We migrated from WooCommerce to Shopify last May. At the time of the migration, we could not activate iDeal | Wero through Shopify Payments because there are certain requirments we could not comply to seeing the shop just started within Shopify. After a couple of months, we comply to all requirements to be eligable for activating iDeal | Wero. Or so I thought…
The store has been active for more than 90 days. We processed more than 100 orders that were paid through Shopify Payments (with creditcard, etc.). I’ve contacted Shopify Support three times in the last couple weeks. They all say the same: the shop meets all the requirements and you will receive an e-mail when iDeal | Wero can be activated. But they can’t say how long it will take. And in the meantime we’re waiting, and waiting…
My client is getting extremely frustrated. They want to know when they are able to activate the payment method, because this saves them 1% commission for currently using a third party payment method (Mollie).
Does someone have any advice how this can be solved? Like I said, we tried contacting Shopify Support. But the staff there can’t help you any further, which is a huge frustration.
Hi @jorisstormachtig Welcome To Shopify Community So This matches what’s documented, eligibility (90+ days active, 100+ Shopify Payments orders, EUR currency, Netherlands set up as an active market) doesn’t trigger activation the moment you meet it. Shopify runs automatic eligibility reviews on a recurring schedule, not continuously, so meeting the criteria just means you’re in the queue for the next review cycle, not that activation happens immediately after.
That said, weeks of waiting after confirmed eligibility with no timeline is longer than the “should be fairly quick once eligible” pattern most merchants report. A couple things worth double-checking on your end: confirm Netherlands is specifically set up as an active market (not just that you accept EUR generally, that’s a separate requirement from currency), since a market misconfiguration can sometimes make a store look “eligible” on paper while blocking the automatic activation trigger.
Beyond that, since Support keeps giving the same scripted answer, it’s worth explicitly asking them (in writing, so it’s on record) to escalate to the Shopify Payments team specifically rather than general support, since local payment method activation issues are handled by a different internal team, and general support reps often can’t do more than repeat the eligibility status. If that stalls too, posting the store’s situation (without sensitive details) in Shopify’s Payments-specific community section sometimes gets picked up by staff who monitor there directly.
Hey @jorisstormachtig ,
If Shopify Support has already confirmed that the store meets all the requirements, it sounds like the remaining step is on Shopify’s side rather than something that needs to be changed in the store.
I’d keep the Mollie setup for now so the client can continue accepting iDEAL payments, and keep the existing support case or escalation open rather than starting over each time. I’d also ask Shopify to confirm in writing that the store is fully eligible and that there are no remaining actions required from your side.
The frustrating part is definitely the lack of a clear timeline. If there’s no additional requirement to complete, I’d keep following up on the same case and specifically ask for the status of the iDEAL | Wero activation rather than asking about eligibility again.
Thank You!
Hi, @jorisstormachtig
My suggestion would be to ask Shopify support to escalate the request to the payments/shopify payments specialist team rather than relying only on general support. If possible, also ask for a ticket/case number and written confirmation that there are no outstanding requirements from your side.
In the meantime, I would recommend continuing with the payment gateway you are currently using. These kinds of payment activation/review processes can sometimes take time, and unfortunately there may not be a fixed timeline. The waiting can definitely be frustrating, but keeping the current payment method active ensures there is no disruption to customers or orders while Shopify completes the process.
Thank you.
Thanks for your reply, Mustafa! Shopify Support has already escalated the issue to the Shopify Payments team, but unfortunately we’ve now been waiting for more than a week without any update or timeline.
I double checked the market settings, that should be fine (as in, the Netherlands is active). The main issue for us is the cost of waiting: because we currently have to use Mollie for iDEAL payments, Shopify charges an additional 1% transaction fee. With an average order value of around €300, that adds up quickly.
That’s why we’re really hoping Shopify can resolve this as soon as possible.
Thanks for your reply! We’re indeed keeping Mollie active, as iDEAL is essential for our Dutch customers.
Shopify Support has already confirmed that we meet the requirements and the issue has been escalated internally. Unfortunately, we’ve now been waiting for more than a week without any update.
The biggest frustration is the additional 1% transaction fee Shopify charges us while using Mollie. With an average order value of around €300, this becomes quite expensive, so we really want to get iDEAL through Shopify Payments activated as soon as possible.
Thanks for the suggestion! Shopify Support has already escalated the case to the Shopify Payments team, so unfortunately we’re already at that stage. We’ve now been waiting for more than a week without any further update or indication of how long this will take.
We’re continuing to use Mollie in the meantime, but that means Shopify charges us an additional 1% transaction fee. With an average order value of around €300, that’s a significant extra cost for every order.
That’s why we’re hoping to find a way to speed up the activation process rather than simply waiting indefinitely.
Yeah, with an average order value of around €300, that extra 1% can definitely add up quickly. Hopefully the internal escalation gets some movement soon, especially since Shopify has already confirmed that you meet the requirements. It would be frustrating to have everything on your side completed and still have to wait without a clear timeline.