Why aren't taxes charged on my received orders?

Britney20
5 0 0

I was wondering why taxes are not being charged on the orders I’m receiving?

I have a sales tax ID already.

Replies 6 (6)

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

Hi there @Britney20!

Thanks for reaching out for more info here in the Shopify Community.

If you can share some info with me here I can check for any relevant support we can share here.

Could you confirm in which country your store is based, so we can check to see if we have guides specific to there to help out?

We've got general steps here on our help site for setting up your taxes you can check out if you haven't already. 

Have a look around there first, then let me know what you've been able to set up there so far, and where in the world your store is based so we can work on this further together!

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Britney20
5 0 0

My store is based in the United States. 

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

Hi again @Britney20!

Thanks for getting back to me here and for confirming that your store is based in the USA.

We've got specific info on how Shopify handles taxes for selling in the USA here that you can check out.

There you can find info on determining where you are liable to pay taxes, as well as how to set up your US tax settings in Shopify.

If you're not sure about what taxes you should be paying, we would advise you to consult a qualified taxation expert in your jurisdiction, as we are unable to provide this kind of advice here in Shopify.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you're selling and who you're looking to sell to?

Would this be your first time setting up a store using Shopify or selling anywhere at all?

Britney20
5 0 0

Yes! I sell dessert themed candles and wax melts. I sell to anyone in the United States. This is my first time using Shopify, I’ve had it for about 2 months now. I switched from big cartel to Shopify. 

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

Hi again @Britney20!

Apologies, as I had missed your original reply here myself.

We do have some good info here on our blog site on selling candles online, though you mentioned you had been in this line of business already for some time.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you're working on currently in terms of your store or Shopify specifically?

Britney20
5 0 0

Hello??