Can I edit the default English language texts in Shopify Inbox?

peterballa
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi,

I am thrilled to use the new 'Shopify inbox' app, but the store language is unsupported and some text is appearing in English (the app reverts back to the default language).

Could someone help me where can I edit/change the English language text's for 'Shopify inbox'? I don't mind editing the code.

More precisely I would like to edit the texts: 'Chat with us' and 'Message us'

Thanks a lot for the help!

Br,

Peter

Replies 23 (23)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @peterballa.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community! I really appreciate your enthusiasm about Shopify Inbox. Our team is excited about it too.

Shopify Inbox uses the same language for the online store chat as your theme language. It is expected behavior for the online chat to default to English if the language isn't currently supported. What language is your store set to? While there isn't a way to translate the text that has defaulted to English, I would like to make sure that our developers are aware of what language(s) you would like to see available in the future.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

cielo
Tourist
4 0 0

So.. basically our clients would see a two-language chat 🙂

My shop language is set Romanian.  

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@cielo wrote:

So.. basically our clients would see a two-language chat 🙂

My shop language is set Romanian.  

Thanks for letting me know, @cielo! I have submitted a request to our developers on your behalf to let them know that you'd like to see Romanian included in our list of supported languages. While I cannot guarantee if and when changes may take place, we'll keep you posted on any updates in the Shopify Changelog.

peterballa
Tourist
3 0 3

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for helping out! My store uses the Serbian language as the default language. 

You can also suggest to the developers to make every text editable, this way everyone could localize it to its own native language.

Cheers,

Peter

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@peterballa wrote:

Hi Sophia,

Thank you for helping out! My store uses the Serbian language as the default language. 

You can also suggest to the developers to make every text editable, this way everyone could localize it to its own native language.

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you for sharing this feedback, Peter! I've submitted a request to our developers on your behalf. Though I'm unable to guarantee which changes will be made, I know that our developers are always looking for ways to improve the product and that they'll greatly appreciate your input. Please keep an eye out for any updates on the Shopify Changelog.

Health_Point_Kf
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi ,

I am using my store with Hungarian language. Do you have an estimation when will the Hungarian language be available  

Thank you in advance!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Health_Point_Kf wrote:

Hi ,

I am using my store with Hungarian language. Do you have an estimation when will the Hungarian language be available  

Thank you in advance!

Hi, @Health_Point_Kf!

While I won't be able to provide a timeline for when specific languages will be supported, I can absolutely submit a request to our developers for translations in Hungarian. However, I believe that at least some of the Shopify Inbox text should already have translated to Hungarian if that is the language your store's theme is using (under Online Store > Themes > Actions > Edit languages).

Can you please clarify for me whether some of the text in Shopify Inbox has translated to Hungarian, or if it is all still displayed in English? Thanks!

fancymeliro
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Sophia ,

As I'm testing Shopify Inbox, I've noticed that on my app some of the text was in Romanian (my store's default language), but in the browser (the client) it was in English. Any idea why? It is based on the browser's language? If so, I think it's a wrong approach as in Romania, most of the browsers are in English and I would like to offer the best experience to my customers by showing them the app in Romanian. You can check it as well, my store is http://fancymeli.ro

I think the best way would be for us to translate the text in Edit languages.

Thank you,

Robert

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@fancymeliro wrote:

Hi @Sophia ,

As I'm testing Shopify Inbox, I've noticed that on my app some of the text was in Romanian (my store's default language), but in the browser (the client) it was in English. Any idea why? It is based on the browser's language? If so, I think it's a wrong approach as in Romania, most of the browsers are in English and I would like to offer the best experience to my customers by showing them the app in Romanian. You can check it as well, my store is http://fancymeli.ro

I think the best way would be for us to translate the text in Edit languages.

Thank you,

Robert

Hey, Robert!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The "Can I get an update on my order status" option cannot be edited, but should translate automatically for supported languages. I checked in with the Shopify Inbox team about this and they have implemented a fix, so you should see an update in the next couple of days. If you don't see a change within the next 48 hours or so, please let me know.

Laiaft
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi, Sophia!

I have the same problem as Peter and my store language is Catalan. For me it's important to offer the opening message for communication in the language of my store.

Thanks,

Laia

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Laiaft wrote:

Hi, Sophia!

I have the same problem as Peter and my store language is Catalan. For me it's important to offer the opening message for communication in the language of my store.

Thanks,

Laia

Hi, Laia!

Thank you for sharing your store language here. I have submitted feedback to our developers to let them know that you would like to see Catalan as a supported language for Shopify Inbox translations.

In the meantime, you might be able to use one of the third-party translation apps. These apps will either have free plans available or a free trial period so you can test to see which one might work best for your store.

Petar_Minkov
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello Sophia, I think I have the same issue as the other people in this thread, mainly my store/home language is Bulgarian which is supported by Shopify but  "Can I get an update on my order status" is not translated automatically - can you please check with the team? 

Also, from where I can modify the 'Chat with us' translation in Bulgarian.

Cheers and stay safe!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Petar_Minkov wrote:

Hello Sophia, I think I have the same issue as the other people in this thread, mainly my store/home language is Bulgarian which is supported by Shopify but  "Can I get an update on my order status" is not translated automatically - can you please check with the team? 

Also, from where I can modify the 'Chat with us' translation in Bulgarian.

Cheers and stay safe!

Hi, @Petar_Minkov!

Currently, Shopify Inbox does not have Bulgarian translations available. However, I have submitted a request to our developers on your behalf.

The 'Chat with us' button will remain in English. Instead of translating it, you can choose a chat bubble icon as opposed to a button with text. You'll find this option under Inbox > Appearance (Customize) > Brand customization

09-38-65364-84376

Hopefully we'll be able to translate Shopify Inbox into more languages going forward, making this a temporary workaround. In the meantime, another option is to look into the third-party translation apps in the Shopify App Store, as it is possible that some of these may translate Shopify Inbox.

mdortlon
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hi Sophia, 

My client currently has Shopify chat installed but we want all q&a to be in Spanish or English depending on the customer's preference. Right now the only one that is translated properly is the pre-built "Track my Order". How can we translate the others? 

I asked our third party translation app if they could help and they responded that because it's <iframe> they are unable to do so. 

What should we do?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@mdortlon wrote:

Hi Sophia, 

My client currently has Shopify chat installed but we want all q&a to be in Spanish or English depending on the customer's preference. Right now the only one that is translated properly is the pre-built "Track my Order". How can we translate the others? 

I asked our third party translation app if they could help and they responded that because it's <iframe> they are unable to do so. 

What should we do?

Hi, @mdortlon!

I appreciate you checking in with the app developers, and bringing this use case to our attention.

At this time, Shopify Inbox won't translate based on the customer's location or preferred language, but I have submitted a feature request on your behalf. While I can't guarantee when and if this change will be implemented, please feel free to keep an eye on the Shopify Changelog for any updates.

Melissariou
Visitor
2 0 1

Hello!

Is there a multilanguage option ready to use for Shopify Inbox? My Store is in French and English and I'd like to display both languages for my chat feature.

Let me know! 🙂

Cheers!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@Melissariou wrote:

Hello!

Is there a multilanguage option ready to use for Shopify Inbox? My Store is in French and English and I'd like to display both languages for my chat feature.

Let me know! 🙂

Cheers!

Hi, @Melissariou!

Currently, Shopify Inbox will only appear in your store's default language (set under Settings > Languages). I have let our developers know that you'd like to see a translation option available since your store offers multiple languages to customers. Thank you for reaching out about this.

Debacq
Tourist
9 1 8

appreciate your kind support. May I ask if it’s realistic to get a multi language feature in the near future or should I consider moving to another app? 

it just makes sense to have that feature because it is quite odd to have your website in French and your chat box in English for some customers. 

Is it something that could be achieved through custom coding from my side or impossible?

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @Debacq!

I appreciate your interest in providing multiple languages to your customers. While I'm not able to provide information on whether this feature is in development and when it might be available, I know that our team will consider your request for future updates. I can see that someone has already noted your request here.

I can't provide coding advice, so I recommend checking out the multi-language chat apps in the meantime.

CarolineSundays
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello Sophia,

I was wondering if there was anything new about this topic, as I would also like to be able to translate consistently our Chat and not to have only "Track my order" translated in French and the rest in English. Any further decision from the developers to allow this?

Thank you very much in advance,

Caroline

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

@CarolineSundays wrote:

Hello Sophia,

I was wondering if there was anything new about this topic, as I would also like to be able to translate consistently our Chat and not to have only "Track my order" translated in French and the rest in English. Any further decision from the developers to allow this?

Thank you very much in advance,

Caroline

Hi, Caroline!

Shopify Inbox should appear in the same language as your theme, provided it is a supported language. French is supported, so Shopify Inbox should appear in French for your store so long as your theme is set to French as well.

If you're still seeing English on Shopify Inbox, please get in touch with our team via the Shopify Help Center so we can investigate. Thank you!

MinnieLittyy
Excursionist
28 3 7

Any update on this? I added about 93 languages . I turned on french but, chat still shows english. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1666 108 217

Hi, @MinnieLittyy!

As mentioned in the previous reply, Shopify Inbox should appear in the same language as your theme, provided it is a supported language.

French is a supported language. If you're still seeing English on Shopify Inbox even though your theme is set to French, please get in touch with our team via the Shopify Help Center so we can investigate.