Sourcing Products from AliExpress

Solved
northernlad32
2 0 1

I really need help with this. I have been searching for the answer everywhere to this concern and I just need clarity.

So, I am sourcing my products from AliExpress, and there are many great items to choose from. Sometimes I select items for my store from "Top Brand" suppliers... so when I get back to my store and start writing the description it has the 'Brand Name' - some name I have never heard of and do not know what that implies. Can I display and sell that product? Will I get into trouble if I have not got permission? Who do I get permission from? 

If I chose to sell a chopping board, by 'musowood' (The brand - which has it's own website), will I get in trouble? If so then why is it available for me to sell from AliExpress? How can they sell it but not me? 

I've just got a lot of ignorance around the matter and I don't want to fail. It's difficult to find help - all the YouTube videos are misleading and they contradict each other. But Brand items are the only items that are worth selling. I can hardly mark up the price on inferior products and hope to get away with it.

Please help me understand, for peace of mind. Thank you.

Accepted Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
PreBuiltStores
Shopify Partner
254 3 21

This is an accepted solution.

You get into trouble if you have not got permission from the supplier to use their name and brand.

If you chose to sell a chopping board, by 'musowood' (The brand - which has it's own website) then you will need to contact musowood for the permission.

Most suppliers on AliExpress allows to use their name and pictures.

Unable to find a reliable dropshipping supplier for your shopify store?

We are working with over 4,000 Dropshipping suppliers if you are looking specifically for products from the US, Australia and Europe.

Get free consultation here: Reliable dropshipping supplier for your shopify store - Dropship Corporation

Pre-Built Shopify Stores Dropshipcorporation.com We are Shopify Partner
Hit Like If My Reply Helpful
Click Accept as Solution If My Reply Answered Your Question.

View solution in original post

Replies 7 (7)
ShipAntdotcom
Pathfinder
168 6 15

You can dropship from Aliexpress directly, if you worried about the permission or IP issue you can negotiate with supplier, it is okay too. But for mostly startups, just dropship directly as long as you continually order from the legit store on Aliexpress.

ShipAnt.com - Chinese dropshipping agent - reliable sourcing agent
northernlad32
2 0 1

Thank you for your reply. 

How can I be certain that a supplier is legit?

Should I contact every supplier and ask them to send me proof that they own the Intellectual Property of the brand/manufacturer they are listing?

There's a lot of shady people out there, and I don't want any part of that. I just want to start selling with the law. 

Thanks 

jer1922
Excursionist
44 0 4

You may try to hire a 3rd party inspection company to get a background check on the supplier. An inspection company called HKQCC helping many online sellers. You may contact it for help.

dropship_helps
Shopify Expert
1744 55 261

Yes, Aliexpress is recommended for beginners. 

Dropshippinghelps.com We Help Shopify Dropshippers
PreBuiltStores
Shopify Partner
254 3 21

This is an accepted solution.

You get into trouble if you have not got permission from the supplier to use their name and brand.

If you chose to sell a chopping board, by 'musowood' (The brand - which has it's own website) then you will need to contact musowood for the permission.

Most suppliers on AliExpress allows to use their name and pictures.

Unable to find a reliable dropshipping supplier for your shopify store?

We are working with over 4,000 Dropshipping suppliers if you are looking specifically for products from the US, Australia and Europe.

Get free consultation here: Reliable dropshipping supplier for your shopify store - Dropship Corporation

Pre-Built Shopify Stores Dropshipcorporation.com We are Shopify Partner
TeamSpocket
Trailblazer
155 10 24

Hi @northernlad32,

The best thing that you can do is contact the supplier directly and ask for permission to use their asset (images, videos, description) for marketing. Although Aliexpress is intended as a retail e-commerce marketplace, Dropshipping on this website has been a common practice.  A lot of suppliers are aware of this. 

You can also try a few dropshipping alternatives. Have you tried Spocket? It's a dropshipping app that allows you to import high-quality products from our suppliers around the world. We do have suppliers based in major countries like in the US, UK, Canada, etc. 

On top of this Spocket also has a Aliscraper, it's a chrome extension that you can use to easily import products from Aliexpress automatically.  

You can sign up here for a free Spocket account and browse our catalogs of products.  You can also check our success stories on some of our retailers. 

Cheers,
Spencer and the Spocket team

KyCha
2 0 0

I know your concern and we are happy that you're so careful.

In most cases, even if we don't get permission from the supplier to use their name and brand, it will not cause your loss except your customers complain to the platform that your products are not genuine. However, if you sell on Amazon which pays much attention to Intellectual property, it will damage your store and you'd better to get consent from the brand owner or not sell those kinds of products.

KeenChase, as one of the most professional China sourcing agents, we help you find right factories, get competitive prices, follow up production, ensure premium quality and deliver products to the door.