Utilities Bill / Identity Verification

JakeWankmueller
Tourist
8 0 1

Hello,

I recently started a temporary shop for students of my University. It is requested that I need to send a Utilities Bill for Verification. With our shop we dont have a bill like that because we are in the legal sense a "company" inside the University. I think the proper translation is the constituted student body. So we are not allowed to register a company. Is there another way to verfiy ourselves? We do have Documents and bills adressed to the constituted student body.
Thanks in advance 🙂

Jakob

Replies 9 (9)

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi there @JakeWankmueller!

Don here from Shopify.

That's a great question!

I can check in with some of our escalated teams here to see if we can give a general answer on the situation you're in or if you'd need to get in touch directly for a more specific one.

Could you confirm in which country you're based and your store's URL so I can try to investigate this for you?

Would this be something you're asked for in the course of setting up a payment gateway for this store I imagine?

I look forward to checking this out with you.

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

JakeWankmueller
Tourist
8 0 1

Hey Don,

thanks for the quick reply :).
Im located in Germany. Our shopify ID is: hfg-merchandise.myshopify.com we already have a custom domain setup, but I believe this should be the one you are asking for.

Yes, after i setup the Payments i was asked to verify myself to receive payments. Because the ones that came and come will be on hold.

If there is anything more needed im happy to give it.

Regards

Jakob

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again @JakeWankmueller!

Thanks for confirming that.

I'm going to check to see if we can shed any light on this for you internally.

The team in question is not available right now, so I'm just going to need to get back to you (likely tomorrow) with more info here.

I'll try to get back as early as I can pending a reply from that team.

Until then!

Regards,

Don

JakeWankmueller
Tourist
8 0 1

Hey,

allright, I think that should be fine. Thanks for the help and ill see you tommorrow then 🙂

Regards

Jakob

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again @JakeWankmueller!

Don from Shopify once again.

I had an update since we last talked from our Business team internally who confirmed that it would need to be an individual's documents here to verify a representative individual.

As such, your student body documentation would not be eligible and you would need to nominate a representative whose identity and documentation would then be used.

Similar to opening a bank account, there are requirements in place for a payments account such as Know Your Customer laws and others.

Would you or another person involved in the project be willing to act as the representative for this account perhaps?

Let me know if you have any other questions in any case.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

JakeWankmueller
Tourist
8 0 1

Hey,

That kinda sounds right. I would be willing to be this person. How would be the course of action then? Can i just submit my ID?

Thanks Again 🙂

Don
Shopify Staff
2762 199 388

Hi again there!

Don from Shopify once again.

That's correct! If you're happy to be the representative here you would just need to make yourself the account owner (so that the documents submitted match the info for the account owner) and then submit your own documentation as appropriate.

It will then take some time to be reviewed, but you should still be able to process payments during that time.

Let me know here if you have any other questions on this or any other topic. 

All the best!

Regards,

Don

JakeWankmueller
Tourist
8 0 1

Hi Don,

I already am the Store Owner. I did Update the Name on the Owning account to mine. Before it was the name of the student body. But the question still persists that I am asked to send a Utilities Bill which shows the same name of the ID i sent in for Verification. I never had to send an ID and only have a Utilities Bill from my flat which has the name of my Flat mate on it. Would it be Ok to use a bill from my University? Unfortunatly there wont be a name on it.

Thanks again, kind regards

Jakob

wearenatureente
Tourist
3 0 1

I have the exact same issue! I cannot find any help for this