FROM CACHE - en_header

Major increase of conversions from direct traffic after use of Shopify Payments

SanderVelden
Tourist
17 0 2

Before I used Mollie as my payment provider, but because of the extra transaction fees and about 30 percent missing conversions I changed to Shopify Payments.

Now I have about 95% accuracy for conversion vs real orders in Shopify so that goes well. But now the conversions from direct traffic increased from 5 to 50 percent. And it's caused by the payment process since using Shopify Payments. A lot of conversion are now with a landing page that starts with /checkout/processing/ (see screenshot) and a total duration of the visit between a few seconds and one minute. So in the payment process the real source of the visitor got lost because Google Analytics sees this as direct traffic.

I already had a lot of contact with support, but in the end they couldn't help me. Anyone that had this problem too or a great idea to fix it?

Screenshot 2021-03-16 at 20.39.44.png

Replies 26 (26)
Roelvdk
2 0 0
ConversionToGo
4 0 0

Hey guys, did anyone ever fix that or found a solution for it? 

Still having the same issue here. 

SanderVelden
Tourist
17 0 2

No, I think it's getting worse.

Shopify says the acknowledged and addressed the issue, but it's already for more than 6 months 'under investigation' since it's not an easy fix. So for my personally it feels they don't really prioritize it. This feels strange for me, but  I kinda gave up keep asking for statuses. The reply is always the same (it's still in progress at the development team).

MarTech-Matt
2 0 0

This is probably because of Cookie-Blocking GDPR Apps.

These Shopify Apps block tracking in your shop, but not the nativ checkout tracking.

If users don't optin to your tracking, they still will be tracked in your checkout. That's why they are "New Users" in your checkout.

SanderVelden
Tourist
17 0 2

That sounds as something that can be the reason indeed. Did you test this before? I started a test yesterday but today I already see one order with the same problem.

So I'm curious if you tested this already. In that case I'm gonna do more research, maybe then I did something wrong with my current test.

Thanks in advance.

MarTech-Matt
2 0 0

Yes, I can confirm that this is the reason.

In one of my Shopify Plus shops where I use the GTM and Cookiebot this issue does not occur. Simply because everything is well configured (and respects consent). Tracking does not rely on the nativ GA tracking but can be controlled with the GTM according to Cookiebot's consent status.

You will still get some direct conversions in your checkout, but these should be minimal:
* Cart abandonment mails without proper UTMs

* Users from Social Ads which use the In-App Browser in e.g. Facebook but switch to Safari/Chrome during checkout (=new cookies, new user)

* misconfigured payment gateways

ConversionToGo
4 0 0

Yep. For CookieBot + GTM Tracking I don't see the issue either (doesn't really help all the Shopify Basic Shops who can't use GTM without being able to get to the checkout.liquid files though).