Why does Google Tag Manager show as not connected after finishing setup?

Why does Google Tag Manager show as not connected after finishing setup?

alejandrapmarin
Visitor
2 0 1

I have been trying to add the Google tag to my store but for some reason it is not working. 

I added the tag manually.

Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 10.42.01 AM.png

Then, on the preview window on GTM it looks like its connected.

Screen Shot 2023-02-26 at 10.37.58 AM.png

However as soon as I hit finish, it goes back to not connected. This happens every time I try the debug. Any thoughts? I'm out of sorts here. 

Replies 3 (3)

PageFly-Richard
Shopify Partner
4394 1005 1657

Hi @alejandrapmarin,

This is Richard from PageFly - Shopify Page Builder App

To use Google Tag Manager with your Shopify Plus online store, you need to copy the snippets into the theme.liquid and checkout.liquid files.

Note: Google Tag Manager is available only to stores on the Shopify Plus plan.

1. Copy the first code snippet from Google Tag Manager into the <head> tags of your theme.liquid and checkout.liquid code:

• Copy the first code snippet from Google Tag Manager
  • In your Shopify admin, open your theme.liquid file.
  • Paste the code snippet as high in the <head> of the theme.liquid code as possible.
  • Open your checkout.liquid file.
  • Paste the code snippet as high in the <head> of the checkout.liquid code as possible.

2. Copy the second code snippet from the Google Tag Manager into the <body> tags of your theme.liquid and checkout.liquid code:

• In your Shopify admin, open the theme.liquid page.
  • Paste the code snippet as high in the <body> of the theme.liquid page as possible.
  • Open the checkout.liquid page.
  • Paste the code snippet as high in the <body> of the checkout.liquid code as possible.

3. In your Shopify admin, click Save.

You can read this guide for the setup process: 

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/reports-and-analytics/google-analytics/google-tag-manager

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions. 

Good luck and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Richard | PageFly

Please let me know if it works by giving it a Like or marking it as a solution!

PageFly - #1 Page Builder for Shopify merchants.

All features are available from Free plan. Live Chat Support is available 24/7.

alejandrapmarin
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you for your reply! 

I have upgraded my plan but I still don't have the checkout.liquid page. Should I be looking for it elsewhere?

Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 10.00.42 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-03-09 at 9.59.23 AM.png

flareAI
Shopify Partner
2405 223 540

Hello @alejandrapmarin,

I am Gina from flareAI app - free sales machine, and I am here to provide assistance.

There could be several reasons why you're experiencing this issue.

Here are some things to consider and try:

1. Make sure that the Google Tag Manager code is installed correctly on your Shopify store. Double-check the instructions to ensure that you've installed the code correctly.

2. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. Sometimes, old data can cause issues with connecting to Google Tag Manager.

3. Ensure that you have published the changes in Shopify. If you've made changes in Shopify but haven't published them, it could be causing the issue.

4. Try using a different browser or device to see if the problem persists. Sometimes, browser extensions or settings can interfere with Google Tag Manager.

5. Check if there are any conflicts with other tags or apps installed on your Shopify store. Disable any unnecessary tags or apps temporarily and try connecting to Google Tag Manager again.

6. Try using a different Google account to connect to Google Tag Manager. Sometimes, issues can arise with specific accounts.

6. Contact Shopify support or Google Tag Manager support for further assistance. They may be able to identify the issue and provide a solution.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with linking Google Tag Manager to your Shopify store.

Gina

flareAI : Get Sales from Google Search, on Autopilot
$10+ billion in eCommerce on Google Search, every day. Find out how much you are missing