Solved

Site down due to nameserver update

mreynolds
Excursionist
31 0 5

Hi,

I need to update the nameservers on my site and am told by the hosting company the site will be down for 24-48 hours (48 hours worst case). 

During the update, will the site be completely broken where the URL doesn't work or will it work intermittently? I need to know to post the proper message to customers.

I see that if I enable the password in settings, the store shows a 'coming soon' message even though I have text pertaining to 'under maintenance' in the note section and this doesn't show. 

1. How do I make the page show my message and not 'coming soon'
  2.  Do I need to use an app to show a 'under maintenance' landing page?

Accepted Solutions (2)

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @mreynolds  go to theme customization then select password page and select text coming soon and change it simple.under.JPG

- Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website

View solution in original post

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

@mreynolds  look if your store is on domain and that domain is down then you should first redirect that down domain to some myshopify.com password page!

abc.com is attached with abc.myshopify.com if ABC is down traffic needs to be redirected before its down so better to redirect traffic to abc.myshopify.com in there you can ask the hosting provider if the site is down can I redirect the coming traffic to abc.myshopify.com where it will be the primary domain and traffic to be land in case if abc.com is down!

I hope this makes sense.

@mreynolds 

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

Hi @mreynolds  go to theme customization then select password page and select text coming soon and change it simple.under.JPG

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
mreynolds
Excursionist
31 0 5

Thank you so much.

mreynolds
Excursionist
31 0 5

Hello,

Does this mean the site will not be completely broken while the nameservers are updating and customers will just see my message?

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

it depends if they are redirected to the domain where password page is enabled already!

@mreynolds 

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website
mreynolds
Excursionist
31 0 5

Is the password page in Shopify decoupled from the Shopify site itself, meaning, does that page reside on a different server than the rest of the site? If it does, then I'm assuming it will still show. If it's on the same server then, should I try setting up the shopify site to redirect to an outside landing page that resides on a different server to display the message while it's down?

Does that make sense?

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

@mreynolds  look if your store is on domain and that domain is down then you should first redirect that down domain to some myshopify.com password page!

abc.com is attached with abc.myshopify.com if ABC is down traffic needs to be redirected before its down so better to redirect traffic to abc.myshopify.com in there you can ask the hosting provider if the site is down can I redirect the coming traffic to abc.myshopify.com where it will be the primary domain and traffic to be land in case if abc.com is down!

I hope this makes sense.

@mreynolds 

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website

Ecommpremium
Shopify Partner
512 43 93

hi @mreynolds  simply go to theme customization then select password page then change text coming soon to whatever.under.JPG

- 300+ Video Tutorials
-Website