FROM CACHE - en_header

Starting first facebook / instagram campaigns; any advice on my strategy?

Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

Hello, first I would like to say I am brand new in this group and I can see many wonderful helpful people here as this is a true passion of mine. (Sorry for long message ahead of time)

I am planning to start to create my ad campaigns in the near future but wanted to make sure I am on the right path by doing so. Here is my plan if you have any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it. 
- plan start 2 campaigns a week with $5 per day with 3 interests included (100K-500k reach). For a total of around 3-4 days. If I get any sales conversions I am trying to break those interest audiences down individually to see which performs the best. 
- if my targeted audience is converting well I plan to scale by 10% each 3 days. So $5 to $5.5 if that has positive ROI for 3 days then go to $6.05. Etc. Once I get enough data is to change my audience from my pixel of "view content" then "add to cart" then "purchases". As I realize that is long term to acquire that data and very targeted. 
Do I just set up custom conversations in my business manager for each of those events or stick to standard events?
- after those 3-4 days if neither or those products seem to work. Pick 2 new products and interest audiences and re try.

Some questions. Do you think $5 a day is enough? Can always scale up if you get some sales? How many interests do you believe is good to start with? As well as a good idea to group them together to start my campaign? Is 3 days enough time to cut my losses if the campaign is not converting?

Lastly any recommendations on a carrsoul or simple single image ads?

Any other advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am just starting out but want to have a strategy going forward!

My website is ShopOpp.com. Feel free to DM me if you see any improvements or faults in my site. It very appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies 30 (30)
Jarrett3
Excursionist
32 0 4

My biggest advice from someone who has spent almost 1million in Facebook ad spend is 'be stupid'. Don't follow this exact structure be very adaptable and try new things!

If you are looking for more free information on digital marketing checkout my facebook page www.Facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau I have done a few million on online sales over the last few years and don't charge anything for my content. I got fed up with all of these coaches scamming you guys for $5000 for a program that "makes you money" so I decided I will post all of my knowledge for free for you guys! My back ends are all on shopify and I show all of my numbers! Hopefully this helps!

You guys are buying programs from people who haven't done anything. They don't show you thier numbers or anything all they do is rent a lambo and air bnb a house... Check out my page im just starting it up and will be posting daily if all goes well! www.facebook.com/JarrettBelliveau 

PaolaCastano
Shopify Partner
276 1 26

Hi Jake:

$5 per day is absolutely not enough, you will not gather enough information about how to target your campaigns (most of the times is A/B testing, audience testing...) and just with that daily budget is not enough to see which way to go.

In my opinion you should start with a minimum budget of $10 at least.

Free Professional Adwords Campaigns: https://apps.shopify.com/cleverppc

Luis_Morales2
Shopify Partner
62 0 12

Hey Jake,

A few tips on your approach:

1. Expand your reach - 100k-500k seems targeted but is actually quite small and will inevitably take longer for you to determine whether or not the audience is effective. Facebook has 2 billion users, so don't be afraid if you're audiences are 1 million +. The ones I work with range from 1-7 million.

2. Increase Your Budget: $5 is just not enough for you to get meaningful data out of your campaigns. Increase to $10-$15 and grow it from there.

3. Focus on traffic early on - without any data in your pixel (since you are new), conversion ads may not be the best thing to focus on early on. Work on traffic to certain posts or direct to products, generate a couple of sales that way and then switch to conversion ads later on.

If you have any questions, reach out to me at luis@luisemorales.com

Luis

rito
Shopify Partner
261 1 48

Hey Jake,

If you're looking for a cost-effective way to drive quality traffic to your store, check out the Ads app (https://apps.shopify.com/ads)

Cheers,

Ryoma

——————————————————————————————————————————————

Free Trust Seals with Reviews Generation - https://apps.shopify.com/trust

Free Conversion Checkout Timer - https://apps.shopify.com/conversion

Utilize Trust Seals with Reviews Generation to increase your sales conversions - https://apps.shopify.com/trust
John_Hawkins
Tourist
15 0 1

It depends what you sell. For Facebook to work i think it need to be a one of a kind. I stopped paying ads on FB. I sell Shoes, Sports, Camping. Hunting,  Military gear, and Flags. We spent over $5000 in 2015 and gave another try  with $3000 in 2016. With a $50 per day. To this day we have not had a single sale from a FB lead. ( A few Page likes and a lot of ad likes but nothing that counted as money) The free groups are the way to go to bring in local traffic. Online  we use Pinterest  by just pinning Free right from our website. This counts for 65% of our online sales and cost ZERO. (We havnt try the paid Pinterest ads yet but soming we are looking into) Again this is what didnt work for us. Goodluck   ad campaigns just didnt work for us.

John

Trent_English
1 0 0

$5 a day is plenty...at least for testing.  Run ads for different products or collections, test them out at $5 a day for a few days to see what kind of traction you get.  Facebook ads take time to optimize, I've wasted $1000's on new campaigns that I didnt give time to test at a lower budget before scaling.  

It looks like your dropshipping correct?

Run a test ad to your watch.  See if you can put together a profile for who would buy that watch and get some decent ad creative put together.  Test it out for $5 a day for a few days and see if you can make it convert.  If not, try a different ad or test a different product.

People above mentioning going broad with ads, thats good once you have a trained pixel.  In your case when you are first starting out, pick a narrow audience (200-500k) to season your pixel before going broader.

Hope that helps

Kevin_Simonson_
Shopify Expert
99 0 3

Hey Jake, 

Congrats on your first campaigns! Re: conversion optimized campaigns - keep in mind that Facebook recommends you have at least 15-25 conversions per adset per week - so $5 per day is likely too small to try conversion optimized. 

We've recently written a handful of blog posts that should be helpful for you as you start this journey.  

Facebook Remarketing 101: https://blog.metricdigital.com/blog/facebook-re-marketing-segmentation-101/

Some advice on avoiding common (and expensive) Google Adwords mistakes: https://blog.metricdigital.com/blog/5-ways-to-save-money-on-adwords/

We'll also be releasing a getting started on Facebook ads piece and a guide to creative on Facebook, so reach out @ https://blog.metricdigital.com/contact/ if you'd like us to share when they are ready! 

Best,

Kevin 

Kevin Simonson is the CEO of Metric Digital, a performance marketing agency in New York City that focuses on driving revenue and customers through for ecommerce business via online advertising, email and other digital marketing channels.
Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

John Hawkins - Awesome, I am also advertising on many other sales channels as well. Trying to get the most exposure as possible. Pinterest was definetly a source I am just beginning on (Just set up my business account yesterday and configured everything yesterday). 

I would love to hear any suggestions you took to start advertising with Pinterest. Such as what worked great / what didnt work? Any additional Shopify apps (I was looking at Social Autopilot)? And how you would get started with my brand new store on Pinterest?

Feel free to DM me or message me as I am very interetested to learn further. Thanks again for your reply and assist. Very much appreciated!

Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

Trent English - 

For brand new campiagns would you suggest PPE ads? I have been doing alot of reach and to really target differnet small interests with PPE ads and then convert that "data" into WC for Add to Cart or Purchase. PPE shows social proof as well on the ad.

Just curious of some other approachs as I am slowing figuring out its all about trial and error to see what works best. Or would you go straight into conversion ads (ATC or Purchases) with a reach of 200-500K with targeted interests?

I am still building out my social media pages which could use many more likes, which is why PPE is nice, but then again that will always come in time I assume!

Sales is the bottom line.

Thanks so much.

Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

Luis Morelas - Thanks for the response. When you are generating traffic what time of campaign are you running? PPE , Link Click, etc? I will certainly try bigger audiences in a few ads to see how they react vs others.

How much pixel traffic do you think is "enough" to start a lookalike audience for 1% or 2%? This is something I was looking into but as I am new I would assume it would need to be extrmemly high number of pixel data for View Content, Add to Cart, etc? Thanks

TopVid
Shopify Partner
3 0 0

Hi Jake,

You should definitely be aware of the biggest trend in Facebook Ads - Video Ads

Nowadays video ads are not just an option, they are a requirement.

Why use video ads?

• Video ads convert up to X3 times better than regular image ads.
  • Video ads stand out of the crowded Facebook feed and capture users attention.
  • Video ads have an average click-through rate (CTR) of 1.84%, the highest click-through rate of all digital ad formats
  • With video you can tell a story, showcase different products and provide large amount of information in short time.
  • Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it in text.

You get the point 🙂

Video ads used to be expensive...But!

Until recently video ads were only used by large organizations, small business owners couldn’t enjoy the great benefits of video ads.
You no longer need to hire a professional agency or spend thousands of $ on production costs. 

You can now do it yourself using TopVid!
*Disclaimer: I am the founder of TopVid

Our unique video builder makes it extremely simple to customize our video templates, add images and texts. In just a few minutes you can have a production quality video.

Attaching a few video ad examples (created using our tool in just a few minutes):

Mark_Kelsch
Tourist
3 0 1

Hello,

I think no one is addressing the huge " Elephant in the room" problem, there are so many people and e-commerce store owners are running ads on Facebook that its getting saturated every day with ads in users newsfeed, personally when I log into Facebook and check my feed there are tons of worthless ads that I'm now starting to block because most of them are spam and don't relate to me at all. In so many words, be different try something new and differeng, I'm sorry to say but Facebook has let ads run crazy and people are getting tired of seeing them everywhere on their Facebook page so iIdon't think they are as effective as they used to be months ago!

Garrett_Heath
Tourist
7 0 2

Jake,

The first piece of advise is to not focus on the "raw number" of how much you're spending, but rather focus on the rate of return. I'd spend $10,000 a day, every day, on Facebook ads if it netted me $50,000! 

The second thing you need to realize is that most Cost Per Clicks on Facebook around going to be any where from $0.25 to $1.00—so taking the middle road of $0.50, your $5.00 investment is only going to get you about 10 clicks a day. The funnel starts working from there—how many put in a cart? How many start checkout? How many finish checkout? This is a numbers game and the key is making sure that your margins on a product are enough to handle what you have to pay on Facebook to get a conversion. 

I think that Jarrett's advice is valid, but I'd caution against being "stupid" and call it more "curious." Don't get pidgeon holed into one way of thinking. Ideate, test and evaluate. Do more of what works. Remember that with Facebook, you're working with "rates" — you want to optimize your Cost Per Conversion. So if you are paying on average $5 to convert something on an idea that you have $15 margins on, that's a deal I would do all day long! It makes it easy to scale to $1000/day if you have the inventory, demand, etc.

Definitely muck around with the backend and test, test, test! That's the best way to learn—and find people's videos (like Jarrett's) that are actually helpful. Good luck and happy experimenting!

Garrett_Heath
Tourist
7 0 2

I would replace the word "stupid" with "curious," but totally agree with the sentiment here (check out my response in this thread for more info). As a social marketing professional for a day job and one who runs a smallish ecomm site that spends a decent chunk on Facebook (thousands not millions like Jarrett), I've been equally disgusted with all the get rich schemes. The videos that he's posted to his Facebook site are legitimately helpful and worth watching to learn more—they're the videos I'd love to make if I had the time (though I would've charged something for them! that's how good they are!).

Thomas_Valdez
Explorer
68 0 15

$5 a day is enough for a start. But you have to create good ads.
Try to introduce emotions to the ads and use outstanding images.
Now it depends what you are trying to achieve:
- brand awareness (show the crucial info in the ad itself and try to get as low clicks as possible)
- a lot of sales (show as much info about the final product as possible, to narrow down the audience. Make sure you only pay for those customers who actually order from you)

~Valdez
Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

Thomas Valdez - When you mention "Make sure you only pay for those customers who actually order from you". Would this me considered a Website Conversion - Purchase Ad? 

A problem I ran into is my audience say 480K and I run a Purchase campaign the suggested bid is around $17 and my profit is only around $10 obvisouly resulting in a negative ROI. Do you suggest manually bidding your Purchase WC ads and set to Maximum a certain amount?

Thanks

Noelani_Alessi1
Tourist
7 0 1

Hey Jake.. I've got a couple site design tips if you're interested.  Not sure how to dm but there are def. Done quick fixes that can improve your site overall 🙂

Jake_Boss
Tourist
15 0 1

That would be wonderful... please email me at support@shopopp.com. Thanks so much. Very much appreciated as this is a new store and my first store. 

Paul_Smith1
2 0 0

I agree with john i tried FB adds for my store got a few people to my store but with no conversion i cancelled all fb adds and joined a number of fb groups where i get liads of exposure and within 2 weeks over tripled my daily traffic all for free and with people interested in your product