Why are UTM Parameters showing in my order notes all of a sudden?

iambrianclark
Excursionist
17 2 7

Just lately, orders have been including UTM parameters from whatever source they're coming from in the Additional Details section.

It's intermittent, not all orders (and in fact, pretty few overall) and I can't find any correlation as to why those specific orders are adding the notes. There are some new customers, some existing, some subscription, some one-time, all areas, times, etc. There are multiple sources, email marketing, paid ads, organic social, so it's not from a specific source either.

Any ideas on what else I can check to figure out what's causing this?

Thanks for any help!

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 11.20.29 AM.png

0 Likes
AmyWilders
2 0 1

Any update on what was causing this? It has just started happening in our store last week to some but not all orders.

0 Likes
David_Weru
Trailblazer
154 15 36

Hello @iambrianclark and @AmyWilders 

As a developer, here is where I would start 

https://shopify.dev/api/admin/graphql/reference/discounts-and-marketing/utminput

There must be some condition being met or a change in the api which led to this behavior.

I would also contact shopify support directly as they can safely look closer at your store's details.

iambrianclark
Excursionist
17 2 7

I've been in contact with Shopify support, and they're pretty insistent that it's an app causing the behavior, so I'm currently reaching out to a multitude of app devs who are telling me it's someone else as well.

Shopify themselves think it's caused by apps sourced in the UTM parameters (Klaviyo, etc), but reaching out to those devs so far have been a dead end.

Did you recently install any new apps, @AmyWilders? I wonder if we can figure out some correlation. I've seen UTMs show up in the additional_details field on Recharge, Online Store checkout, and Ultimate Special Offers orders, so it appears there's no specific cause in how the customers check out. I've also found no specific correlation in where the customers have been sourced other than Google Ads, Klaviyo, and Revenuehunt (which is from an app we have called Product Recommendation Quiz).

Do you have any similar conditions?

0 Likes
iambrianclark
Excursionist
17 2 7

@AmyWilders also, which theme are you using? We're on Empire, and I've been told it could be the theme that's responsible as well.

0 Likes
David_Weru
Trailblazer
154 15 36

This is empire's theme support link.

I'll keep researching this issue. If I find a solution, I'll post it.

https://support.pixelunion.net/hc/en-us/articles/360053274653-Submitting-support-requests-for-Pixel-...

0 Likes
AmyWilders
2 0 1

We use Responsive as our theme, we noticed they started around the same time as we updated to the most recent version of responsive so it must have mixed up some code but we can't locate exactly where. In terms of source they appear to all be from Klayvio so far but will keep an eye out.

iambrianclark
Excursionist
17 2 7

A small update, it appears the parameters themselves are being stored by Recharge via the shopify_cookie property here:

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 10.53.24 AM.png

It also appears that those UTM parameters are being added to the cart attributes via this function:

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.20.53 AM.png

My theory is that if we comment out those references it should stop Recharge from adding utm parameters to the order details, but I sent a note to recharge to ask, just in case it'll break something else I'm not aware of.

0 Likes