Why Abandoned Cart Emails Empty?

Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

I have to manually resend the abandoned cart emails due to a business decision. However, the preview shows an empty content, where the actual email does contain

the message body, can I ask why and how to fix it? 

Thanks

Preview email screen shot

shopify_error2.png

Abandoned cart email template preview screen shot

email_abanbdoned_q.png

Replies 14 (14)

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 462

You need to edit the email template.

To edit the Abandon Cart email template go to:
Go to Settings--> Notifications---> Abandoned Checkout

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).
Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

Can you tell me how please?

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
1487 336 462

To edit the abandoned cart template requires quite a bit of code manipulation, usually, for this task a web developer can help.

Nick | Ecommerce & Marketing Technology Consultant | Toronto, CANADA
- For consulting work availability, please send me a Private Message or submit a ✍️Contact Form.
- For FREE Shopify Tutorials, Subscribe to my YouTube channel (▶️ Ecommerce TV).
Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

After all just you're trying to do the sales pitch here?

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Proson,

This is quite a complex code change and difficult to share the exact changes necessary in a reply here. If you'd like further help with this, you can see the Shopify Expert directory here or reach out to @Nick_Marketing directly to see if he can help too. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

Well can you show me the documentation and I can take a look on how to fix it. Though I'm not quite a web developer but I've been coding PHP, html and stuffs for more than 10 years. 

And don't forget Shopify is a paid platform already and it is not like woocommerce and wordpress where I can easily figure out the code and add functionalities I like. 

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Proson,

I am not proficient with coding by any means, so in terms of an exact solution I wouldn't be too much help. Shopify does however have a help guide for editing and customizing email notifications such as abandoned carts which might be a good place to start for you on this. You can read it here

If you do feel you need help and aren't completely comfortable adjusting the code in your store, it could be worth reaching out to a Shopify Expert for a small task job to help you. 

Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

Just added a piece of code

{{ custom_message }} 

and everything is fixed. 

Thanks for guidance. 

Bjorn_Forsberg_
Shopify Partner
303 4 70

Hey @Nick ,

Shopify Partner/App Developer here. This actually looks to be an issue with the Shopify admin, where when you want to manually resend a Abandoned checkout email to a customer, it picks up the "Contact customer" email notification template, instead of the "Abandoned checkout" email notification template.

We've seen this on another merchant store as well, also when using the default Shopify email notification templates (unedited). For some reason it's now picking the wrong template, when going through the manual flow.

Just wanted to give a heads up!

Thanks,
Bjorn Forsberg

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Bjorn_Forsberg_,

Thanks for noticing that and flagging it. Could you flag this bug by logging in here, please. It's the best and most efficient way to get this to the correct team! Once logged in, if you could flag it under under [Beta] Report an issue, that would be awesome. 

Bjorn_Forsberg_
Shopify Partner
303 4 70

Hey @Nick ,

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't allow me to report issues within the admin:

Bjorn_Forsberg__0-1634643066046.png

Thanks!

Bjorn

Bjorn Forsberg | FORSBERG+two | Award-winning Shopify Apps since 2011
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hey @Bjorn_Forsberg_,

Yep, you can report it through the Report an issue with our APIs and if that's not the right place then they will send it to the correct team. But this is the best place to let the relevant teams aware of issues like this. Thank you again! 

Ethan_g
Shopify Partner
3 0 1

Hi @Bjorn_Forsberg_  and @Proson 

I have the exact same problem. I use headless commerce with Shopify, so emails don't get sent automatically and when trying to send manually the email is "empty", i.e. Shopify picks up the wrong template like @Bjorn_Forsberg_  described.

Did you manage to find a fix for this issue?

Proson
Tourist
8 0 1

I am now using Omnisend app to manage all emails, including abandoned cart. It works perfectly. 

And they have features like split-testing, leads filitering or tagging. It makes email marketing easily done. 

Hopes that help.