Maximum length is 255 characters per address line in Shopify checkout, confirmed by the Checkout team. To avoid exceeding a single-line limit in external systems, you can disable the second address line in Settings > Checkout.
A separate issue reports a 23-character address limit on a site. Staff note checkout.liquid (the checkout template) is locked for non–Shopify Plus merchants, so character limits shouldn’t be changeable on standard plans. Shopify Plus is the enterprise tier that allows deeper checkout customization.
Action items:
If needed, disable the second address line (Settings > Checkout).
For the 23-character issue, provide screenshots, exact error message, duration of the problem, recent theme/app changes, and the store URL to reproduce and troubleshoot.
Status:
Primary question (max length) resolved with a clear limit: 255 per line.
Secondary issue (23-character cap) remains open pending more information; no resolution yet.
We’ve etl process to pull the data from Shopify and synced to our own DB. The maximum length of customer address in our DB is set to 255 chars.
I try to find out the maximum length of customer address stored in Shopify app/db, but I cannot find any documentation/Q&A here. Can any one give me the clue?
Thank you for joining the community forums and sharing your question here. I was able to connect with our Checkout team and they confirmed that each address line supports up to 255 characters. If you want to ensure that your character limit is met I would recommend disabling the second checkout line to ensure that customers can’t max out the character limit.
You can find this option in your store admin under Settings > Checkout.
Please let me know if you have any other questions about your checkout I can assist with.
I have a similar issue but in this case the maximum length of customer address in our site was set to 23 chars and I need to set limit to a different length. Where can I change that?
Thanks for sharing your issue here with us! I’m not sure how your checkout character limit was changed as the checkout.liquid is locked for all merchants who are not on the PLUS platform. Are you able to recreate this issue?
If yes, can you please share some screenshots of what you are seeing, the error message, how long this has been affecting your store and any theme code changes or apps you’ve recently installed. If I could also have your store URL so I can test this myself, please. Generally speaking the Shopify checkout experience is exactly the same for all merchants on our standard plans and can’t be changed or altered. With some more information I can hopefully help you troubleshoot this.