Join us for an upcoming Shopify Partner webinar on February 27, 2024. Discover the latest Checkout Extensibility features, and deep dive on improvements to Shopify Functions and Web Pixels. Register now for either the 10am EST or 2pm EST sessions.

checkouts/delete webhook

Graham_Thomas
Shopify Partner
24 0 1

Hey all,

I'm building an app that's using the Checkout Webhook. https://help.shopify.com/api/reference/webhook

Capturing the create and update Checkout events hasn't been an issue, but I'm now trying to capture the delete event, and have been unable to trigger it from a store.

What are the conditions/user actions that cause the Checkout delete event to be triggered?

Thanks for any help,

Graham

Secondlayer - Ask your shoppers questions in real-time right from the page they're on. Talking to your shoppers will let you know exactly why they've abandoned a cart, or browsed but not bought.
Replies 5 (5)

Jordan
Shopify Staff
300 3 82

Hey Graham,

Good question. At this moment, merchants don't have the ability to delete a checkout, but we're looking to open up that functionality in the not-so-distant future. As an app developer, it's a good thing to keep in mind, but to answer your question, there is no existing user action that would trigger a checkout/delete webhook.

If you have any questions or need further clarification, don't hesitate to let me know.

Jordan L
Developer Experience
Shopify

Jordan | Developer Support @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit Shopify.dev or the Shopify Web Design and Development Blog

Jamie_D_
Shopify Staff (Retired)
533 1 92

As an addition to Jordan's note, Shopify might occassionally delete checkouts that are older than one year old.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Graham_Thomas
Shopify Partner
24 0 1

Great, thanks for the clear and definitive answer Jordan!

Secondlayer - Ask your shoppers questions in real-time right from the page they're on. Talking to your shoppers will let you know exactly why they've abandoned a cart, or browsed but not bought.

Graham_Thomas
Shopify Partner
24 0 1

@Jamie D, right, right.. that's what I was kind of thinking. Thanks for your help!

Mariam_Zaheer
Shopify Partner
17 0 1

So does this mean that eventhough the API exposess such a functionality in a real scenario it doesn't exist? 

If so why is there such a webhook if it cannot actually be used?

Thanks in advance