Solved

Where is the index.liquid template? Has this changed?

aaronmolnar
Tourist
3 1 0

New to Shopify and going through a 2019 Tutorial where it all starts by playing around in index.liquid - which I see in the instructor's Templates folder but not mine.

So, I figure, ok, what happens if I try to add it?  But that created index.alternate.liquid - which implies that there actually is an index.liquid somewhere that I can't see?

Did something change since 2019?  What am I missing here?

Accepted Solution (1)

aaronmolnar
Tourist
3 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Ok, so I guess this is theme specific.  I was assuming it was fundamental to all themes.  I downloaded the instructors starter theme and I see the index.liquid file like he has.

I'm still missing something about how this is structured but I will probably pick it up as I go.

View solution in original post

Replies 3 (3)

SimonD
Shopify Partner
159 11 21

Maybe you mean theme.liquid or index.json file.

banned
aaronmolnar
Tourist
3 1 0

Thanks for responding.

Here is the tutorial I'm talking about....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBtwd2OfZsI

If you just jump to around 8:05 you can see that he is using index.liquid to create output that shows up in the theme.liquid "content_for_layout" area.  I have to think something has changed since this with how this is wired up.  What goes into "content_for_layout" by default?

aaronmolnar
Tourist
3 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Ok, so I guess this is theme specific.  I was assuming it was fundamental to all themes.  I downloaded the instructors starter theme and I see the index.liquid file like he has.

I'm still missing something about how this is structured but I will probably pick it up as I go.