Shopify CLI is not updating the liquid file

Shopify CLI is not updating the liquid file

Avicenna
Shopify Partner
3 0 3

Hi,

I have been using Shopify CLI for theme development for quite some time. Facing a strange issue today, viz, updates to CSS files aren't getting published.

Logs do show the update for the file when I change something; also verified from the Shopify theme editor, which shows the latest changes to the CSS file that I pushed via CLI. However, neither the local server over localhost:9292 nor the theme preview is loading the latest version of the file.

I analyzed network logs, and the CSS file seems to be stuck on a previous version. I change the name of the file, and that seems to trigger a refresh from the Shopify CDN; however, content changes don't invalidate the older version and keep loading it.

My command:

shopify theme dev -theme-editor-sync --theme THEME_ID_HERE  --live-reload hot-reload --port 9292 --store STORE_NAME_HERE.myshopify.com

I have triple-checked, I am updating the correct file home.css.liquid, and there are no duplicate files by that name. It's also correctly included in the theme.liquid header:

<link rel="stylesheet" href="{{ 'home.css' | asset_url }}"/>

I have a deadline tomorrow for publishing the theme, and I am quite frustrated with this issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies 14 (14)

shania
Tourist
3 0 2

Experiencing the same issue with theme kit right now. Code is correct in the shopify code editor but it doesn't reflect in the actual theme.

jjnotjayjay
Tourist
4 0 2

I am also experiencing the same issue.  A theme and corresponding themekit config that have worked for years have suddenly stopped functioning - specifically for the theme.scss.css file.

Changes to other liquid, HTML, etc. files continue to take effect as expected.  As other posters have reported, I see the local changes to theme.scss.css reflected in the Shopify Theme Editor under Edit Code, but don't actually see the CSS changes when previewing the page.  The file is called via a standard call (which has not changed in years):

{{ 'theme.scss.css' | asset_url | stylesheet_tag }}

Major issue blocking most development.

jjnotjayjay
Tourist
4 0 2

FWIW, this issue appears to have been resolved by Shopify.

mwilk
Shopify Partner
2 0 2

I'm facing this issue right now, I've tried to use 

--live-reload full-page --poll

but nothing seems to work. JS/CSS are refreshed properly, but Liquid files not updating when working on local URL. 

APStudio
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

I'm experiencing this as well, using the latest version of the CLI.

Files are marked as Synced in the console but are not getting updated in browser. It was working fine and it stopped working out of the blue.

MB80
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

@APStudio wrote:

I'm experiencing this as well, using the latest version of the CLI.

Files are marked as Synced in the console but are not getting updated in browser. It was working fine and it stopped working out of the blue.

same here, my specs: 

macbook m3 pro,
macOs Sonoma updated,
node 20/21 ( tried both ) 
VERSION
@Shopify/cli/3.56.2 darwin-arm64 node-v20.10.0

Kyosuke
Shopify Partner
5 1 1

It is exactly the same situation.
The CSS file can be updated, but the liquid file is not updated.

my specs

Windows 11

Version

shopify CLI v3.56.3

node v19.3.0

Kyosuke
Shopify Partner
5 1 1

I fixed it by "gem update"

This is my case. I don't sure about everybody can do it.

HenryReith
Shopify Partner
6 1 2

I had the same issue. 

I did gem update and homebrew upgrade shopify-cli and it worked again. 

xhudaman
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I am running my local server in Docker and I am having this issue too.  One step further, running `shopify theme push` doesn't seem to update the live version of the theme on the development store either.

I don't have access to the underlying ruby/rails stuff so I can't even run `gem update`.  Tried `shopify upgrade` and that seems to not even recognize that it's a Shopify project.  Updating the cli package didn't do anything for me either.

Versions:

Ubuntu 22.04.4

Docker 25.0.3

Node 18.16.1

Pnpm 8.6.9

Shopify CLI 3.47.3 / 3.56.3

APStudio
Shopify Partner
4 0 1

Upgrading the CLI to the latest version (3.56.3) fixed the issue for me.

ChunkySteveo
Shopify Partner
17 0 5

Looks like this has occurred again just now for some users?

I was able to resolve by doing a "shopify upgrade" which updated it to "3.56.3" and I was then able to see local changes occur again.

Quentin_
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Same issue with liquid files (JS and CSS are updated) with Shopify CLI 3.57.0

Node 21.7.1

Running on MacOS Sonoma 14.4

Quentin_
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

After testing various options (update brew, CLI, node), in my case it was just a conflict with local json files. Delete local theme, rebuild config/*.json files and create a new local theme (with a new ID) solved it.