Feature Request: Integration of Taxamo assure into the checkout for UK companies selling to EU

Solved
amanda_drury
Tourist
8 0 59

I'm not sure how to put in a features request - please can someone tell me if this way doesn't work.

I have been looking into how as a small business I can improve the experience for my EU customers of purchasing from myself, post Brexit as a UK business.

Royal Mail have recommended a company called Taxamo assure which acts as a IOSS. They calculate and charge the customer VAT and pay it to the EU on our behalf without us having to fill in the VAT return. They charge £2 for each transaction. It sounds like the perfect solution but unless you are a shopify plus business one cannot get access to the Shopify checkout and do the API integration. The irony is if you are a shopify plus customer you will be big enough and it will be more cost effective to set up your own IOSS.

I have spoken to support about this who have suggested that I put in a feature request. So here it is. If more people can also express an interest in this feature it may have more chance of being implemented and go somewhere to ease the Brexit headache of doing business with the EU.

Replies 328 (328)
Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

Yes we are a little overwhelmed with actually getting people signed up. Make a request for more info and I will give you my number.. We can have a brief chat and you will be clear on how we are working. 

Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41
We do not have any contract. If you want to change to another provider you will need to file for a change of intermediary but Crossborderit does not tie you into anything.
Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

It takes 1-3 days to get a number. You will receive a message from the Swedish tax authorities.  There will be a manual upload for the short term into our system but we have a Shopify extension in beta right now so hopefully it can go automated in about a month. 

Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

Yes, We have no contract.. If you change your intermediary you can change to someone esle. There is no obligation. We only charge if you use our service. 

Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

If you folks need support contact me at damon@crossborderit.com

thegreengables
1 0 1
plannerface
1 0 1
Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41
Ruby_Honnor
1 0 2

An integration between Shopify and Taxamo is so necessary right now to help small businesses navigate the new VAT changes. Please add this feature Shopify! 

SMU
Excursionist
23 0 48

If anyone on here has already signed up to crossborder it please can you let us know how easy it was to do and if you came across any initial issues with it?

Thank you

LauraECY
Excursionist
30 0 40
The registration process for Cross Border IT was really quick and easy! Now
we just have to wait for our IOSS number and then see what happens after
that.
Kirsty_Thomas
1 0 0

Can I ask how that will work with Shopify - is there an integration at checkout or do you need to file a daily/weekly report?

Thanks

SMU
Excursionist
23 0 48

I have just spoken with Damon at crossborderit. Extremely helpful and it seems very straightforward so I am going ahead with this. Thank you Damon for the clarity, really appreciate it!

Christian48
Excursionist
19 0 14

I signed up yesterday and got my IOSS number from the Swedish Tax authority today. So far so good 🙂

SMU
Excursionist
23 0 48

I have just signed up to crossborderit. 

I am unsure what the update from Shopify will look like with regard to the automatic tax update. My only hope is that they do not apply VAT to ALL countries as it isn't applicable to ALL countries when selling from the UK. We shall have to wait and see what this looks like after July 1st. Perhaps shopify could hop back in here to let us know about the automatic tax update for the VAT in the EU?

amanda_drury
Tourist
8 0 59

I looked at this and was quite alarmed to see two false statements in the first paragraph, I stopped reading here as I lost complete faith in your product. I suggest you fix thisScreenshot 2021-06-30 at 12.16.31.png

amanda_drury
Tourist
8 0 59

for the record - I don't accept the solution the member of the Shopify Staff has given to this issue

Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

I see the confusion and will fix the web copy but to clarify. 

The idea of the IOSS is that the merchant collects the taxes on behalf of the customer. So it can be paid in the buying country. Yes, that is confusing and I will clarify it. 

The second statement I will also modify. The meaning here is for IOSS of course there are both duties and taxes for high-value shipments but it falls out of the IOSS Protocol. 

I will fix the web copy. Thank you for calling it out. 

Dbaca
Pathfinder
160 0 41

One more comment on there were no taxes levied below 150 there was a variable De Minimis in each country. Taxes were not levied on that but not the De Minimis for Duties is up to 150. So that is confusing and I will find a new way to Phrase it but neither of these statements are wholly false more so simplifications. 

Boo14
Excursionist
11 0 10

Thanks for all of the info on this thread. This whole thing is just so frustrating! I just thought that I would add that I have just got off of a call with HMRC and was told that they have been advised that there should be a way to register for IOSS on the gov.uk website tomorrow! Apparently it can't go live until the new tax arrangement does! Here's hoping! If not, Crossborderit sounds like a good option in the meantime.