FROM CACHE - de_header

Country Selector that affects the TVA (end prices)

theemmashop
Besucher
1 0 0

Hello, 

I have seen examples where people create a drop down menu with different countries to change the currency on the page. 

I only sell in the EU so I don't need the currency to change. The business is registered in Luxemburg but I also have a TVA for Belgium.
When you get to the checkout and choose Belgium all the prices of the chosen products change (higher TVA than Luxemburg). I do want the prices to change, but I would like a drop down menu on the main page where the selected country influences the price and I dont want this change in price to only change in the check out.

Idealy there would be a banner when you enter the page, that already suggests a country based on your IP adress to you. Something like shown in the picture: 

theemmashop_0-1616412437769.png

Can anybody help me ?

Thank you, 

Elena

3 ANTWORTEN 3

Gabe
Shopify Staff
16254 2566 3830

Hi Elena, and welcome to German community! @theemmashop 

I would be glad to help you out with your question too and I get what you mean in that the price changes only in the checkout and not on the homepage, like for example, with a currency or country selector. This is not a great customer experience, I give you that! If you paste in your Shop URL here then I can take a look as well in order to see what tailored solutions we can find for your store. And because you sell cross-border within the EU (same Euro currency) you would like the prices to change based on the VAT being included or not, is that correct?

However, the issue is that when selling cross-border, Shopify, together with our Geolocation App changes the prices based on the IP Address location of the user and their currency, not their VAT rates. And our Shopify Payments gateway will only change the price value in the checkout based on the tax region. Are you currently using our Geolocation App together with Shopify Payments?

The major point here is that when someone from a country, like Belgium, is browsing your products you want the system to either automatically change the product prices based on the customers VAT location before they are even making it to checkout, or based on a country selector drop-down. Here is where the limitation is. Prices will be equally displayed for everyone from a VAT perspective because our system technically does not know what Tax Region the customer is located in until they add in their address. Once this has been done the system will know that the merchant is in Belgium or Luxembourg. 

Even an app like Multi-country Pricing may only set this according to currency but not tax region, but please feel free to test this app. I have not tested it but, you never know! We might be lucky!

Gabe | Social Care @ Shopify
 - War meine Antwort hilfreich? Klicke Like um es mich wissen zu lassen! 
 - Wurde deine Frage beantwortet? Markiere es als Akzeptierte Lösung 
 - Um mehr zu erfahren, besuche das Shopify Help Center oder den Shopify Blog

ICHMIRMICH
Shopify Expert
261 48 129

Hey @theemmashop 

I am in a similar situation currently in a project and have identified https://www.gymshark.com/ as a best practice example for me.

You need to have VAT ID's for every country in the EU you are selling to.  There is an initial check-up where the user is coming from. Based on this information the currency and/or pricing changes in the storefront. For example, a customer from Switzerland will see Switzerland as the only choice within the checkout. Tax-free. In CHF.

The international pricing and tax issue was finally implemented a few days ago as you can see in the Shopify changelog (search for "Control pricing by region with international pricing")
https://changelog.shopify.com/ 

Gabe
Shopify Staff
16254 2566 3830

@ICHMIRMICH 

Some great tips there André! Thanks a bunch!

Gabe | Social Care @ Shopify
 - War meine Antwort hilfreich? Klicke Like um es mich wissen zu lassen! 
 - Wurde deine Frage beantwortet? Markiere es als Akzeptierte Lösung 
 - Um mehr zu erfahren, besuche das Shopify Help Center oder den Shopify Blog