Solved

Unidentifiable index page urls in Google Search Console with wpm suffix

VivekSharma89
Visitor
2 0 5

Hi Guys,

Just curious if anyone else is facing a similar issue where Google Console is showing a cluster of indexed pages with "wpm" for your website?

We have started to see them flagged for us starting December 2022 and it seems to be rising every month.

Is there a way I can restrict them? 

I can't use the 'noindex' tag as, that has to be put on the actual page that I do want to get indexed. Any clues would be appreciated.

Regards,

Vivek 

Accepted Solution (1)

shadi1
Explorer
73 1 47

This is an accepted solution.

HI Vivek

Its been a nightmare for a lot of people. Apparently Shopify did a no index no follow and also blocked the wpm@ in robot.txt . The problem with that is if Google already indexed a lot of wpm@ pages, the no index will not work if there also a block Disallow wpm@ in the robot.txt Which means all of the indexed pages are stuck in google. Last update from a shopify staff  is that there working on a fix to unblock it from the robot.txt . This way the no index will work and drop all of the wpm@ indexed pages. I know its confusing but you can get more info from this other thread.

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/shopify-bug-web-pixels-manager-sandbox/m-p/1987920#M12...

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

shadi1
Explorer
73 1 47

This is an accepted solution.

HI Vivek

Its been a nightmare for a lot of people. Apparently Shopify did a no index no follow and also blocked the wpm@ in robot.txt . The problem with that is if Google already indexed a lot of wpm@ pages, the no index will not work if there also a block Disallow wpm@ in the robot.txt Which means all of the indexed pages are stuck in google. Last update from a shopify staff  is that there working on a fix to unblock it from the robot.txt . This way the no index will work and drop all of the wpm@ indexed pages. I know its confusing but you can get more info from this other thread.

https://community.shopify.com/c/technical-q-a/shopify-bug-web-pixels-manager-sandbox/m-p/1987920#M12...

VivekSharma89
Visitor
2 0 5

Thanks, Shadi1. I will keep an eye on the solution and see if it solves the issue.

BadBoyYYC
Tourist
18 0 1

My solution was to do a temporary removal on console. I then redirected the pages that were created and indexed to the homepage. I know it’s a temporary solution but eventually google will know that the pages have been permanently moved. Are you noticing that there are web pixels manager pages and wpm pages created on your end or is it just the wpm pages for you? 

Mikay
Tourist
6 0 3

@BadBoyYYC I see both pages. I see the wpm pages in the Excluded by 'nonindex' tag report, and the web-pixel-manager pages in the Not found (404) page. 

Did you create redirects for all wpm and web-pixel-manager pages? For us, it's just a lot to go through...

Trevor
Community Moderator
3391 459 982

Hello everyone. 

Thank you for your patience while we worked towards providing a fix to this issue and building out an FAQ that addresses the primary concerns and questions from the primary thread about the Webpixels issue. You can find our FAQ on the Community Blog. 

We welcome you to continue the conversation in the blog section of the blog post with any valid questions that aren't already answered by the FAQ. We will monitor the comments section for any valid feedback on how this change may impact Shopify stores and will actively remove or edit any comments that spread misinformation or speculation on the issue. 

We'll be locking this thread for new replies, but will keep it viewable for historical purposes. 

Trevor | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog