Solved

Why is my domain SSL pending on Shopify and what should I do?

Uza
Tourist
6 0 2

I've noticed for the last week that my domain is SSL pending. I have not launched yet and I didn't have it before at all just from this last week. What should I do and what does it mean?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)
Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you for the screenshots, and for sharing your URL.

After taking a look at your domain URL using this website, I can now see the issue.

The issue is you have multiple A records, but one is linked incorrectly, which is causing an issue with your subdomain (www).

15-09-u77lx-sw675

To remove this option, you will need to edit the DNS settings within your Shopify managed domain. Within your admin, click on Online store > Domains > Manage > DNS settings.

Can you take a look at this section, remove that record above, and let me know how you get on.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 44 (44)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Hi, @Uza,

Hank here from Shopify.

The most common reason that your SSL is still pending is due to what is known as domain propagation which can take up to 72 hours to update across servers worldwide, although it is normally resolved within a few hours. However, when it goes outside of this, it is usually down to the DNS settings when connecting your domain.

When a domain is purchased from within Shopify, your DNS records are automatically set, but I will share below the steps of how to connect your domain.

The most important thing to note is to ensure that there are not multiple A records associated. You will need to ensure that only one A record is associated as this will have a direct effect on your SSL certificate. I will share a snippet from the guide below for ease of access!

14-10-8u25v-xo46d

Can you share your URL, and I can check the DNS settings? Note that once you make any changes to the URL, it can take up to 72 hours as previously mentioned.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hank

Uza
Tourist
6 0 2

Hi Hank,

Thank you for your help I'm sharing my URL here: https://bambu-bottle.com/

From what I can see the DNS settings has only one A but maybe I'm wrong..?

Thanks

Uza
Tourist
6 0 2

The problem is with the www domain:

Untitled.png

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you for the screenshots, and for sharing your URL.

After taking a look at your domain URL using this website, I can now see the issue.

The issue is you have multiple A records, but one is linked incorrectly, which is causing an issue with your subdomain (www).

15-09-u77lx-sw675

To remove this option, you will need to edit the DNS settings within your Shopify managed domain. Within your admin, click on Online store > Domains > Manage > DNS settings.

Can you take a look at this section, remove that record above, and let me know how you get on.

Uza
Tourist
6 0 2

Yes I can see now the the SSL Pending is gone.

Thank you very much for your help! 

Enjoy your weekend and stay safe 🙂

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

That is awesome to hear, you are very welcome, my friend!

Do reach back out to us if you need anything, stay safe, and have an awesome weekend!

Emmarubinet93
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I am having the same problem with an SSL pending since long time. Can you please check what is wrong with it?

www.rubinet.it

rubinet.myshopify.com

Thank you!

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for reaching out about this, @Emmarubinet93, and for sharing your store URL.

I took a look at your domain using this website, and I can see a few issues that are key to correctly provisioning SSL certificates when connecting your domain. I have taken a screenshot and offer some suggestions to change within your DNS settings, and your SSL certificate should issue within the domain propagation timeframe (usually within 48 hours).

15-36-v71eq-4mv6t

Let me know how you get on with this!

labdogmom
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there. I am also having the same problem. www.oakwooddecals.com and I attached screenshots of my GoDaddy settings. I first tried to connect to GoDaddy automatically, I had the ssl pending for a week, so I disconnected it and tried manually, messed it up, then tried to connect automatically again, went in and changed what had been advised in previous posts and still can't get right. Please help me, I'm frustrated.

Thank you very much shopify screenshot 1.pngshopify screenshot 2.pngin advance!

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @labdogmom!

Don here from Shopify.

I'm just helping my good friend Hank out here with some replies on this thread.

Could you do me a favour and try removing the extra CNAME records (other than the one for www. which is correctly pointing to shops.myshopify.com) and save those settings there?

Let me know what happens when you make that change and we can discuss further steps to support you here if necessary.

It can take 24 hours or more for changes to DNS records like this to update online, so I would wait a while after making changes like this before expecting to see them propagate online.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 

labdogmom
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey there.  I did the above changes and it's still showing pending. Then I tried purchasing a domain name through Shopify, that was 5 days ago and it still shows ssl pending, as well as the other domain name. Not sure what to do.

Thanks!

thmaxi
Visitor
1 0 0

I have the same problem 5 days with SSL pending - what is wrong here:

holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
2a01:4f8:251:5846:0:0:0:2
 Edit  Delete
ipv6.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
holmenes.dk.3600INMX
Priority: 0
Destination: holmenes.dk
 Edit  Delete
mail.holmenes.dk.3600INCNAME
holmenes.dk
 Edit  Delete
www.holmenes.dk.3600INCNAME
shops.myshopify.com
 Edit  Delete
ftp.holmenes.dk.3600INCNAME
holmenes.dk
 Edit  Delete
_autodiscover._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INSRV
Weight: 0
Port: 443
Target: cpanelemaildiscovery.cpanel.net
 Edit  Delete
webdisk.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
webdisk.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
_caldavs._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INSRV
Port: 2080
Target: cp06.azehosting.net
 Edit  Delete
_caldavs._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
path=/
 Edit  Delete
cpanel.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
cpanel.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
_carddavs._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INSRV
Port: 2080
 Edit  Delete
_carddavs._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
path=/
 Edit  Delete
autoconfig.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
autoconfig.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
_carddav._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INSRV
Port: 2079
 Edit  Delete
_carddav._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
path=/
 Edit  Delete
autodiscover.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
autodiscover.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
_caldav._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INSRV
Port: 2079
 Edit  Delete
_caldav._tcp.holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
path=/
 Edit  Delete
cpcontacts.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
cpcontacts.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
webmail.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
webmail.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
cpcalendars.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
cpcalendars.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
whm.holmenes.dk.3600INA
 Edit  Delete
whm.holmenes.dk.3600INAAAA
 Edit  Delete
default._domainkey.holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
v=DKIM1; k=rsa; p=MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEA5TIPVW7MxBaKszlOfXaxz3MABgB8b620ekvUsbwhtSEFR9ahJUlDgyCb7OkCTIi2eYa6WgN0iDOkl6xHq8gKdOiq5HI96qdiluOOvsCRv12Mru4EItJ16WdbrwzmdmT9Xd2ovTDAyzbVEbyjnxk6O4mjd/60gBBI7jipFPRogtEaUmBzDs5JtRb0Aykq+cwWpKaUIQ/2b1EX3KII02sn8J3PR2eBrpXYEvA9Fhy2KWzQGbvqfr6pq1IV7PRUNEVtsz7djueP6l0KychubORfoJJbfPB74efMHlWBgopFUr8qmvciga/OUhfrSdIb2Z7yvEhXyMoNrVtyV/Wr895btQIDAQAB;
 Edit  Delete
holmenes.dk.3600INTXT
v=spf1 +a +mx +ip4:157.90.34.121 include:spf.azehosting.net ~all
Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @labdogmom!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for getting back to me here with that info and apologies for my delay in replying myself as I have been off work for a few days.

At this point, the best thing you can do is to reach out via our help centre, where we'll be able to view more specific info on your account and discuss it with you securely.

There we'll be able to check this out in more detail with you and see what we can achieve.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Jason1234
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, I’m having these same issues I’m not sure if I set it up correctly I’m confused on what I’m supposed to do.

I bought my domain thru 3rd party and I’m hoping you can help me? My domain is scandiconcept.com.au but it says SSL pending.

Thanks and regards

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @Jason1234!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for sharing your query and your domain name with me here!

I had a look at the website you linked here and I can see the SSL cert is showing up there okay due to the secure lock icon in my browser.

It can sometimes take up to 48 hours for changes in DNS settings to fully propagate online in order to allow for the provision of security certs.

Can you tell me a bit more about your business and what you're working on at the moment?

If you're still working your way towards launching your store, our store launch checklist is a great resource to have on hand leading up to the big day.

In any case, let me know how we can be of service to you here!

Regards,

Don

tottoys
Visitor
1 0 0

Help me pls with ssl Безымянный22.png

Haris8
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there I have the same issue and don't know how to solve this i am just a beginner please help.

my website is inkies.pkScreenshot (65).png

jojobloom
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I am a having the same problem with 'SSL pending' 
I successfully connect my domain on Monday Oct 19 (Sydney AUST time) and as at Thursday still pending

My A record is the only one point at: 23.227.38.65

www.jojobloom.com CNAME points at shops.myshopify.com 

I am reasonably tech and web literate but I have never experienced such a long period of propagation.
Is there any other likely cause?

Mark

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for reaching out about this, Mark.

I took a look at your domain using this website and I see what the issue is.

You have two values for the A record, so this is causing the issue with the SSL certificate. 

Can you remove the highlighted version below? Once you do this, your certificate will reissue for you.

22-18-r0ikj-211l1

j_butchergirls
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Hank!

I'm having the same issue with SSL Pending. We host through GoDaddy for our Shopify butchergirls.co, and added a subdomain for our second Shopify store (la.butchergirls.co) successfully. The SSL went through quickly!

Now, with ny.butchergirls.co, the SSL still says Pending but the DNS settings look correct to me. Obviously our customers can't check out in the meanwhile. Can you help?

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @j_butchergirls, and also for sharing your store URL(s), this was very helpful!

I took a look at all three of the links you shared, and while the CNAME records look good, there is an issue with the A Record on all three domains. I have taken a screenshot showing which value needs to be amended which I will share below.

Once you make the changes, it can take up to 72 hours for domain propagation but as you have the domain already active, it should not take that long, but let me know how you get on!

j_butchergirls
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey @Hank !

Thanks for looking into this and being so thorough! I can't seem to find those A records. Here's a screenshot of our DNS settings within GoDaddy. Could there be somewhere else we need to be looking?

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 4.58.28 PM.png

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

That certainly seems strange. I used this website to view your DNS settings, but are those the DNS settings for all three of your domains you listed?

Or is there a separate subsection within your GoDaddy page?

Buttercup83
Visitor
2 0 2

hey frank, Thanks for helping us out. My shop name is www.shoppublichardware.com through google domains. On Friday I set up the domain and there was an option to let shopify set all the options, I did that. today is Monday and I am still in SSL pending

I think I have checked this thread to see the answers. I SEE that I have two of the "a" types online. but when I go to the dns link in google domains I do not see the option to delete them... this is all I see (see attachment)sslpending.jpg

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @Buttercup83.

I can see what might be the cause, but once I clicked on your URL, it brought me to a page advising the domain had expired, did you recently purchase or renew the domain?

11-43-c8nlg-js909

However, once I checked the web address on this site, it showed me multiple A records, which would be the root cause of a pending SSL cert. I will advise of the correct values to be input below.

11-47-c9wyc-iv1vz

Now as you stated, you can see this online, but not in the field itself, and are having an issue connecting your third-party domain. The DNS records should be located within the hosting panel, although as mentioned the link above advised me the domain was expired, so I would advise reaching out to Google Domains directly. Simply advise them of what you require, and they should be able to show you how this is done on their end.

Once you edit the DNS records, allow 24-72 hours for the domain propagation to complete, and you should see the SSL certificate issued.

Let me know how you get on, or if you have any additional questions!

Buttercup83
Visitor
2 0 2

I talked to the lady at google domains, She had me delete all the AAA and told them they were conflicting, so in 48 hours I will have my answer

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

That sounds awesome!

I would advise you to edit the A record as mentioned above, but doing all of this will cause the SSL certificate to be reissued for you.

Let me know once the A record has been changed, and if you need further assistance.

AAAAAutomotive
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Hank, I'm in the same boat.  My domain is aaaaautomotive.com, managed by GoDaddy.  

I have the same problem as others on this thread.  I checked on GoDaddy and there was an extra A record (sitetesting.aaaaautomotive.com) which I removed.  I am left with 2 A records- @ and mobile.    Please see attached screenshots from Shopify and GoDaddy.

Is there something I need to do in order to move forward?  Note - the @ A record points to an IP address that is owned by Shopify, I'm assuming the mobile A record was added by Shopify.  There's also another IP address for www.aaaaautomotive.com also owned by Shopify, I'm assuming that was added by Shopify.  It does not appear as a A record on GoDaddy.

Please let me know if there's some action I can take to move this forward, as the DNS record has already propagated and what we seem to be waiting on is an SSL cert...

Untitled.jpgUntitled 2.jpg

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out here, @AAAAAutomotive, and for sharing the screenshots which were very helpful.

I took a look and I can see the issue, it is certainly with the two A records, as we only require one with a value of 23.227.38.65. So I have just highlighted using your image, what needs to be done, which I will share below.

29-20-s6qb0-v0u3u

Once you change your DNS settings, the change can take up to 72 hours for domain propagation to complete.

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @j_butchergirls, and also for sharing your store URL(s), this was very helpful!

I took a look at all three of the links you shared, and while the CNAME records look good, there is an issue with the A Record on all three domains. I have taken a screenshot showing which value needs to be amended which I will share below.

Once you make the changes, it can take up to 72 hours for domain propagation but as you have the domain already active, it should not take that long, but let me know how you get on!

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Hank,

I'm having an issue where my SSL has been pending for several weeks. my site is www.earthen-living.com

Could you please help me solve this issue?

Thanks,

Zaal 

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, @zaal, and for sharing your store URL.

I took a look at your website using this site, and I can see some potential reasons for your SSL certificate not being issued correctly. I do not see a CNAME record associated with your domain and I also see an incorrect A record. But don't worry, I will assist you here advising you of what to input into your DNS records.

03-03-ov2wh-s15ug

As the image shows, the A record needs to be changed. Can you change this value to 23.227.38.65, which is the preferred default for Shopify? I also do not see a CNAME record associated, can you add one here with a value of shops.myshopify.com. I will share this guide that shows how to connect your third-party domain, or if using a Shopify owned domain, this can be done within the admin (Online Store > Domains > Manage).

Then once you change the DNS records, it can take up to 48 hours for domain propagation to fully complete. If after this time you are still seeing an issue, let me know!

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Ok, I updated the A record and reset the CNAME record in row 5 to the shopify default as I bought the domain through shopify. Hopefully that should sort the issue out.

Thanks Hank!

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 5.27.54 pm.png

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Great work my friend!

It certainly should, but sometimes a manual reset is needed, so certainly let me know if after 48 hours it has not been successfully sent.

I would advise that you keep the name of your CNAME to www, but let me know how you get on once the domain propagation has completed.

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Noted! updated it to www and will let you know if I still have any issue. Thanks again for your help!

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Hank, how are you? Its been 4 days since we spoke and I made the changes to sort out the SSL pending issue but it still says pending. Could you please help me out with it?

Thanks,
Zaal

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Great to hear from you again, my friend.

I took a look again at your site on this website, and I can still see multiple A records, which would be affecting the SSL certificate. Are you able to see this record within your DNS settings, and if so, can you remove it?

09-55-00oj4-pffpv

Let me know how you get on, my friend!

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Hey Hank, Thanks for your response. The A record was only showing one field ending with .65 but I reset it back to the original shopify settings and then edited it so that it ends with .65 again. Hopefully that should work:

Below is a screenshot of how the DNS settings look now:

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 4.29.01 pm.png

Thanks!

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for your patience, my friend.

I can still see on this site that there are multiple A records, which is different from the screenshot you sent me.

So it may be a case that the certificate may need to be reissued, or there is a technical issue with the domain that it is showing this, but either way, I have a recommendation for you. In order to provide you with the most efficient support for account-specific questions related to domains, please visit our Help Center, log in to your account, and create a support request.

We'll be happy to assist you further on live chat, email, or through a callback once your request has been received, and we can see why the SSL cert is stuck at pending.

zaal
Tourist
7 0 1

Awesome! thanks Hank! really appreciate your help and time. Managed to get it sorted with Edward from the support team

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

That is awesome to hear my friend!

Great that you got it resolved with the help of Edward.

Stay safe, and have an awesome day!

Dummyfashion
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey, I’m having these same issues I’m not sure if I set it up correctly I’m confused on what I’m supposed to do I bought my domain thru google and I’m hoping you can help me or maybe let me know what I need to do step by step for google or if I need to do anything my domain I have connected is dummyfashion.com but it says ssl pending 

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out about this, and for sharing your store URL, @Dummyfashion.

This allowed me to take a closer look at your domain using this website and I can see a few things that are causing the SSL to be stuck at a pending status when trying to connect your domain. I have shared the information below, and the recommend suggestions to take to resolve this.

16-18-bqevp-4nu28

Once you make these changes, the SSL certificate will be provisioned once more, which can take up to 48 hours.

Let me know how you get on!