Variant Combinations

Solved
Bryce_Bunkers
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi,

I'm trying to make a product that has two options.  Option 1 is any of the 50 states.  Option 2 is any of the 50 states.

My customers should be able to choose a state in two separate dropdown forms. 

I added 50 variants where Option 1 and Option 2 are the same state.  Alabama & Alabama, Alaska & Alaska, et al.  All 50 states show up in both dropdowns. 

However, the product page has "UNAVAILABLE" for any combination that is not the same state.  How can I enable all combinations to be available?  I don't need to track inventory. 

I absolutely will not make 2500 variants, and I will not make 50 separate product pages with 50 variants each.  What I'm trying to do worked right away on Etsy.

Bryce

0 Likes
KarlOffenberger
Shopify Partner
1866 184 830

Hi Bryce,

Products can have up to 3 options and up to 100 variants. Those are the limits. You can work around this limit, sort of, by using metafields if they fit your use case.

Could you explain the use case and why you're using US states as an option? Maybe we can find a different way to achieve much the same.

Best wishes!

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack, Last Upsell post-purchase and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Bryce_Bunkers
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you for the response. 

I sell sets of Beer Stones.  I engrave designs on them for customers.  State silhouettes are one of the most popular designs.  I have a listing where users can order both stones with any state engraved.  I don't think metafields will help me.  

I just need to add 50 states to Option 1, and 50 states to Option 2, and allow users to select any combination of the two Options.  I don't know why the variants have to be tied together.  The screenshot from my original post shows the relevant page. 

0 Likes
KarlOffenberger
Shopify Partner
1866 184 830

This is an accepted solution.

That would be a good fit for custom attributes on to the product page. That way you'd have the base product "beer stone" with 2 custom attributes, each defined as 2 dropdown containing the 50 states. You can find a Shopify tutorial here or an older article here.

Liked this post? You might also like our fantastic upsell apps Candy Rack, Last Upsell post-purchase and Candy Cart or offer free gifts with Gift Box. All made with ❤️  and care by Digismoothie
0 Likes
Bryce_Bunkers
Tourist
5 0 1

Thank you for the recommendation.  I was able to add the custom attributes. 

https://store.brewmuse.com/collections/beer-stones-elevate-your-beer/products/beer-stones-set-2-oliv...

My tests seem to verify that it works.  I won't know for sure until a customer uses it. 

Bryce

stanbrid
Tourist
13 0 1

@KarlOffenberger wrote:

That would be a good fit for custom attributes on to the product page. That way you'd have the base product "beer stone" with 2 custom attributes, each defined as 2 dropdown containing the 50 states. You can find a Shopify tutorial here or an older article here.

We use Buy Buttons on an off-Shopify site. Thus, no 'product page'.  What would be the fix for the original problem; showing "Unavailable"

0 Likes
stanbrid
Tourist
13 0 1

Would appreciate any help on this still.

0 Likes
MCWeDeveloper
Tourist
10 0 1

Hi Bryce, I was wondering how is your inventory managed?, I have the same issue as you but I really need to keep track of hte invetory for each variant, we sell swuim suits (bikini) and need to know how many of each piece we hace in stock!

MCWeDeveloper_0-1623787198298.png

0 Likes