site won't load with "www." in front of it

Bik123
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi,

My site is loading when typed domain.lu but fails to load when typed www.domain.lu

What could be the reason?

I'll add that I'm still on lite plan so re direction is disabled, can be issue related to that?

Thank you,

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 167 220

Hi, @Bik123! Thanks for starting this topic.

A URL with the structure www.domain.lu is called a subdomain, and therefore needs to be set up as a CNAME within your DNS Settings. 

Where is your domain being hosted? If it is with Shopify, then you can add a CNAME record as seen below by going to ‘Online Store > Domains > Manage > DNS Settings > Add custom record’. These steps are also found in the Help Doc View or edit the DNS settings for a domain.

29-24-16897-24870

However, if your domain is hosted on a third party platform, please login to your account there to edit your DNS Settings to include a subdomain by adding the same CNAME record. If you need a hand with this, please reach out to your domain host directly. 

That being said, the Lite Plan does not include an online store, so you won’t have a storefront to even direct your domain and subdomain to. Since you own a custom domain already, are you planning to have an online store eventually?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Bik123
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi,

yes I'm planning to move to normal plan soon once store will be ready.

I have domain from external provider not shopify as it's .lu domain.

I have CNAME with following set up:

Canonical name: www.shops.myshopify.com.

Host: www.mydomain.lu

Is it correct ? or I need to first move to basic plan in order to check?

Please see answer from my domain provider:

When trying to resolve www.shops.myshopify.com, which is not managed by our name servers,
it doesn't resolve to an IP or another server name. Only SOA record is received.
This means that the host www.shops.myshopify.com is not well pointed.

Since the host www.shops.myshopify.com os not managed by EuroDNS you need to contact 
the Shopify support to have this fixed.

I remain at your disposal for any other questions or assistance you might need. I will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Bik123
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Helen, could you advice on above?

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 167 220

Hi again, @Bik123. Sorry to hear you’re still having trouble with this. I am not familiar with the way EuroDNS configures their DNS settings, and so it would be best to provide them with the information in this Help Doc so that they can advise if your DNS settings are set up properly from their end. However, I did find a topic in EuroDNS’ Help Center that may help: How do I add a CNAME Record?

Therefore, if the inputs you currently have for your CNAME are not working, then my advice would be to adjust your DNS settings as follows to see if this helps. Please also be sure to wait up to 48 hours after making the changes to allow for it to update:

Host: www

Canonical name: shops.myshopify.com

Let me know how it goes!

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 167 220

Hey, @Bik123. Just wanting to follow up to see if you were able to resolve this by adjusting your Host and Canonical Name fields?

0 Likes
Bik123
Tourist
9 0 1

Yes it works - Thank you.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1324 167 220

That’s great to hear, @Bik123! Thanks for following up, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

0 Likes