Moving from existing store to Shopify - SEO issues?!

Kim_Eriksen1
Pathfinder
111 0 59

Hi All,

We are moving from osCommerce to Shopify and are have a HUGE SEO discussion. We would be really happy for any input to the below issues :-)

1. SEO options in Shopify2
It seems that Shopify2 supports SEO meta fields perfectly and that the current apps became obsolete with Shopify2. Is this a correct assumption?

2. Duplicate content
Many of our items will be in several collections giving several URLs:
mystore.myshopify.com/products/productA 
mystore.myshopify.com/collections/collectionA/productA 
mystore.myshopify.com/collections/collectionB/productA
Should we worry about this regarding Google?

3. 301 Redirecting old links
Which product link should we use when redirecting old links?
mystore.myshopify.com/products/productA ?

4. 301 Redirect - using app
This app seems like the best: http://apps.shopify.com/traffic-control-bulk-redirects
Is this the best way to go?

5. Tips from you
If you have other comments or experience we would be happy to hear from you.

0 Likes
Michael_Salvo
Shopify Expert
8 0 2

Kim,

Congrats on the move over to Shopify--it's a great platform with ever-increasing SEO capabilities! I have a good deal of experience converting Magento, BigCartel, and osCommerce stores (among others) over to Shopify. Here are my answers to your questions:

1. I prefer to hardcode the meta fields using scripts in the backend but Shopify does have the tools necessary to set these even if you don't know HTML or Liquid.

2. Yes, duplicate content is a real concern with Google but the newer Shopify themes have rel=canonical code built in which solves the problem. For those old Shopify themes out there, this code snippet does the trick:

{% if template == 'product' %}{% if collection %}
<link rel="canonical" href="{{ shop.url }}{{ product.url }}" />
{% endif %}{% endif %}

PS- Speaking of dupe content, also make sure that your store's non-www version redirects to the www version (or vice versa)!

3. Yes, on the product level, use the URL with the least amount of levels from the root, which should also be the canonical (ie mystore.myshopify.com/products/productA ).

4. Shopify makes it easy to manually set up 301 redirects in the backend (Navigation tab) but an app may help if you have many pages to redirect.

5. Once you've got all the fundamentals in place I recommend registering a Google Webmaster Tools account if you don't already have one. Then you can upload your Sitemap.xml file so Google can crawl and index your new URLs faster. Best of luck and feel free to reach out to me if you have additional questions regarding Shopify conversion or need SEO help.

Michael Salvo
Shopify SEO Expert

Shopify SEO Expert http://experts.shopify.com/seo-expert
0 Likes
Tammy44
Tourist
13 0 1

SHopify is the worst place to obtain help. I am sure they are in India because the only number I found to get in touch with someone, played ugly music for ever and nobody answered the phone. I searched for chat or email at no avail. This site takes around and around when you need help. Does anyone know of a good company in USA that offers good technical support? I will be making drastic changes and the first one is to get the hell out of shopify.

0 Likes