EU based business selling to UK

andauser
Explorer
69 0 35

Hello community,

I have a store based in Germany and I would like to expand my store to the UK. Now I do not collect any VAT from UK customers and they see my prices without VAT.

(For instance: when someone from Germany orders they pay 12 Euro ( 10 euro for product + 2 euro VAT), but when someone from UK orders they only pay 10 euros).

However, UK customers' packages are then stopped at the border, and customers pay duty&vat for their packages, which is annoying from the customer's perspective.

I would like to include every delivery duty & vat to my prices when someone from the UK orders from my website so that my customers do not deal with any customs, and the price they see is the total price they pay including vat&duty. What is the easiest way to do that? 

Replies 3 (3)

Don
Shopify Staff
2765 199 388

Hi there @andauser!

Thanks for sharing your concern with us here in the Shopify Community.

Our first advice for any questions relating to taxation would be to consult a qualified expert in your jurisdiction if you wish to confirm what you should be charging and when.

That said, we do have some info here on our guide to UK taxes and Brexit that you can check out.

There are a number of links in that guide also that you can check out, to best inform yourself on what you'd need to do in order to sell into the UK from the EU.

Can you tell me a little more about your line of business and the size of orders you tend to handle?

This may affect what you need to be able to do, depending on the value of the average order you'd be sending.

In any case, let me know how we can help out here!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ArdiG
8 0 0

Hello, 

If you want to tackle this issue, you need to register for UK VAT, then you can collect the VAT in advance as you do in the EU.

Meant for all non-UK businesses who sell goods with a value under £135 directly to UK consumers (B2C).

You can assign a fiscal representative who offers the below services.

• registration for VAT in the UK
  • compilation and submission of VAT returns
  • guidance for VAT payment
  • handling of tax office correspondence to ensure customer’s compliance with local legislation you need help feel free to write to me: ardi.ghorbani@eurora.com

TeemuEAS
Shopify Partner
117 1 22

Hi Andauser, 

We have released a solution to help you comply with UK and the rest of EU for that matter: https://apps.shopify.com/eas-eu-compliance

We want to make your life easy, so we provide full support for UK VAT, EU OSS and DDP calculation if over 135£. All in one package. 

Leading European cross-border VAT compliance automation
https://apps.shopify.com/eas-eu-compliance