Solved

Site not loading on one computer

CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1

I recently transferred everything over to Shopify. Domain was purchased through GoDaddy years ago. Hosting was Siteground. Now all through Shopify to make my life easier.

The site works on all devices and friends/customers devices, however it won't load on my laptop. Loads on other devices on the same network so that leads me to believe its my computer.  Cleared the history, cookies and cache in all browsers.  When logging into Siteground, there is no domain or site to edit. Regardless of browser, I get the old Siteground message saying

"This is the default server vhost. This site's domain is either not yet pointed or is still propagating. Propagation may take up to 72 hours. Please check back later."

When I try to type in just the IP address it says I don't have permission. Tried ipconfig/dnsflush as well. Back end works fine until I preview the listing and it gives me a 404 error.

Not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Joe

Accepted Solution (1)
CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1

This is an accepted solution.

Quick Update: Apparently I had a host file on my c drive that was pointing to the old ip address. Removed the part that was pointing to the website and it worked. Thanks for you help! Figured this might help someone else along the way that might encounter the same problem.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

PaulNewton
Shopify Partner
6274 573 1319

Loads on other devices on the same network

Take your device to another network.

Try using a VPN.

cache in all browsers

If that above doesn't work that and different browsers not working indicates something is wrong with that laptops network settings such as set up to use a proxy, or the hosts file is modified, or even a development environment intercepting and trying to serve local content.

If NONE of that works and your advanced there's also setting up a virtual machine and testing access that way to see if something surfaces.

Save time & money ,Ask Questions The Smart Way

Confused? Busy? Get the solution you need paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com

Problem Solved? ✔Accept and Like solutions to help future merchants

Answers powered by coffee Buy Paul a Coffee for more answers or donate to eff.org

CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the help! Unlucky so far, here is what I tried...

Take your device to another network.

Try using a VPN.

I used my cell phone hotspot to connect and it gave me the same error. But it loads perfectly on the phone that has the hotspot. I tried VPN and again, same message.

If that above doesn't work that and different browsers not working indicates something is wrong with that laptops network settings such as set up to use a proxy, or the hosts file is modified, or even a development environment intercepting and trying to serve local content.

I turned off the windows network proxy. Got the same message. I downloaded Chrome (previously didn't have it installed) and got the same message. I've exhausted my technical knowledge up to this point. ha ha.

I appreciate your help and knowledge!

Thanks,

Joe

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @CSMP 

Would you be able to share the domain URL with me here in the forums? If not, would you be willing to share a screenshot of the current DNS settings for the domain (blurring out any identifying info). 

I believe there may be an issue in the DNS propagation but I can't confirm that without being able to check the domain URL. One way you can check this yourself is to use a site like DNS Checker - DNS Check Propagation Tool. You want to check both the A record and CNAME record and if there are any red Xs that means DNS was not successfully propagated. 

If the red X shows longer than 48 hours there is usually an issue with the DNS settings themselves or the way the DNS host is updating the DNS information. You can connect with our live support to further troubleshoot or share your domain URL here along with a screenshot of your DNS settings and I can also troubleshoot.

Let me know! 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1
Hi Shay!
I don’t mind sharing it at all.
Cottonseedmarketplace.com is the URL.

Thanks so much!
Joe
CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1

Hi Shay,

I don’t mind sharing at all. It is cottonseedmarketplace.com

Thanks so much!

Joe

Shay
Shopify Staff
2780 440 566

Hi @CSMP 

Thanks for sharing your URL! I think I found the issue. When inspecting the domain using Who.is I was able to see that the domain is outputting two separate A records, which could be creating a conflict.

07-05-14629-7729

For reference, you should only have one A RECORD on file and one CNAME record and both should point to Shopify. You can find the most up to date A record and CNAME record in our Help Center here: Connect your third party domain.

If you do not have 2 a records in your DNS list and it has been longer than 48 hours please contact your domain host and share that information with them so they can further investigate. Hope this solves it for you! 

Shay | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

CSMP
Tourist
5 1 1

This is an accepted solution.

Quick Update: Apparently I had a host file on my c drive that was pointing to the old ip address. Removed the part that was pointing to the website and it worked. Thanks for you help! Figured this might help someone else along the way that might encounter the same problem.

mltechnz
Visitor
2 0 1

Wow, I've been trying for weeks to figure this out. My site would work on my phone and other  computers but not on my own, no matter what browser I used. Thanks so much. I deleted the IP address in the hosts file - C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc - and saved it. FINALLY WORKING!! Thanks.