Solved

How does Shopify's new CDN impact loading times in China?

Maacck
Shopify Partner
22 1 4

Hi All,

We have noticed that Shopify introduced a new CDN for users in China(ie. 'cdn.shopifycdn.net'). Therefore, we are planning to override our image url on our Mobile App to 'cdn.shopifycdn.net' instead of 'cdn.shopify.com'.

However, we are afraid that users outside China will experience longer loading time from 'cdn.shopifycdn.net'. Can any Shopify Staff give us some ideas on the CDN serving from this domain? We assume there are some smart DNS routing on 'cdn.shopifycdn.net', so user in China will be route to CDN in China (eg. Tencent Cloud, Akami) and for users not in China will be route to Fastly.

Accepted Solution (1)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

This is an accepted solution.

@Maacck 

cdn.shopifycdn.net was something we deployed to help speed things up for users in China. It is not used by individuals outside of China. We can't guarantee that we'll continue using it in the future which is why we haven't provided documentation to developers. For this reason, developers shouldn't rely on cdn.shopifycdn.net, nor would we advise to hardcode CDN anywhere in your code as you should rely on Shopify to do the smart switching.

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

This is an accepted solution.

@Maacck 

cdn.shopifycdn.net was something we deployed to help speed things up for users in China. It is not used by individuals outside of China. We can't guarantee that we'll continue using it in the future which is why we haven't provided documentation to developers. For this reason, developers shouldn't rely on cdn.shopifycdn.net, nor would we advise to hardcode CDN anywhere in your code as you should rely on Shopify to do the smart switching.

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Maacck
Shopify Partner
22 1 4

@Trevor 

Thanks for you information.