Solved

How to implement a city dropdown menu in checkout for multi-region delivery?

Anfield_Road
Visitor
2 0 2

Hi,

I've seen older versions of this question, without solutions, so would appreciate any guidance.

We operate a Shopify Plus site and want to offer multi-region delivery. Operating in MENA, we have a dropdown for Emirate in the UAE. We need to replicate this function (but for city) for Oman, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi. None of these shipping zones/locations offer provinces.

Our problem is that our courier requires a consistent format for City value in our orders to route the parcel. The free text field for City entry is blocking our data transfer to the courier and we are rejecting orders. Can anyone recommend a solution that will allow us to offer City as a dropdown in the checkout with consistent/predefined values?

Thanks

Accepted Solution (1)

SayhiBeauty
Visitor
1 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

I have the same exact issue, we are building a store which I have personally taken hours and hours to develop and it right on this last step so we can have a more realiable checkout experience, we found out Shopify does not offer Shipping Zones for our country (Dominican Republic). It would be a shame to have wasted all this time on building our store and having to then pivot to another e-commerce platform :(.

If shopify would not automatically add the shipping zones for certain countries, they should at least allow users to create it, ultimately is on the STORE to ensure they have the correct data for their customers to select for proper shipping experience. 

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

SayhiBeauty
Visitor
1 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

I have the same exact issue, we are building a store which I have personally taken hours and hours to develop and it right on this last step so we can have a more realiable checkout experience, we found out Shopify does not offer Shipping Zones for our country (Dominican Republic). It would be a shame to have wasted all this time on building our store and having to then pivot to another e-commerce platform :(.

If shopify would not automatically add the shipping zones for certain countries, they should at least allow users to create it, ultimately is on the STORE to ensure they have the correct data for their customers to select for proper shipping experience. 

Anfield_Road
Visitor
2 0 2

That is the solution. Don't use Shopify

After multiple exhaustive conversations with potential providers and developers the only solution on offer was an expensive customer development (charged per additional country).

It's more cost effective for us to abandon Shopify and replace it with a more flexible platform, which we will do in the coming weeks.