Solved

Why aren't my Shopify blog posts indexing on Google?

DC-Before-Choc
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi guys,

We've recently started a blog because we want to improve our SEO efforts and we've realised that two of our blog posts have not indexed on Google yet. They are on Bing, but I realise that works differently. Our sitemap has been submitted to GSC and both blog URLs have had indexing requested several times.  

https://beforechocolate.com/blogs/the-before-chocolate-blog/dark-chocolate-health-benefits  - Was made on August 11th and has not been indexed.
https://beforechocolate.com/blogs/the-before-chocolate-blog/organic-september  - Was published on September 24th and has not been indexed.

I wondered if there was anything obvious as to why these aren't being indexed? I ask because our actual blog page and first blog post were indexed within a week of setting live. They are still indexed too.

Any help at all would be really appreciated!

Many thanks,

Declan

Accepted Solution (1)
Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @DC-Before-Choc,

ok. It seems to me that Google hasn't either managed to index it yet (and it will happen in the following weeks) or for some reason decided not to do so. However, I've just checked your site and the blog posts are great in my opinion (including links to other articles on site or external articles). 

I've also checked the status of the pages if there aren't redirects, but they're not. The only thing I noticed and could have impact on why Google has decided not to crawl the blog post are some errors with Privy. See the screenshot:

Snímek obrazovky 2021-10-22 v 12.05.26.png

I don't use Privy much but a piece of code might be wrongly written and therefore it's returning 404 error. So this could be reason why Google hasn't  indexed it yet – because of these errors. However, this is only my assumption.

Send me a link to your store to niki@ecommercepot.com and I'll help you out.
For more info what I do, visit my agency website ecommercepot.com or my personal website nikikozak.me.

View solution in original post

Replies 5 (5)

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

Hi @DC-Before-Choc,

It might unfortunately take up to days (and weeks) for Google to index your blog posts. What's the status of the URL? If you head over to the GSC and inspect the URL, what does it say?

I've put together steps to do when a page hasn't been indexed yet in one of my blog posts. If interested, here is the link: My Shopify pages aren’t indexed. What should I do?

For more info what I do, visit my agency website ecommercepot.com or my personal website nikikozak.me.
DC-Before-Choc
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @Niki_K 

Thanks for responding to this.

I understand that it can take some time, but one of these posts has been up months now, so that's why im puzzled. Our original blog post was up within 3-4 days.

When inspecting both pages, the notification mentions "URL is not on Google. This page is not in the index, but not because of an error. See the details below to learn why it wasn't indexed." When the URLs are then tested, they are both available to be indexed on Google. 

I've just had a gander at your blog posts and it is all stuff I have tried im afraid. I do really appreciate you passing that over though.

Cheers,

Declan

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @DC-Before-Choc,

ok. It seems to me that Google hasn't either managed to index it yet (and it will happen in the following weeks) or for some reason decided not to do so. However, I've just checked your site and the blog posts are great in my opinion (including links to other articles on site or external articles). 

I've also checked the status of the pages if there aren't redirects, but they're not. The only thing I noticed and could have impact on why Google has decided not to crawl the blog post are some errors with Privy. See the screenshot:

Snímek obrazovky 2021-10-22 v 12.05.26.png

I don't use Privy much but a piece of code might be wrongly written and therefore it's returning 404 error. So this could be reason why Google hasn't  indexed it yet – because of these errors. However, this is only my assumption.

DC-Before-Choc
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Niki,

I really appreciate you looking into this so much and your kind words about the blog.

I'll treat this as the accepted solution because we haven't tried this yet. I dont believe that Privy is even being used (im new to the site), so I will speak to the site owner about potentially deleting it.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Declan

Niki_K
Shopify Partner
447 45 124

Hi Declan,

ok! If your fix the issue with Privy and the blog posts won’t be indexed, feel free to contact me. I’ll be happy to look at it with you. Maybe, we will find a solution then.

Regards,

Niki