Re: Canadian Ltd. company obtaining an EIN

How does a Canadian Ltd. company obtain an EIN?

9 0 1


I went through blogs and articles about the SS-4 form and couldn't proceed because I wasn't clear with questions. Here are the questions confusing me in SS-4.

6) County and state where principal business is located

should I answer Ontario, Canada? It is where my LTD is registered

Q8a) Is this application for a limited liability company (LLC) (or a foreign equivalent)?

should I answer this yes? because my business is a limited liability company? the blogs I saw said answer 'no' which confuses me more.

Q9a) Type of entity.

Should I check on Corporation? or Other(Foreign-owned). 


Replies 3 (3)

Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Hi, @ahab,

Hank here from Shopify.

While I would not be able to provide you with specific answers to tax-related questions, I will try to point you in the best direction, unless a fellow member of the Community forums can assist based on their own experiences.

I found this guide on instructions for form SS-4 from the IRS website that may offer some advice on those specific questions, but relating to your subject, is it a case you need to obtain an EIN, or is it to update it within your Shopify store?

If needing to obtain an EIN, you can reach out to the IRS to obtain one but I also have more information for you here. Or if you need to update this, although you would be presented with a banner within the admin asking you to update your EIN. If you need to update or obtain your EIN, we would need to access your account, and while we’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit the Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request. Once you search for a document to assist, you will see the option to continue to get support below.

I noticed you mentioned you are located in Canada, so the IRS may not be the route to go, so if you are still left looking for assistance with the form, I would recommend reaching out to a local tax expert to give you the best information. Hopefully, someone with their own experience in the community will come across this and be able to add some value to you here, but if not, the tax expert would be the recommended route.

All the best,


Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

7 0 0

If you're outside the U.S. you can't get an EIN online. You can mail or fax the Form SS-4.  You can also call the IRS directly to get your EIN. 

9 0 1

hi @Hank and @gethelptax 

I found out that Canada has a treaty with the USA and we just need to fill out two forms W8BEN-E and W-8ECI form.

Thanks for your replies.