Solved

Validation failed: .jpg is not a valid image file type.

goat6323
Visitor
3 0 1

Hi,

I'm using a CSV file to import products into Shopify and a small number of the products are being imported successfully but most are being rejected with the same error message:

Validation failed: /images/products/tablet/RC0001RZ-22.jpg is not a valid image file type.

In this particular case, the complete URL of the image is https://d365pjkgt5rd4j.cloudfront.net/images/products/tablet/RC0001RZ-22.jpg

I can confirm this is a valid image file, it does render correctly, it validates as an image file according to tests I've done so I can't see what the problem is. All the images that I'm trying to import are saved in the same publicly accessible AWS Cloudfront location. Does anyone know why Shopify is rejecting some and not others?

Of course, the most frustrating part is that, if any one of the images specified for a product fails, the whole product is not imported.

Many thanks.

Accepted Solution (1)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

You need to ensure you can actually view the image in a browser for it to be usable in a csv import.

For example: https://cdn.shopify.com/shopifycloud/brochure/assets/retail/pos/index/product-item-ui-small-6ac97d62...

The image link you added forces a file download rather than image view.

Regards

Tom

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

This is an accepted solution.

Hi

You need to ensure you can actually view the image in a browser for it to be usable in a csv import.

For example: https://cdn.shopify.com/shopifycloud/brochure/assets/retail/pos/index/product-item-ui-small-6ac97d62...

The image link you added forces a file download rather than image view.

Regards

Tom

goat6323
Visitor
3 0 1

Thanks Tom. AWS S3 had incorrect content-types specified for the files that weren't working. I managed to run a CLI command on the S3 bucket to correct this and it's all working correctly now.

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

squirrel3
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

I have the same issue with uploading jpegs, an example link to an image I'm trying to upload is:ID10-LIFESTYLE.jpg (dropbox.com).  All the images I'm trying to upload are like this.  

I'm afraid I don't understand what "run a CLI command" means.  Could you explain to me in simple terms how to fix this?

Thanks squirrel

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

You need to use direct image URLs and one's that are not behind a CDN.

The dropbox URLs are actually web pages that contain the image so are not suitable for Shopify csv product imports.

Regards

Tom

squirrel3
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Tom, 

Thanks for the reply, I've been sent a lot of images in this format by a supplier.  How do I change them into the correct format?  There are hundreds of images like this, is there an automated method?

Thanks 

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

You can't use Dropbox for the Shopify csv import. You would need to download them all and then upload to a simple web server or storage bucket on AWS, Azure etc and access the images directly from there. Then of course shut down the server so you don't get billed for it.

Or otherwise ask supplier if they have an ftp server that you can access images from and get URLs that way.

We prefer developing integrations with suppliers directly into their platform so our users can then automate product data straight into Shopify without the issues.

Regards

Tom

ibabderrahmane
Shopify Partner
3 0 2

This response is not a solution.

Because Shopify did not upload image using api even the image hosted in server is viewable on browser