Can anyone use GTM custom pixel with Google Consent Mode v2?

Dabrowka
Tourist
11 0 1

Is anyone of you using GTM custom pixel and managed to implement a Cookie Banner that's compatible with Google Consent Mode v2? I've tried coockiebot, but no luck. 

Replies 7 (7)

Taimoor99
Shopify Partner
2 0 1

Hi @Dabrowka facing the same issue. I have tried few other cookie apps but same problem will update if i find a solution

Dabrowka
Tourist
11 0 1

Hey Robiulawoalraju 🙂

the screenshots you sent can't come from a GTM custom pixel because the preview doesn't work with this kind of GTM integration. The cookie banner does not apper after creating and publishing tag with coockiebot ID. 

Dabrowka_0-1710156495375.png

analytic_wlfdn
Shopify Partner
5 0 4

I think you'll need to place the consent system in the theme itself. Have the pixel read an associated cookie from the parent page for your "default" Google Consent, and then set up a custom event for whenever the consent system updates - having the pixel listen for that custom event for the "update" Google Consent.

flo3393
Excursionist
31 2 5

Hi!

did you found a solution? Trying as well to find one..

burkia
Tourist
4 0 1

We have the same problem, we used to set default and update commands trough Simo Ahava's consent mode v2 tag in GTM. The tag is not working correctly anymore, which requires a page load for it to send the update commands correctly, even if the cookies are correctly placed and the trigger is set to fire update command after users accepts cookies.

We're currently looking into switching the implementation to the theme as well, meaning that default will be sent from the Custom Pixel and update command will be sent in each page after cookie choices are there (or users' accept the cookies in that page)  I'll update here if that works. 

flo3393
Excursionist
31 2 5

We are now using the solution from Elevar as App. Works fine since one week. Consent Mode v2 is fully used there. Setup was very easy done 🙂

burkia
Tourist
4 0 1

We made the decision to not go with that initially before we were switching to Checkout Extensibility. Now I regret not moving with that option, would make our lives way easier for sure. If nothing works, most likely will switch to Elevar as well.