How does retargeting ads across multiple social media platforms work?

Lifegetseasy
Tourist
28 0 1

Hey all, I am wanting to do some marketing. There is this technique that companies use once someone visits your site you leave to go else where (Facebook) ads are then ran to that same person across multiple social media pages, twitter IG tiktok and more. Facebook and tiktok i would like to run Retargeting ads on there to people who visit the site. I currently have facebook and tiktok and google pixels active right now, Do i need to combine them in any way or how does the connecting all ads to the same person across multiple platforms work?

Replies 3 (3)
Lifegetseasy
Tourist
28 0 1

So if a viewer visits my website through google shopping ads, leaves the website and then goes to Facebook/Tiktok, is it possible for my ad to target them automatically since they have already visited the website? Will my Facebook pixel have any information based off of a google merchant ad website visit.

glenhuffsocial
Visitor
2 0 0

Each social media ad platform has its own tracking system. Each pixel/tag is separate. They will all record their own data. You simply have to have each tag present on every page. There's no combining them all into one tag or platform. You have to make use of each ad platform. 

To follow a person that clicked on a Google Ad, you simply need the Facebook Pixel present on the landing page the Google Ad sent them to. Then create an audience on Facebook that targets IP addresses that triggered a page_view on the Pixel. To follow that same person on Google/YouTube you need to make sure you have the proper Google Tag on that landing page... and this goes for any other platform you plan to retarget. You'll have to have the custom code for each site present in the header and create Custom Audiences within the ad platforms.

Social Media Marketing Strategist
https://www.glenhuff.com
Lifegetseasy
Tourist
28 0 1

Right now on my facebook pixel, I do have custom audiences set where anyone visits the website or any page, Facebook is tracking that. Now from my understanding, I was under the impression that it can only be tracked if someone clicked a facebook ad, Now it sounds like if someone clicks a google shopping ad or youtube, Facebook can track that as well and it will automatically be added to my facebook retargeting group correct? I have the meta pixel and google tag pixel added in my theme.liquid file so the tags should be tracking.

Here is a example of my custom audience on facebook 

Lifegetseasy_0-1672163607268.png