Tax is being Removed when Customer is added

Solved
shellyscott
Tourist
6 0 1

Can you detail how you turned on tax for all areas ?? I am having this same problem. It was on there when I sent the invoice, but then when they paid it, it didn't charge them tax..... hum.... can you help.

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3976 385 798

Hi @shellyscott,

Depending on where you're based it is a little bit different. Shopify has a guide for how to set up taxes for all regions here. Could the order have come from a different country or area where tax is different by any chance? 

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
DeliaDao
1 0 0

I saw this was an issue from 2019 but I'm having this exact issue today when trying to bill a customer for a custom item I made for them. 

My situation is exactly the same:  when I start the order taxes appear to be added, but once I add the customer information on the right then the tax doesn't get applied and when I click on the "tax" line it pops open to give me the option, but it won't let me apply.  I'm not shipping this item to them - I will be hand delivering it.  When my orders come in for me through my Shopify online store theScreen Shot 2021-03-18 at 9.54.24 AM.png tax is being collected properly so I know I have the tax set up for that correctly.  I live in Texas and I am selling this to a Texas customer.  Very frustrated. Any solution in 2021 for me to see how to do this step by step?

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3976 385 798

Hi @DeliaDao,

This is strange for sure. Without taking a closer look at the tax settings of your store it's very difficult to figure out why this might be happening. This is something which you would need to reach out to our support team about who can assign it to the right team to look into. We’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and log in to your account to create a support request. Once you are talking to a support advisor and verified your account they can assist you with this. 

It could also be worth double-checking and going over your tax settings as per the help guides here too to make sure everything is correct!

0 Likes
miragemetals
1 0 0

I am having this issue as well. It does not seem to be setting-related. Unless I enter a specific address or zip code, it will not charge taxes on draft orders. This is problematic when sending customers invoices for products that will not be shipped (will be picked up or delivered). Even if I add the city to the customer's account, it seems to need at least a zip code.

0 Likes
Nick
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3976 385 798

Hi @miragemetals,

It's very difficult to find out why this might be happening without taking a closer look at the settings in your admin. It could be a multitude of reasons as to why it could be happening. This is something we'd need to access your account in order to resolve. We’re not able to provide account-specific support via the Shopify Community at this time, we’d be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, email, or callback. Please visit our support team here and log in to your account to create a support request.

0 Likes
giugiuskincare
1 0 0

same thing is happening to me. Taxes are being removed when adding the client to my draft orders 

tsk

0 Likes
WarfelDesignCo
1 0 0

@sparklewcupsy wrote:

I was able to figure it out. I had my local tax turned on, but anyone outside of the area wasn't being taxed. I figured out how to add a tax to all areas. I think I had it set to automatic tax which wasn't working for my particular situation. 

How do I turn off local tax? I'm having the same issues. I can't figure it out.

0 Likes