Google Analytics Enhanced Ecommerce tracking

Nate_Racklyeft
1 0 2

We are migrating from traditional e-commerce tracking on GA to the new "Enhanced Ecommerce" tracking.
Google's documentation (https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/enhanced-ecommerce#migratio...) states that "The Enhanced Ecommerce plug-in should not be used alongside the Ecommerce (ecommerce.js) plug-in for the same property."
According to http://docs.shopify.com/manual/settings/general/google-analytics#ecommerce-tracking, the standard Ecommerce calls are made automatically during checkout. 

To fulfill the requirements, we'd like to disable those automatic calls made by the shopify platform. Has anybody been able to do this?

Replies 83 (83)
Mark_Paigen
Excursionist
18 0 4

Floowing and frustrated.

Philipo_Del_Tom
Excursionist
12 0 5

Still no resolution for us.

Francois2
2 0 0

Hi, would also like to add that "remove from cart" events are not sent to Google Analytics.  The "add to cart" event is, but not the remove action.  This is impacting product performance analysis.

Francois2
2 0 0

Hi, is the remove from cart function tracked on Shopify ?  Is that a documented function that we can implement ?  The "add to cart" is tracked but we're not seeing any "remove from cart" events being sent from our site.

Brian_Moore
Tourist
3 0 4

After reading the blog post on Google Analytics site about the Shopify integration for Enhanced Ecommerce, I was confident this would be a smooth implementation for my client.

Now, after reading many threads, it's clear the out-of-the-box integration for Enhanced Ecommerce was half-baked at best as it doesn't capture data using the methods outlined in Google's developer docs.  A few examples:

Product Impressions:

Not measured at the product level, only list (collection level) via custom event:

ga('send', 'event', 'Collection: list name', 'Viewed Product Category');

should be:

ga('ec:addImpression', {
  'id': 'P12345',
  'name': 'Android Warhol T-Shirt',
  'category': 'Apparel/T-Shirts',
  'brand': 'Google',
  'variant': 'black',
  'list': 'Search Results',
  'position': 1
});
ga('send', 'pageview');

Product Clicks, Views & Adds to Cart

Similarly, we see generic custom events for action data related to products:

ga('send', 'event', 'Collection Title', 'Viewed Product');
ga('send', 'event', 'Collection Title', 'Added Product');

Where we should see various methods for each specific interaction:

function onProductClick() {
  ga('ec:addProduct', {
    'category': 'Apparel',
    'variant': 'black',
    'position': 1
  });
  ga('ec:setAction', 'click', {list: 'Search Results'});

// Product Detail Views
  'category': 'Apparel',
  'variant': 'black'
});
ga('ec:setAction', 'detail');
ga('send', 'pageview'); 

// Product Adds or Removes from cart
function addToCart(product) {
    'id': product.id,
    'name': product.name,
    'category': product.category,
    'brand': product.brand,
    'variant': product.variant,
    'price': product.price,
    'quantity': product.qty
  });
  ga('ec:setAction', 'add');
  ga('send', 'event', 'UX', 'click', 'add to cart');     // Send data using an event.
}

This is actually fairly straightforward given the simplicity of the liquid language and template files / snippets and assets. However, when I attempt to code these proper methods into my template, I get errors because the default integration with Google Analytics is not straightforward. Yet Shopify has no resources to explain their integration.

This is proving tremendously difficult and an issue that has been well-known and documented in this thread for over 18 months now. You have thousands of paying customers who rely on transparent reporting.

When can we expect Shopify to expand their Enhanced Ecommerce integration or, at the very least, clarify their integration and allow lone store owners to develop their own customizations.

Philipo_Del_Tom
Excursionist
12 0 5

They will probably try and sell us something to fix this in the future...

Czarto
Shopify Partner
70 2 23

Resurecting an old thread, but make sure you have the following domains in your Referra exclusion list (Located in the Google Analytics Admin > Property > Property Settings > Referral Exclusion List):

• checkout.shopify.com
  • paypal.com
  • your domain name

Hope this helps resolve the issue!

Czarto
Shopify Partner
70 2 23

If anyone is having issues with their Google Analytics Ecommerce Product Perfromance reports, due to the product title containing variant information, here is how to resolve the issue:

https://business.czarto.com/2016/07/08/shopify-fix-your-google-analytics-product-performance-reports...

In a nutshell:

• Export your product data from shopify
  • Import into Google Analytics using custom data import

Best,

Alex

renee10
5 0 0
Ferry
1 0 0

Hi @Jordan! What's the status on your research here? We just got started with a new Shopify setup and I'm wrapping my head around this topic now also... My core question is basically what events are already implemented via the in-built Shopify Universal GA integration, and which are not. Support has been poor on quality responses to date, so what I've done is using the tag manager browser extension to trace actions along my page. I can see that there are events for add to cart & view of product detail page, but remove from cart, newsletter signup, account registration etc... don't seem to fire a specific event. I basically just want to make sure I know what events are already implemented, so that I don't double count when implementing additional events (e.g. via tag manager). Thanks so updating this thread with the status quo!