

Hi @PaisleyPins,

I'm not sure If I understand the requirements 100%, but I think I might have a solution for you.

How about using line item property? Thanks to this you can create e.g. a dropdown menu with all the size variants. Depending on the size variant a customer selects, the information will be sent to add to cart as well as checkout page and order summary.

Basically, the product will have "no variants" added through the product admin. The variants will only appear in the dropdown menu. In this way, you don't need to assign any inventory number to the variants...

All you need to is to create the line item property and paste in the corresponding product liquid file (ideally, create a new block and paste the code in there). However, in this simple solution the dropdown menu with all the variants would be displayed on all product pages. This can be of course further customized (e.g. so that the dropdown menu shows only on some specific product templates...)

See the screenshot of the line item property dropdown.

Snímek obrazovky 2023-03-24 v 16.57.20.png

 Hope this helps? 🙂

Send me a link to your store to niki@ecommercepot.com and I'll help you out.
For more info what I do, visit my agency website ecommercepot.com or my personal website nikikozak.me.
PaisleyPins
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Niki_K

Thank you for your reply, this sounds like what I am trying to achieve, I think I remember doing something similar before on an old shopify template but I'm struggling to understand this time. 

Where do I create the line item property? Is this a new liquid section which is then pasted into the product liquid file? 

Not sure if any of that makes sense, my knowledge of coding is very limited

Thanks

Laura

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

Hi @PaisleyPins (Laura),

here are the steps I would follow to set it up.

1. Go to this Line Item property generator site and create a dropdown menu line item property with the size variants. This generator will generate a code snippet for you, which you can just copy-paste.

2. Go to your product.liquid file (e.g. in Dawn theme, the file is called main-product.liquid file). 

3. Add a new block in the schema section and render the block in liquid section. Please, refer to one of my articles, which describes how to create a new block (the main topic of the article is how to display collection metafields – so it has nothing to do with your size variants but one part of the article describes how to add a new block! So this might be helpful for you).

4. Paste the generated code for the size variants in the liquid section (in the block you created). 

5. Go to Customize –> Product template -> Add the newly created block. 

6. You might need to add some CSS classes so that the block fits well with the page layout and store. 

Let me know if this short guide help you add the size variants! 🙂 If you struggle with anything, let me know. 

Hope this helps!

For more info what I do, visit my agency website ecommercepot.com or my personal website nikikozak.me.
PaisleyPins
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi Niki_K

Thanks for getting back to me, I think I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. I have managed to create the code on the generator site, I've found the product.liquid file and I can see where to add a metafield in the collection, but the sample you refer to shows how to link a file and I don't know what option I need to select instead. 

But when it comes to creating a new block in the schema section (I've found this within the code on the product.liquid file) and then rendering the block in the liquid section I'm at a complete loss. I don't really want to play about with it too much as I just don't get it.

Thank you for trying to help me, I just don't have the coding knowledge to make the changes needed.

Thanks again for your help

Laura

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

Hi @PaisleyPins (Laura),

I see. Happy to hear that you managed to do some of the steps. If you still struggle with the set up, you can write a PM to me and we can discuss the issue further. Thanks!

EasifyApps-Zoe
Shopify Partner
582 14 42

Hi @PaisleyPins

If adding new variants for ring sizes does not create more products or affect the prices, do you want to reconsider to use variants?

With the Easify Product Options app (free plan available, which is sufficient for your needs), you can create a custom option called "Ring Size" including different values (sizes), then assign this option to the relevant products.

And this can easily be done without any coding required.

You can create a Dropdown (if you have many sizes) or Radio Buttons (if there are not many sizes):

EasifyAppsZoe_0-1687252533216.png

EasifyAppsZoe_1-1687252757480.png

We provide 24/7 Live Chat support if you need any assistance with setting up the Easify Product Options app.

EASIFY - MAKING SHOPIFY SIMPLE & SWEET!
Easify Product Options: Create custom product options 10X faster & easier!
Easify Product Attachments: Effortlessly add downloadable PDF files (or any other format) to Shopify pages!
Try for Free | 24/7 Live Chat Support