How can I sell digital products internationally without shipping rates?

Gedeve
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hey All, 
My store has digital products only that I'd like to sell world wide. However I can't seem to add markets like, Australia, where I HAVE to add a shipping rate. But since I can't add shipping rates to a digital products... 

What is the way to sell digital internationally? 

Thank you,

Screenshot 2023-07-08 132601.png

Replies 4 (4)

Skye
Shopify Staff
1101 98 196

Hi, @Gedeve 

This is a great question, thanks for posting!

Essentially, you will create the Shipping Zone, but don't add rates to it. This will allow your customers to checkout from all of the regions you intend to sell to. 

I hope that helps! In the meantime, as your new to Shopify, make sure to check out Shopify Learn which has loads of free courses on all things ecommerce! 

Skye | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Rostislav
Shopify Partner
190 12 29

HI Gedeve,

One more thing that you should take into considerations when selling digital products. They are taxable in some countries. If you intend to sell  B2C to the EU or the UK you have to collect and pay VAT to the respective tax authorities using  EU VAT special scheme (Non-Union OSS ) or VAT UK registration for sales in the UK .

we can help you set-up the store properly and register you for the VAT schemes .   

www.easproject.com - the best EU and UK VAT compliance solution.
HC10
Visitor
1 0 0

Is there a place to find what countries tax for digital products? Any type or resources to read up on this. Thanks! 

Rostislav
Shopify Partner
190 12 29

HI HC, 

Unfortunately , it  is not that easy :). It depends on the product type. I can give only general description here.  Audio books and E-books in most EU countries are levied at the reduced rate (with some exceptions : Slovakia, Denmark, Ireland, Hungary  - in these countries downloadable books are considered as electronic services and apply standard rates to the them).  All software and music come at standard rate.

There are more rules for transport, vehicle hire and other services but these services are not usually sold online cross border.  There are also exceptions for educational services in some EU countries. 

In UK e-books are 0 rated and audio books are 20 percent. All other usual downloadable services are standard rated. 

VAT rates can be found at EU pages: VAT rules and rates: standard, special & reduced rates - Your Europe (europa.eu).     

www.easproject.com - the best EU and UK VAT compliance solution.