Solved

Titles: Are EXACT duplicates an issue if the barcode/ item number (not SKU) are unique?

MonicaT
Visitor
2 0 0

Titles: Are EXACT duplicates an issue if the barcode/ item number (not SKU) are unique?

I need to know if exact duplicate titles with different stock numbers (aka: Barcode (ISBN, UPC, GTIN, etc.) could cause an issue - as in unexplained delays- for a Shopify sync?

Does Shopify require unique titles (not a variants issue as we don't use variants yet)?

We are having issues with our sync working from our inventory manager to Shopify.  It goes down from minutes to hours and days for no reason that can be determined from either side, and I figured that the hive-mind might have some insight that has evaded us all. 

The inventory manager system claims that unique titles are a necessity- which is just unrealistic.

@Josh_Uebergang   (because you seem to solve many a wayward's problem- TYIA)

Accepted Solutions (2)

Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
1012 43 268

This is an accepted solution.

Appreciated the comment.

It's unclear what you're referring to. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Is this for Shopify's Google channel app? Google does have a minimum requirement of distinguishing variants for the field:

• Distinguish between variants.
    • Add the distinguishing details of each variant to the title. For example, Google T-Shirt, Red. Don’t forget to submit these details also through the appropriate attributes such as color [color], size [size], or age group [age_group]. For product design elements that don’t have a corresponding attribute, such as "flavor", add them to the title.
    • Be specific. The more specific you are with your title, the easier it is for your customers to identify the correct product on your landing page as well as any of its possible variants. For example, you are selling curtains, and have listed 7 different curtains on your landing page, all distinguished through different sizes and colors. Customers need a simple way to quickly identify the product they were looking at initially. A specific title can help with that.

You'd also help shopping campaign performance by having well-built variations. That said, you said you don't have variants but you have the same titles. That is strange. Can you give a sample product?

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping

View solution in original post

parallelspace12
Visitor
2 1 0

In this present age, which is the age of smartphones, there is nothing you cannot do; technological development has made it possible for us to do pretty much everything just with a few taps on the available apps

https://parallelspaceapk.org/

banned

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

Josh_Uebergang
Shopify Expert
1012 43 268

Appreciated the comment.

It's unclear what you're referring to. Maybe I'm missing something obvious. Is this for Shopify's Google channel app? Google does have a minimum requirement of distinguishing variants for the field:

• Distinguish between variants.
    • Add the distinguishing details of each variant to the title. For example, Google T-Shirt, Red. Don’t forget to submit these details also through the appropriate attributes such as color [color], size [size], or age group [age_group]. For product design elements that don’t have a corresponding attribute, such as "flavor", add them to the title.
    • Be specific. The more specific you are with your title, the easier it is for your customers to identify the correct product on your landing page as well as any of its possible variants. For example, you are selling curtains, and have listed 7 different curtains on your landing page, all distinguished through different sizes and colors. Customers need a simple way to quickly identify the product they were looking at initially. A specific title can help with that.

You'd also help shopping campaign performance by having well-built variations. That said, you said you don't have variants but you have the same titles. That is strange. Can you give a sample product?

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
MonicaT
Visitor
2 0 0

Sorry for the lack of detail.

99% of our products are unique items.  We don't have typical stock.   So we can have 5  Platinum eternity band(s) that is the title, but they are all unique with unique  details from stone weight, color, etc. 

We are working but still have not nailed the variants for the few things for which we do have true variants on the same item, but that is not what I mean. 

Our inventory management system said the issues we are having  with the Shopify sync are caused by exact duplicate titles and that Shopify does not like them.  I agree with the next commenter that it is a silly notion in this day and age ( but, so is having custom fields that can't be searched as in Lightspeed) so I am here confirming that- while not necessarily optional-  exact duplicate titles would not cause a sync to malfunction. 

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am most appreciative.

parallelspace12
Visitor
2 1 0

In this present age, which is the age of smartphones, there is nothing you cannot do; technological development has made it possible for us to do pretty much everything just with a few taps on the available apps

https://parallelspaceapk.org/

banned