Expand globally with international domains

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
74 0 37

Shopify merchants can now assign individual domains to a country/region. This allows you to offer a default currency and language (or set of language options) on individual domains in order to provide a localized browsing experience to your buyers all around the world. This feature is available to merchants on Shopify, Shopify Advanced, and Shopify Plus plans.

For example, let’s say you are a merchant based in the United States, currently selling both within the US and to Canada on your website shop.com. You can now:

• Use your existing shop.com domain to target the United States with USD as the default currency and English as the default language
  • Setup shop.ca or ca.shop.com to target Canada with CAD as the default currency, English as the default language, and French as a language option.

When using international domains and multiple languages, Shopify automatically handles all hreflang and SEO best practices to give your site the best chance of being indexed regionally by search engines. If a buyer happens to land on the wrong domain, you can provide on site currency and language recommendations using the Geolocation app.

International domains rely on merchants selling in multiple currencies with Shopify Payments, and to offer multiple languages you must offer translations via a compatible 3rd party translations app.

NOTE: Merchants are responsible for adding their own top level domains (TLDs) or subdomains for use with this feature. International domains does not alter the domain purchasing flow or guarantee the availability of new domains for you to purchase.

Resources

If you have any questions or feedback about this new feature reply below as we’d love to hear from you. If you looking for troubleshooting support please get in touch with our support team, or create a new topic providing as much detail as possible.

Cole

Cole | Product @Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Replies 76 (76)
ajmarriage
Tourist
11 0 0

Hi there, hoping for a little help with our decision wether to create a new store or use an international domain (or if that is initial premise is flawed and that creating an international domain is the same as creating a new Shopify store...)

We are an established store based in the UK. However we do have a sizeable amount of international sales coming primarily from the US.

The non-UK experience is powered by Global-e and we would like to move away from this for US traffic.

We would like to have a US store e.g. us.our-site.com that we can tailor as needed and importantly use Shopifys native checkout experience.

We would want the US store to have the same products and not having to merchandise them separately would be ideal.

In the longer term that it would be good to have US specific copy or creative for US traffic.

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
74 0 37

Hi @ajmarriage thanks for your message.

What are you using with Global-e today that is essential for you to sell into the US?

It's absolutely correct that you can have separate domains that target different countries/regions within a single Shopify store, and the control the pricing for each market with international pricing. These features are currently contingent on the use of Shopify Payments, so if you are already using SP or would consider using it, we can definitely help you with this transition.

Cole | Product @Shopify 

Gaelle1
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi @coleatkinson
Thanks for all of the useful info on this thread. I have a few more questions that I am hoping you can help me with:

1. We currently have a .com URL aimed at all locales. If we were to add a .co.uk domain as our main domain in Shopify, could we have the .com website for US customers only and the .co.uk for all other locales (UK + EU, Asia, Canada, etc)?
  2. Is it possible to set a store currency per domain (USD for the .com website & GBP for the .co.uk website) or can a store only have 1 store currency in the back-end?
  3. With regards to international domains and apps…
    1. We are currently using Klarna on our website but it only works for the UK & EU as Klarna requires a separate URL for the US. Could we link our new US Klarna account to our .com website only and have our EU Klarna account appear on the .co.uk website only?
    2. We use Reviews.io to gather and feature customer reviews. The app can only have widgets displayed on 1 unique URL so we would need a separate account for the .co.uk website. Would the {{ request.host }} feature enables us to show different widgets on different websites as well as correctly display star rating and number of reviews on our Google listings for each domain?
  4. Finally, we use the app Affiliatly to run our affiliates program, would our affiliates need an affiliate link for each domain or would customers get redirected to their region with the geo-targeting app?

Thanks!

ajmarriage
Tourist
11 0 0

Hi Cole,

We use global-e to set country specific pricing - importantly including the duty and tax as part of the price. 

We currently have Shopify Payments setup, so good on that side of things.

Would we be able to set the prices in the same manner as global-e with the taxes and duty included?

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
74 0 37

Hi @Gaelle1, great questions thank you!

1. I would suggest you continue to use your .com address to target all locales, and then use your .co.uk domain to target the UK in GBP specifically, not the other way around. You can certainly do this with international domains and Shopify Payments.
  2. You can sell in multiple currencies from one store provided you are using Shopify Payments
  3. I will get someone to follow up with you on the use of Klarna across both domains
  4. I would check with reviews.io if their widgets can only display one on URL means they can only be displayed on on store. Normally what apps intend to do with this is indicate that to use their app across multiple stores, it needs to be paid for in each store. I would be very surprised if their widget only displayed on one of your international domains. This might be a better question directed towards them - you can ask them how their app works when you have multiple international domains loaded into a single store
  5. For your affiliate links, I wold highly recommend getting your affiliates links that pertain to their locale i.e. share .co.uk links with affiliates in the UK, and .com links for affiliates everywhere else. If this isn't possible, then you can use the Geolocation app to direct visitors to the right place if they land on the "wrong" URL e.g. someone from the UK gets sent to .com.

Hope this helps!

Cole | Product @Shopify 

bracknelson
Excursionist
42 0 5

Expanding the business internationally is a very big and recent technique to augment the reach of your business and this is something every online shop owner should do to hit the different types of demographic of people and increase the reach of your business. I will also suggest you use your .com address to hit your local area community and then use your .co.UK domain to target the peoples all over the World. You can do this with international domains and Shopify Payment method.

LuckyIsrael
Tourist
4 0 0

so what is the set back? I do like to know the main reason to restricted membership? 

datomnz
3 0 0

Hi @coleatkinson , is it possible to restrict certain products on different domains? Or specifically if a customer has chosen they want to ship to say Australia, the store only shows those products which are able to be shipped to Australia?

coleatkinson
Shopify Staff
74 0 37

You can control the availability of content per domain with the request.host liquid filter in your theme files. This would require knowledge of liquid to implement, however we are working on making this a more native process.

You can use shipping profiles to ensure that only the products that are available to certain countries can be shipped there.

Cole | Product @Shopify 

datomnz
3 0 0
Hi, would this method also include domain specific content (non-product
related)? For example if I wanted to add a banner promoting something on
one domain but not another, could I do this via the request.host liquid
filter too?