FROM CACHE - en_header

URL with duplicate content

nights
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello

can anyone help me please? I made collections (they are not in the main menu, for keyword purposes only)

.com/sport-leggings/

.com/women-leggings/

.com/leggings/

These collections have same products, but different meta desription and title. I think its not seo friendly, duplicate content (same products). How solve this problem? I used these collection in my blog posts and urls are crawled by google.

I have some ideas, but i am not sure which is right one.

1) Add to collection unique items, but will be not up to date, becouse i have only few items

2) Make 301 redirect to main collection (.com/women-fitness-leggings) in Menu

3) Delete these collections

I think 2 is winner, but i am not sure.

Thank you very much

Roland

Replies 3 (3)
KieranR
Shopify Partner
310 25 105

Are they exactly the same lists of products, or similar?

Personally I don't think dupe content on ecom category pages is that big of a deal - it's pretty much normal in ecommerce. Especially when you put it in context of Shopify, there are much larger dupe content issues inherent to the platform like multiple URL's for a single product and collection tag pages.

But if you held a gun to my head and forced me to pick one of your options I'd go for 1 because it's the only option that stands a chance to show up for 3 category search topics, internal 301 redirects are an even less optimal solution, and removing pages means effectively you're never gonna show up for that thing the page was about.

Full time Shopify SEO guy, based in NZ. Sometimes freelance outside the 9-5.
AnnaC_
1 0 2

IMO, you are correct in that #2 is the better option of the three. Also if you could set rel=canonical tags to your main category. that would reinforce the authority you're trying to set for the /women-leggings/ page.

nights
Tourist
4 0 0

KieranR: The products in category was same i mixed each category by different products. Thank you very much

AnnaC_: Where i can set up for these category please?

.com/sport-leggings/

.com/leggings/

.com/women-leggings

So these three rel=canonical to main cat /women-fitness-leggings/ yes, I need the the highest authority on this category