Uncheck the restock button by default when on the refund screen

MissJ
Tourist
5 0 27

Hi

We manage stock externally from Shopify and the volumes are updated regularly. 

When processing refunds there is an option to Restock the item which is ticked by default.

We never want to do that so is there a way we can set that button to be unchecked by default?

Thanks

Replies 58 (58)

Alexis_Ralphs
Tourist
4 0 24

Hello!

Did you ever get an answer to this? I’d also like to know. 

🙂

Alexis

kasey_oo
Visitor
2 0 6

Did you ever get a response to this question?

Alexis_Ralphs
Tourist
4 0 24
Not yet, sadly. It's a big pain point for us so I'd like to know!

🙂
ab01
Visitor
2 0 8

Same!

herniasupport
Tourist
4 0 8

It's a pain for us too

SeanBuffalo
Visitor
2 0 8

Looks like this went unanswered

Sweets91
Visitor
1 0 6

Did you ever resolve this as we're facing the same issue currently? 

Alexis_Ralphs
Tourist
4 0 24
No luck, sadly.
iamabushead
Visitor
2 0 11

I just asked this question to Shopify Plus support who confirmed:

- it is not possible to disable the "restock" feature

- nor set the default value to be "do not restock"

However this is apparently an open feature request, so potentially something that might be added as a feature in future.

VUnderground
Visitor
1 0 7

We find this a nightmare too. I hope Shopify do disable it in the future. 

PLN
Tourist
4 0 13

I also would appreciate that feature because I keep forgetting to uncheck the box one in a while. And if items are sold out or almost sold out, this ceates problems for sales without stock.

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

That auto re-stock is an absolute PITA! It has me swearing every other day. Drives me crazy. It really should be default 'off', or at least make you select each time.

jgalvin
Tourist
4 0 11

@Shopify Many people have wanted this feature for a long time, any chance you can make this an option in admin settings?

Asaricula
Visitor
1 0 5

This is their answer, 

They are not doing it because they feel that there are only a few of us who want this to happen.

Asaricula_0-1642890183372.png

wendysp
Tourist
7 0 15

Well then, let me log my frustration...

We process returns at a different warehouse.  Therefore, we almost never want to load inventory when we process the return on our shopify site.  Additionally, many, many "returns" are due to packages lost or damaged in shipping, so restocking them by default is not desired.  And, finally, most of our actual returns have been opened by the buyer and are unsellable, so we don't want them restocked by default.

Hope this helps up our Frustration count so we can at least get a switch added to choose the default state.  

PLN
Tourist
4 0 13
Same as we face this issue.
Shop2000
Excursionist
43 0 12

Yes please! Easy to miss and causing problems all the time!

dash-mateheads
Visitor
1 0 7

Hello,

Please implement adding a setting that removes the "auto restock" upon refund in your system. Adding back stock automatically is a nightmare when a product is out of stock and then we get orders for it. This is a MUST CHANGE setting in your system. This makes your product almost unusable.

MateHeads

OriZohar
Shopify Partner
5 0 20

+1 for this feature. Every time we miss this box we have to do another refund for another customer.

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Still not hearing anything on this. It must be the easiest change in the world to make. 😞

GraceC
Visitor
2 0 7

+1 

This is a must change to make

Spoon
Shopify Partner
14 0 7

After a bunch of new orders of an OOS item that was restocked thanks to this weakness in Shopify, I just talked to a support tech about this and pointed to this thread. Hopefully it will help this get implemented.

wendysp
Tourist
7 0 15

We desperately need this turned off as well!  I always forget to uncheck this and it always ends up biting me in the ass.  Definite PITA.

HeirloomArtCo
Visitor
1 0 4

Shopify, please fix this! Adding a function that allows users to select the default setting would be so helpful!

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

This idiotic default setting has been driving me and my customers crazy for 2 years. I've made numerous complaints and threads on the issue but Shopify have gone from ignoring to deleting the threads like this one. This one issue combined with their inaction, plus other minor annoyances has me regretting my choice to go with Shopify and I'm now looking at other hosting options.

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

It doesn't take much thought to realize that if this button is default to 'off', then if someone misses it, it won't actually cause a problem - your stock will be one over, that can be later remedied.

With default 'on', it causes endless problems when unchecking it gets missed, with customers re-buying stock that you don't have.

Even better - MAKE THE BUTTON REMEMBER YOUR SETTING!. Then everyone is happy.

umiajhu
Excursionist
23 0 28

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Having more items than are available is not as big of an issue as having sales that you cannot fulfill.

Any item that needs to be repackaged before being resold (which is most of them), will need to have the customer refunded before that process is complete.

This needs to be unchecked by default, or even better, remember your last selection. That should accommodate the majority of people.

Is anyone at @Shopify on this thread? It's been up for 3 years now...

Chancice
Visitor
1 0 2

Not sure why this is yet to be implemented when it causes so many issues for merchants having to remember to constantly uncheck this button! It's not difficult to add a setting which sets the default and gives the merchant the option?!?! @Shopify 

YellowBulldog1
Visitor
1 0 4

Add us to the list! Any user who uses a 3rd party warehouse to manage their stock needs this function! Its an absolute nightmare -  surely its so simple to change the default option!

jon26
Excursionist
11 0 12

THIS IS KILLING US! There is NEVER a reason that a return for us would automatically be restocked. What happens to us is we are out of an item, we get a return for that item, we refund the customer and we miss that stupid checkbox checked and then we sell an out of stock item. Very frustrating. Seems very easy to just default that to unchecked but looks like Shopify is ignoring us and instead making countless and unnecessary changes to the dashboard. Whoever the UI guy is that makes all these changes maybe he/she can look into this simple request.

Daviddbx
Excursionist
25 0 51

Absolutely unbelievable. They’ve re-vamped half of the UI, with small annoying changes for the worse, and they leave this stupid automatic selection as it was. The time to leave shopify gets ever sooner.

ZwartSchoenmode
Tourist
5 0 2

+1 for another one in need for this feature

Record-Town-TX
Visitor
1 0 1

Please add us to the “no check mark” list as well. 99% of our refunds are not restocked  - the toggle is overlooked just about everytime one of our employees does a refund. Then I hope I catch when this happens and make the inventory correction before it is sold in error - again. I’d love to be working on more productive projects for our business. It does appear this feature bug is being ignored while superficial changes like updating the Live View are consuming development resources. This is core business functionality with faulty logic that needs to be addressed. 

jon26
Excursionist
11 0 12

I was talking to a Shopify employee who is/was trying to get us to upgrade to Shopify Plus. I told him I'd consider upgrading when they fixed this issue 🙂  I'm not going to put their information here in case they aren't authorized to say what they said but this is the response I got:

"Hey Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I took a peek at the frustration and it looks like the team will be tackling this shortly. Regardless I'll pass on this info to the respective team.

Enjoy the rest of your week!"

That response was on March 6, 2023 so we'll see how long it takes. My reply was, "OK, when this issue is fixed we can restart talks about Shopify Plus." 

nina91
Tourist
4 0 6

Has this been resolved yet?  It seems like more retailers are looking for the simple functionality and it is losing businesses money!

JosiasG_Wyze
Visitor
2 0 2

Would love to know when this gets updated. This is a PITA for us as well. Please @Shopify team, make it happen! 

jon26
Excursionist
11 0 12

Maybe someone who uses Twitter and reach out to Tobi Lütke @tobi who co-founded Shopify and he can get this done. He is the largest stakeholder. It has been years and is probably a 5 min fix. 

CD2U
Visitor
1 0 3

You can add us to the “no check mark” list as well.  This has been causing us problems.  At least now we know why we've had stock issues, it shouldn't happen now we know what to do but taking it out of the hands of human error would be better.  Let us untick this option as default please.

BWolsey
Visitor
1 0 0

+1 for me as well. We refund our customers if what they purchased from us doesn't work for them in 100% of cases.  Unfortunately, what they are returning requires a reconditioning process 100% of the time as well, so it doesn't go back into stock ever! My support team has to manually uncheck that option every time, otherwise it totally messes up our inventory levels.  

PLEASE ADD A CONFIGURATION OPTION ON THE BACK END to eliminate this major frustration of your product.

jon26
Excursionist
11 0 12

yep! almost 4 years and Shopify has still failed to make this simple change. 😕 

I really think the only way to get this fixed is to have everyone on this thread spam shopify on Twitter until they address it.  ( spam with this link: https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/uncheck-the-restock-button-by-default-when-on-the-refu... )

livdapparel
Tourist
4 0 2

Still no implementation??
This post has 5000 views, cmon.

This feature needs to be implemented or people will start to look for alternative platforms.

jon26
Excursionist
11 0 12

I just found a buried link to a shopify support person....here is our coorespondence.

Jon 
11:16 am 06/14/2023
Why won't anyone at Shopify address this OVER 4 years old and 5000 views issue? We are relunctant to start another store on Shopify until this is addressed.
https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/uncheck-the-restock-button-by-default-when-on-the-refu...

Julia
12:02 pm 06/14/2023
Hi there Jon,

My name is Julia and I am happy to assist you today. Thank you for sharing the community thread you found on the issue of 'Uncheck The Restock Button By Default When On The Refund Screen'.

I can definitely see how having to be thorough and unchecking it each time is not ideal. I appreciate that it is making you reluctant to move forward with a new store.
I had a look through our system, and I can see that this is currently a trending, heavily requested adjustment to the way our platform works. I will make sure to include your feedback to the developers also. I can't confirm a timeline or even that this would be possible, but I feel that it's definitely worth adding your voice to the conversation.

You can keep an eye out on our changelog for any new releases such as this. If you have any other questions or requests, please let us know.

Kind Regards,
Julia | Shopify Support

livdapparel
Tourist
4 0 2
The coding is definitely there and it is possible. Just need to have the
developers look at it.
It should be a very quick adjustment to the code.

RafeGoldbach
Visitor
2 0 1

We need to set our default refund - restock option to false. When will this problem ever be addressed?

susanlangenes
Visitor
2 0 1

Another +1.  We NEVER need to restock and would love to have the "Restock item" unchecked by default! 

Cadon
Tourist
5 0 7

+1, This should have been an option included by the development team when making this feature. 

2019 to 2023, with so many views on this thread and its not yet changed or "fixed"

reached out to support to see if I could get any help, below was the main ending response;

"this "auto-tick restocking" is a default feature. That said, I would be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that it will be added, I'm more than happy to pass along your suggestions that would provide better services to the Shopify platform."

It seems we will have to live with this indefinitely unfortunately. 

Biota_Marine
Tourist
11 0 1

Add us to the list. At least give us an option to change the default restock checkbox to unchecked. 

Hal_Holmes-Pier
Tourist
6 0 3

Another +1, taking your time I see @Shopify

Hal_Holmes-Pier
Tourist
6 0 3

Has anyone managed to find a report to help identify the ones that have accidentally been left checked (re-stocked)?