Solved

Charging sales tax in California

ScottM11
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi,

I'm soon going to launch my store and want to make sure I'm doing the right thing re: sales tax.

I'm an artist living in California and I'm going to sell original designs that are printed on merchandise through a dropshipping company. I don't have a physical store or any employees. Does simply living in California qualify as having a "nexus," so I need to charge CA customers sales tax?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solution (1)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ScottM11.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

I understand you're looking to see if your business qualifies for nexus tax in California. It's important to note that we aren't able to provide this level of tax advice; however, we do have some information that you can reference for US taxes and state taxes - California. While it doesn't look like you have nexus yet, as you're just starting out and your revenue has not exceeded $500,000. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you speak with a local tax advisor, so that you have the most accurate information for moving forward with your business.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @ScottM11.

Thank you for reaching out and posting this question!

I understand you're looking to see if your business qualifies for nexus tax in California. It's important to note that we aren't able to provide this level of tax advice; however, we do have some information that you can reference for US taxes and state taxes - California. While it doesn't look like you have nexus yet, as you're just starting out and your revenue has not exceeded $500,000. Nevertheless, it is recommended that you speak with a local tax advisor, so that you have the most accurate information for moving forward with your business.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ScottM11
Visitor
2 0 2

Thanks, Elias! Appreciate the help